Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Female WWII Reenactors?

Snookie

Practically Family
Lockheed, Lockheed! I'm sure that's it! I've been to the local history museum and everything. I'm so disappointed in myself for not remembering. I know it wasn't Hughes, my grandfather worked for them starting in the 50's, so I'm sure I didn't mix that up.

How cool that you have a Museum of Flight. Our plant was torn down and replaced with a shopping center. A vintage-airport themed shopping center, but so poorly executed.

retrogirl1941, such a cute set-up! I'm sure the tea will be a hit.

One burning question, I'm sure it's silly. When one takes a persona of a different nationality, is it proper/expected to change accents? That would be tough.

Snookie, ours is the original Boeing converted-boatyard, moved to Boeing Field and with a larger building thrown up around it. If you and yours ever get up to Seattle, drop a ping a few days out and I'll see if I can make arrangements to play "tour guide". You could say I grew up there...

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Snookie said:
One burning question, I'm sure it's silly. When one takes a persona of a different nationality, is it proper/expected to change accents? That would be tough.
Many do try to change their accents when they reenact a persona of a different nationality. Some are spot-on, others require some work, such as a friend of mine (not a member of the Lounge) who started doing a German impression. At first, his accent sounded more like a cartoon character, almost like a German Kermit the Frog, but with practice he became much, much better. It just takes a good ear (listening to those speaking with the accent) and practice.

For practicing thick, guttural German accents, how can one go wrong trying to emulate Ahhhhnuld, though? lol Just remember, all the Vs are Fs, all the Ws are Vs, "TH" gets replaced with "Z" and almost all the R's get dropped out. Example from T2:
"My CPU is a neu-al netvuhk processuh--a luhning computah. But Skynet pre-sets ze svitch to read-only vhen ve ah sent out alone..."

Spelled phonetically, of course...

leaette

A-List Customer
snookie, the reenactors in my part of the US don't fake accents. from what i've seen, most do it very badly. sure, there are some out there that could fool a national native, but they are far and few between.

as for setting up displays, you set them up at living history events. most events that have a battle also have an encampment area. i just set up off to the side of the military tents. that's so i don't clash with their environment they are trying to achive. or, i set up where the event hosts tell me to set up. hahah.

i set up at an airshow in Akron, OH 2 summers ago at the airfield where they made Corsairs during the war and a little ol' lady came up to my display and said she built planes there. Needless to say, I asked her a million questions. she was shocked that someone cared about her service. and yes, i thank all war workers for their service. without these women, the war would not have been won.

my grandmother was the first woman hired in the pittsburgh steel mills. so i'm a little biased. hahah.

I posted pics of my display awhile ago here. here is the link so you can see what i have.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=21982&highlight=display

Teekay44

One of the Regulars
I don't use an accent. When talking to the public I talk normal. Accents confuse people. When doing my German impressions I speak German, as Kilroy can attest to.:)

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
I'm proud of you ladies!!

Having been a reenactor in many eras, it always seems to be a boys club thing... However most of us fellas are a dime a dozen, compared to when the ladies make a show. I've seen some ladies done up for WWII last year at reenactorfest as homefront and WACS, I gotta say they looked perfect!!

As far a reenacting, there's a living-history angle that can also be worked.

Though many folks show up to see the battle, sometimes the real fight is to keep the crowd busey until the battle, then keeping them around after... That's where the demos and living history comes in!!

Our group uses short vinnettes with things from recruit and enlistment, to home front issues. Currently we've been working out the bugs for a boxing match/exhibition...

I've seen ladies pester the brass looking for a lost husband or son. And even get arrested as a spy...

But the bottom line is be safe and have fun!

Here's to ya!!

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Teekay44 said:
I don't use an accent. When talking to the public I talk normal. Accents confuse people. When doing my German impressions I speak German, as Kilroy can attest to.:)
Indeed, and having served as your interpreter on the train in the past, I can attest that you have the proper accent to go along with it (whether you realize it or not).

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
I think for most people who put an accent on for reenacting, it only comes out when speaking the langauge. When I took french lessons I could put a really nice accent on but I had to speak almost continually in that langauge.

A side note on the tea I am putting on, myself and another Sam are putting on our serving uniforms to really set the mood! I will post pictures for everyone to see. I have a feeling my uniform is going to look more like a sterotypical frendch maid costume:rolleyes: I already ready for the jokes!

Samantha

KilroyCD

One Too Many
leaette said:
i'm asking this out of pure ignorance....

did the CD have a formal uniform. samantha's hat looks like it's part of a formal uniform. would they wear these hats with civi clothes?

how involved were women in the CD?
Robin, The cap Samantha's wearing in that photo is an overseas cap that some Defense Councils adopted. It wasn't universal. Many of the caps were white or navy blue, in addition to khaki, and would be worn with civilian clothing or an "official uniform". The "official uniform" was also not universal, as there were variations due to individual council requirements and specifications. With many councils, the only official uniform was just a helmet and armband.
Women played a very important role in Civilian Defense. Many CD duties were performed by women, and not just in support roles such as answering incoming calls and such. Many were Air Raid Wardens, Fire Watchers, Nurses and Ambulance Drivers, just to name a few.

Lotus Leroux

One of the Regulars
leaette, nice display!

Speaking of Reading, I would like to attend this year and have never been. I am interested in re-enacting but don't really know where/how to start. I am planning on dressing vintage and attending as a spectator. Any suggestions for making the most of the event?

Thanks!
Laura

leaette

A-List Customer
thanks for the compliment.

i can help you with reading. i just PM'd you with my email address. it would be easier to talk on email.

Lil' Miss A

Familiar Face
I re-enactment the Womens Land Army and Women's Timber Corps.

AliatRuffordsmall.jpg

Snookie

Practically Family
Thanks for that website, Lil Miss A! I've guessed at what the WLA from reading British fiction from that era, but was never positive I was correct. Sounds like a hardworking group of girls.

Warden

One Too Many
Mrs W has portayed the WLA (Women's Land Army), usually working with the heavy horses.

However she may portray the WLA, but when I mouse appears, she shows she is a city girl at heart.

Read all about Mrs W WLA impression here.

In the pic below, Mrs W is on top of the threshing machine.

img14.gif

Ho you should also ask Little Sis what it is like to be a member of the WLA. She once appeared in a reality TV show portraying the WLA. Poor girl bet she still has the blisters on her hands.

Tinkery Tonk

Harry

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
WLA re-enactment seems to be very popular at the moment and I have noted a lot of public interest at shows etc. The gear is quite readily available, I think SoF has a page devoted to it in their r-e catalogue. The ladies have a lot of fun and look fabulous!

I have some photos of my Aunt Doris in the WLA in WW1.

Alan

Lil' Miss A said:
I have made a website about the WLA and the WTC... www.freewebs.com/womenofww2 :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran