Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Felt ribbon?

Canadave

One Too Many
I saw an old guy wearing a fedora today. The hat didn't look very old, and it was a modern style.

It had a felt "ribbon", the same colour as the hat. What up wit dat? Anyone seen that before? (What a question...of course someone here will have seen it and will be able to 'splain me the whole deal.;))

David

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I saw a green Borsalino in a hat store here in SD that had a felt ribbon. It was styled to look like thick chain links, and was the exact color of the hat.

I also won a white woman's hat off ebay that had a matching felt band. Alas, the brim was too, too stingy. Audrey Hepburn would have looked good in it, but not me.

I am not sure the green Borsalino was a man's hat, perhaps it was. I ought to go back and check.

karol

Originally posted by Canadave
Thanks guys...the one I saw didn't have any visible stitching.

David

PS Hey JP...you should have quit at 1111!!!

Yeah, I noticed that. Is it true that you get a free Optimo at the 1111 mark? ;) I will have to watch for 2222 next. LOL
You were at 444 a few messages ago. That means you are entitled to a free new stetson. :D

Regards to all,

J

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
I have a Cervo trilby with a felt, non-patterned ribbon. Maybe it's an Italian thing. It looks fine on that hat (which I don't wear all that much, except to the Montrose, California, Oktoberfest each year), but I wouldn't want all my hats with felt bands.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
On the Cervo note, in my quest for a modern Cavanagh edge, I recently checked to see if they did them. The answer is no, just sewn welt edge. Oh well. I'd like to see their modern hats.

Brad

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
I have two Cervos: one was made for Barbisio (a competitor of Borsalino), and it is by far the best. It is dark khaki/brown and has a whip-stitched edge, which I've never seen on any other hat. It also has a very thin and supple sweat band. But the quality of the felt is the finest I've ever, well...felt. It's heavy, but very soft. "Buttery" is the phrase a lot of people use when feeling the brim. The block it came with was a center dent, but the last time I had it cleaned I had the shop put in an open block crown, so I could bash it myself.

My other Cervo, which is labeled "Bantam," is even quirkier. It's a medium green, and the felt is not as heavy or dense as the Barbisio, but if anything, it's even softer. You can bash it with thoughtwaves. The sweatband is stiffer, but there's no lining. This is the one with the felt band, and it also has verticle pleats on each side. The brim is on the narrow side -- maybe 2 1/2 or so -- and has no edging, but concentric stictching runs through it, like canvas hats have. Like the pleats, I'm not sure if there's a reason for that or if it's just for style. Snapping up the brim in front (which I generally don't do), it looks like a hat a 1930's comedian like Ted Healy might wear.

Barbisio is probably one of the best modern felts out there. I have to agree on that. They are however priced pretty high (about the same as or higher than the Borsalino) and, as you mentioned, the blocks on their hats are not spectacular at all. If you want a teardrop or C crown then you have to have it done when you buy the hat. It is still a very nice hat for modern workmanship and when you consider what you get for the same price in a modern Borsalino.
The Cervo Bantam should be lighter weight. That is what they tout it as anyway. I have never seen one up close and felt the felt though.
Another hat brand from Italy that I would like to get a read on is Panizza. I have seen them in pictures and their styles do not impress me much but I am curious about the felt quality. Their Rover and Supreme look to be interesting hats but the brims are too small for me at 2". Anyone familiar with this brand?

Regards to all,

J

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
My Bantam doesn't have a liner. The word is stamped in white on the inside of the crown. "Bantam" and "Cervo" are also stamped in gold on the sweat band. I think Cervos and Barbisios run slightly less than Borsalinos. I got my Barbisio on sale for $125, and the Bantam on an even bigger sale for about half that.

Originally posted by Michael Mallory
My Bantam doesn't have a liner. The word is stamped in white on the inside of the crown. "Bantam" and "Cervo" are also stamped in gold on the sweat band. I think Cervos and Barbisios run slightly less than Borsalinos. I got my Barbisio on sale for $125, and the Bantam on an even bigger sale for about half that.

I wouldn't doubt that your Bantam would be different. My example was a vintage one but it had the same markings on the sweatband as yours.
You got your Barbisio for $125. Where? PM me. No need to tell everyone. LOL LOL Seriously though, what size brim does the Barbisio have?

Regards to all,

J

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
I got the Barbisio at Baron California Hats in Burbank. I think they were clearing out stock. But they did get a big order of Cervos not long after that, most of which have since been sold. The brim is 2 3/4. I don't know how to get pictures on the digest here, but if you go to my website (www.michaelmallory.com) there's a mugshot in the hat.

Canadave

One Too Many
Originally posted by Michael Mallory ... Snapping up the brim in front (which I generally don't do), it looks like a hat a 1930's comedian like Ted Healy might wear.

This brings up a question I've been meaning to ask...what makes a "snap brim" a "snap brim"?

Thanks,

David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy