Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feeling MACNaughty!

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
Have any of you ladies spent some good money on vintage looking cosmetics, simply because that look is you??

Im about to splurge a couple hundred dollars on some MAC....but its not just a whim.....its based on my look and who I am

Reassure me Please!

Tatum

Practically Family
A couple hundred on MAC? Can I join in? :D

Seriously, RitaHayworth, good for you! If it is stuff you will use all the time, and/or enjoy the daylights out of, then go for it! I love MAC products, I have more eyeshadows that I can't live without than I can fit in my train case!

Is that the reassurance you needed? ;)

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
Tatum said:
A couple hundred on MAC? Can I join in? :D

Seriously, RitaHayworth, good for you! If it is stuff you will use all the time, and/or enjoy the daylights out of, then go for it! I love MAC products, I have more eyeshadows that I can't live without than I can fit in my train case!

Is that the reassurance you needed? ;)

Ha ha ha! Yes! These products are specially recommended for my fave look.....the Priscilla Presley of the 60s look!

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
I just dont know how it happened, but a tonne of MAC stuff jumped into my shopping cart and checked itself out! lol

Gives me an excuse to clean out the cupboard of stuff I have had for 7 +years, but never wear (mostly eyshadows) - how long are they meant to keep for?

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
They say only 6 months... planned obsolescence?
I have some eyeshadows I have had years and years, no ill effects when I use them.
Foundations on the other hand, seem to go bad very quickly. I guess keeping them in the Frigidaire would help...
The only MAC item I truly love is their Ruby Woo lipstick - but that, I cannot be without!

Tatum

Practically Family
RitaHayworth said:
I just dont know how it happened, but a tonne of MAC stuff jumped into my shopping cart and checked itself out! lol

Gives me an excuse to clean out the cupboard of stuff I have had for 7 +years, but never wear (mostly eyshadows) - how long are they meant to keep for?

I tend to keep things longer than six months, but not more than eighteen. Usually they tell me to throw them out by getting chunky, not applying consistently, etc.

YAY! Happy MAC!

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
While there are the rules about how long to keep items, I stand by my rule of thumb: If it smells or is chunky, toss it out!
Cosmetics (especially cream or liquid items) harbor bacteria and that's what one needs to be cautious with when dealing with items that are more than a year old.
For powder items, they should be fine and if you want to make sure you are doubly safe, swipe a cotton ball semi soaked in alcohol across the top layer of eyeshadows and powder and allow to dry before using them.

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
RebeccaMUA said:
While there are the rules about how long to keep items, I stand by my rule of thumb: If it smells or is chunky, toss it out!
Cosmetics (especially cream or liquid items) harbor bacteria and that's what one needs to be cautious with when dealing with items that are more than a year old.
For powder items, they should be fine and if you want to make sure you are doubly safe, swipe a cotton ball semi soaked in alcohol across the top layer of eyeshadows and powder and allow to dry before using them.

Thats a great Tip!!

Tatum

Practically Family
RebeccaMUA said:

Excellent!

katiekat

New in Town
I got told by a make up artist in college that the only things you need to really concern yourself with are mascara, liquid eyeliner, and liquid foundation. Her reasoning was that lipstick you didn't wear was never going to be worn anyway, any kind of liquid or cream concealer was going to be used enough that you would notice if it was beginning to go off, and that unless you were drawing in moisture to pressed powders, they never really went bad. Personally, I agree with RebeccaMUA. Chuck it if it's funky.

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
katiekat said:
I got told by a make up artist in college that the only things you need to really concern yourself with are mascara, liquid eyeliner, and liquid foundation. Her reasoning was that lipstick you didn't wear was never going to be worn anyway, any kind of liquid or cream concealer was going to be used enough that you would notice if it was beginning to go off, and that unless you were drawing in moisture to pressed powders, they never really went bad. Personally, I agree with RebeccaMUA. Chuck it if it's funky.

I guess the thing is, Ive had some of these things for years and NOT used them. So out they go! Especially concealer "sticks" which might be harboring nasties!

Im going to throw a mascara out, but I read a great tip to wash an old wand, and keep it to comb through lashes after applying masccara to take any clumps out. :)

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
Im going to do my clean out today.

:eek:fftopic: I have had the worst week of my life. Man trouble, work trouble, stress, daylight saving commencing (its only an hour, but does leaping forward ruin our internal clocks or what?), study and assignments and not to mention.....the drama in the decision making of what nail polish and make up I am going to wear :eusa_doh: :) lol

Im taking a new outlook on life and getting rid of the "old" and making a "new".

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
RitaHayworth said:
Im going to do my clean out today.

:eek:fftopic: I have had the worst week of my life. Man trouble, work trouble, stress, daylight saving commencing (its only an hour, but does leaping forward ruin our internal clocks or what?), study and assignments and not to mention.....the drama in the decision making of what nail polish and make up I am going to wear :eusa_doh: :) lol

Im taking a new outlook on life and getting rid of the "old" and making a "new".

Good for you! You can look at it from this perspective: For everything you toss, give away or donate you can replace it with a like item that you WILL use :) That way, you won't feel so bad about getting rid of it.

And to the ladies that responded to my post about liquid and creams-the chemists who work for the makeup company I used to work for gave us those tips/guidelines so I wasn't pulling that info from thin air ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn