Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Felt stiffness?

Tone

A-List Customer
So basically, Art, you could make a Stetson-grade (or other western grade type of hat that withstands water very well) fedora that actually does have the same amount of resistance for the long term as the really stiff westerns? Sure, it would be as stiff, initially, but it'd be the exact same reaction? Water it down, it gets pliable then returns to the general nature of the harder-shelled feel that it had before it got wet?

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
So basically, Art, you could make a Stetson-grade (or other western grade type of hat that withstands water very well) fedora that actually does have the same amount of resistance for the long term as the really stiff westerns? Sure, it would be as stiff, initially, but it'd be the exact same reaction? Water it down, it gets pliable then returns to the general nature of the harder-shelled feel that it had before it got wet?

Actually, better than most Stetson grades Tone since I use only pure beaver. I have no way of knowing the core degree that Stetson uses in each grade so I can't guarantee "exact same reaction" but I CAN tell you if I used the same density ( I do ) in western felts they will react the same way or better. Add to that the fact that I waterproof each hat before leaving here my guess would be that it will react better.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
First I want to thank fmw for starting this post as a lot of questions I had about this subject have been answered :) Secondly and not leastly, a BIG THANK YOU to Art for taking time from his busy schedule to EXPLAIN in VERY CLEAR and CONCISE language answers to the many questions brought up in this thread. It has been one of the better threads I have had the pleasure to read here :)
Again, THANK YOU BOTH :)

fmw

One Too Many
My thanks to Art as well. I've learned a lot from his appearance in the thread.

Tone

A-List Customer
Simply using 100% beaver felt doesn't impress much as I've seen too many versions that don't do what they're heralded to on the merit of their being made on beaver felt alone; however, it is good to know that you can make this type of hat and that you have the right equipment to make it correctly for the long term (even western-grade fedoras) if and when needed.

Thank you for your time and response. Goes to show that the felt type alone is not always reason enough to choose a hat based solely on that factor. Thank you, again.

Last edited:

Gumbo Book

Familiar Face
I found it pretty interesting to peruse the hat making equipment I found on the web. Everything from crown and brim blocks to sewing machines. It is an interesting craft. I'm always fascinated by how things are made. I have no intention of getting into hat making but I might read the book just for the interest. Thanks again.

Brilliant thread. The best kind. I have learned so much. ( And what I've been doing wrong ) and the kind words from Art and fmw!

And much thanks to fmw for starting the thread.

Viktor

One of the Regulars
I'm interested in making a hat and this thread has been a good jumping point, along with Brad Bowers post on sewing bands. Now in the process of hunting down a few hatters tools, extensive reading and researching.

DRB

One Too Many
Simply using 100% beaver felt doesn't impress much as I've seen too many versions that don't do what they're heralded to on the merit of their being made on beaver felt alone; however, it is good to know that you can make this type of hat and that you have the right equipment to make it correctly for the long term (even western-grade fedoras) if and when needed.

Thank you for your time and response. Goes to show that the felt type alone is not always reason enough to choose a hat based solely on that factor. Thank you, again.

I believe Mr. Art Fawcett, was saying that his beaver western would be at least as good as or better than a Stetson western that is not 100% beaver. But it is 6:30 in the morning and maybe I am still asleep and not understanding.

It has been proven that "all things constant", an average beaver will out perform a average rabbit.

DRB

One Too Many
My opinion is that it is all about the amount of shellac. That OR has substantially more than your Whippet & tho the Borso may have had some initially, it has broken down over time & use.

I have a brand new Borsalino that I could blow a dent into. So, it is possible that your floppy Borso, may not have had any stiffener applied. It is also possible that the felt is not as thick.

Tonyb: I think you hit the nail on the head. Thanks for the explanation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace