Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Female WWII Reenactors?

CA Rosie

New in Town
I'm just curious to see how many female re-enactors we have here. I know Lauren & Vanessa are. If you are, what impressions do you have under your belt?
Me - Russian Princess & French civilian, the ever famous Rosie, Army Nurse ETO & PTO (European & Pacific Theater), German Helfernin(red cross nurse aid), CBS & The New Yorker Correspondent/Photographer, WAC.
I think my next impression will be an ATS memeber like "Sam" on Foyles War. The Britts have cute uniforms.

Katydid

One of the Regulars
Sort of along the same line but sort of off topic....sorry! But....can anyone help me with finding an impression to do? I would love to reenact but I'm one of those slanty eyed devils so to do a realistic impression I think I'd either have to do Russian (I think they had Asians in their military but not sure about women....) or possibly WAC. I saw a picture of a nisei who was an Army nurse and one who was WAC. Any suggestions would be great.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Katydid,
How about a interpreter/translator?

http://www.javadc.org/AJA women_in_wwII.htm

After basic training, the first group of women assigned to the MISLS arrived at Fort Snelling in November 1944. Many of the Nisei women were originally recruited to become military translators because the Army assumed that they were naturally inclined to speak and read Japanese.

http://www.defenselink.mil/news/May1999/n05271999_9905272.html
"Lots of Japanese and Chinese women were trained as interpreters and translators, and some Filipino American women put their lives on the line as members of the underground resistance in the Philippines."

http://www.army.mil/asianpacificsoldiers/WW2women.html

women3.jpg

Not all Asian Pacific American WACs worked as translators during World War II. In 1943, a unit of Chinese American women was recruited to serve with the Army Air Forces as "Air WACs." They performed jobs such as aerial photo interpretation, air traffic control and weather forecasting. U.S. Army photo

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I'm in a WAC unit, but I have stuff to be a nurse, a war correspondent, an interpreter, and, my favorite, a resistance worker. I'm also in the works for making my German Nurse outfit and I'm getting involved in a Spanish Civil War group :) Still on the seach for bits and pieces to complete above impressions, but I'm always in with civilian wear!
Ha! Russian Princess. That was fun. "There is no peace because more people do not eat Chocolate. If everyone ate chocolate we would have no problems" I said before I switched sides multiple times...

MelissaAnne

One of the Regulars
I posted this question on another thread in the WWII forum, but I'll ask it again here if no one minds. :)

How does one start re-enacting? I live in Nebraska and to tell you the truth, I don't know that there is much interest in re-enacting around here. I haven't found anything on the 'Net for this part of the state, either.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Melissa

Katydid

One of the Regulars
Story said:
Katydid,
How about a interpreter/translator?

http://www.javadc.org/AJA women_in_wwII.htm

After basic training, the first group of women assigned to the MISLS arrived at Fort Snelling in November 1944. Many of the Nisei women were originally recruited to become military translators because the Army assumed that they were naturally inclined to speak and read Japanese.

http://www.defenselink.mil/news/May1999/n05271999_9905272.html
"Lots of Japanese and Chinese women were trained as interpreters and translators, and some Filipino American women put their lives on the line as members of the underground resistance in the Philippines."

http://www.army.mil/asianpacificsoldiers/WW2women.html

women3.jpg

Not all Asian Pacific American WACs worked as translators during World War II. In 1943, a unit of Chinese American women was recruited to serve with the Army Air Forces as "Air WACs." They performed jobs such as aerial photo interpretation, air traffic control and weather forecasting. U.S. Army photo
Thanks Story! It's getting late in my neck of the woods but from I managed to glean from scanning the articles, I have a lot more research and reading to do. Thanks so much for the leads!!!!

Story

I'll Lock Up
MelissaAnne said:
I posted this question on another thread in the WWII forum, but I'll ask it again here if no one minds. :)

How does one start re-enacting? I live in Nebraska and to tell you the truth, I don't know that there is much interest in re-enacting around here. I haven't found anything on the 'Net for this part of the state, either.

Any suggestions?
Melissa

Melissa,
You can try networking here - http://ww2reenactors.proboards35.com/
Also, these guys are out of Omaha/Lincoln
http://www.2ndinfdiv.com/html/home/default.asp?sect=1

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Katydid said:
Sort of along the same line but sort of off topic....sorry! But....can anyone help me with finding an impression to do? I would love to reenact but I'm one of those slanty eyed devils so to do a realistic impression I think I'd either have to do Russian (I think they had Asians in their military but not sure about women....) or possibly WAC. I saw a picture of a nisei who was an Army nurse and one who was WAC. Any suggestions would be great.

The Russians had ethnic groups from all over the Soviet Union's territory in their military (including asians) and were the only major power to have women in combat roles on a equal footing with men. There were female infantry soldiers, pilots, etc in addition to their traditional roles as nurses, typists, and the like. Thus you could very realistically reenact Russian as an asian woman.

D-Day-Doll

Familiar Face
I reenact basically every American impression. I kind of have an obsession with uniforms.

To get started in reenacting I would recommend doing alot of research and going out to events to make some contacts.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I reenact WASP, WAVES, WAC, ARC, ANC, and am working on NNC. I've been doing it about a year and a half, and I spend waaaaayyyy too much money on this hobby. lol

There were at least a couple of Asian women in the WASP - Hazel Ah Ying Lee and Maggie Gee - so that would be a doable impression. "Two Chinese Americans, Hazel Ah Ying Lee and Margaret "Maggie" Gee, served as WASPs. Hazel had traveled to China in 1932 with the intention of joining the Chinese Air Force to fight against the Japanese, but was not allowed to do so. She came back to the US, joined the WASP, and was stationed at Romulus Army Air Base, Michigan. On 25 November 1944, she died as the result of a midair collision with another P-63 on landing approach. Maggie felt fortunate to fulfill her dream to fly, especially military airplanes during World War II. She spent her second career as a research scientist. Besides her contribution to the war effort, she is still a role model for young Asian women who are interested in aviation."

I second what Denise said - do your research and try to find some units or MVPA chapters in your area to make contacts. I had a friend who was already into it, and that is how I got started. Local MVPA (Military Vehicle Preservation Association) chapters are a good place to start as they are usually pretty well networked. www.mvpa.org

maisie

Practically Family
I reenact WASP, WAVES, WAC, ARC, ANC, and am working on NNC. I've been doing it about a year and a half, and I spend waaaaayyyy too much money on this hobby.

Don't we all!!:rolleyes:

I reenact British Womens Land Army and WVS, I also have WAC, ANC and ARC uniforms, which i'm hoping to wear sometime this year!! I also go to a Stage Door Canteen Dance, where a few girls wear the red, white and blue aprons and hand out coffee and dougnuts!!:)

C

cherry_bomb

I would LOVE to get involved in something like this!! I've had uniform patterns forever and have yet to use them! I've been digging around online for quite some time, but haven't managed to dig up anything on women's units around Philadelphia. Apparently I'm not searching correctly!

any suggestions?

Story

I'll Lock Up
cherry_bomb said:
I would LOVE to get involved in something like this!! I've had uniform patterns forever and have yet to use them! I've been digging around online for quite some time, but haven't managed to dig up anything on women's units around Philadelphia. Apparently I'm not searching correctly!

any suggestions?

Cherry,
Your best bet would be to catch the Reading Air Show the first weekend in June. Check out this thread -
http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=8735&highlight=reading

Vanessa

One Too Many
Yes! Good idea. Wander around and every time you see a uniform/group that interests you - go talk to them. I'd say 75% of the reenactment hobby is spent talking to people.

Katydid

One of the Regulars
cherry_bomb said:

any suggestions?
I second Story's idea. Reading is a GREAT show and there are tons of people there who would be more than willing to talk to you and help you out!

Even though I could legitimately see combat doing a Russian impression, I think I'd rather stick to American. Even though I'm not gung-ho Asian American I'd like to represent a part of the population that many people don't know much about. After all, part of the great thing about reenacting is honoring all the veterans that have gone before. (p.s. LOVE the mosin nagent. It is such a pleasure to fire one of those.)

P

Paul

TV progam about UK domestic life in the 40's

Reading this thread reminded me of a TV programs made here in the UK shown a few years ago "The 1940 House" this is what it's about

The Channel 4 television series was created as a living experiment. A modern family, the Hymers, lived in a real house under wartime conditions. Their experience of rationing, blackouts, air-raids and day-to-day life was filmed and shown in the TV episodes summarised here.

It might be of interest to you, I do not know if it's on DVD or been re shown in the USA on cable TV
but here is the web site http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites/0-9/1940house/ with info about domestic life in the 40's.
Paul

Cobden

Practically Family
Another re-enactor here: RAF "Erk" Aircraftman Wireless Operator (as in my avatar!) and Royal Navy Able Seaman Visual Signaller.

I'm putting together a Fleet Air Arm Sub-Lieutenant (dying Greek BD required, and perhaps fading a pair or BR trousers a bit), Midshipman (trousers needed - although I have a pair that are externally okay-ish) and RN Sick Berth Attendant (just need to change some buttons and get some insignia, which will be placed on a BR jacket. I find BR stuff very useful for reproducing stuff!). Of course, 1940's Southern Railway Leading Porter I could do too if I wasn't using all my railway stuff for other impressions!

I also go to a Stage Door Canteen Dance, where a few girls wear the red, white and blue aprons and hand out coffee and dougnuts!!
You weren't at the last one by any chance? I was there in a Fleet Air Arm BD-type uniform...

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My dame does...

Here she is with the Mr. at a CAF event. She does a great Red Cross Volunteer too - all the vets just love it and ask for first aid and a photo!!

c1311494.jpg

-dixon cannon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran