Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Female WWII Reenactors?

KilroyCD

One Too Many
I've been doing Civilian Defense impressions for about ten years or so, and in an organized group since 2001. I'm a founding member (and C.O.) of Kilroy's Homefront Commandos, which might be the only organized group in the US doing Civilian Defense. Our group is based in Pennsylvania and Maryland, but we now have a second sector (in Florida), so our group is growing. (Retrogirl1941 is the C.O. of our "Southern Sector".) I generally portray a Chief Air Raid Warden, or an Auxiliary Policeman.
WWIIWeekend2007015.jpg

However, I've decided to broaden my horizons and I'm starting to portray an RAF officer. I've been collecting RAF gear for years, and it's merely an extension of this interest. I don't belong to an RAF reenacting group (yet), so I'll be freelancing as an old "battle-axe from Air Marshall Coningham's staff", mainly to drive my friends in RAF groups nuts (in a fun way). lol
100_0658a.jpg

leaette

A-List Customer
yay chris!!! lookin' good. glad to see you are branching out into other impressions.

come hell or high water...i'm coming to Reading this year!

KilroyCD

One Too Many
leaette said:
yay chris!!! lookin' good. glad to see you are branching out into other impressions.
Thanks, Robin. For the longest time I didn't want to do a military role because of my physique. I just didn't think it would be accurate (unless I portray a mess Sgt.). lol But I have been finding more photographic evidence of some heavier ground echelon RAF officers, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I'm looking forward to the new role. :D

I'd love to, but there are only two roles I'm really suited for:
1. MacArthur specifically (but I'd have to be kept in the "background", I'm six inches short and a lot more solidly built than Mac was)
2. One of his aides or direct-reporting subordinates

And, no matter how convincing I may be at carrying myself beyond my years, even if my impression is perfect I don't see a twentysomething being fast-tracked to even light-colonel, let alone five stars...

Also, the fact that there ain't many PTO groups doesn't help, nor very many reenactors in my area at all.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
You should consider coming out east to Reading, PA in June for WWII Weekend. It's a HUGE event with over 1,000 registered reenactors. There is a PTO at this event, but MacArthur's there too, complete with his staff car. Perhaps you could be on his staff...

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
Here are some picures of my impresions. The first one is me as an Air Raid Warden, I portray a zone warden.
arw1.jpg

Here is my general civilian impression in my repro sportswear with my bike that kilroycd restored for me.
bikeppinup.jpg

Samantha

KilroyCD

One Too Many
retrogirl1941 said:
Here are some picures of my impresions. The first one is me as an Air Raid Warden, I portray a zone warden.
arw1.jpg

Here is my general civilian impression in my repro sportswear with my bike that kilroycd restored for me.
bikeppinup.jpg

Samantha
That top photo was taken at my house when she was visiting for an event. Do you know she was actually checking to see if my mini-blinds met blackout regulations?!? lol lol

leaette

A-List Customer
i'm asking this out of pure ignorance....

did the CD have a formal uniform. samantha's hat looks like it's part of a formal uniform. would they wear these hats with civi clothes?

how involved were women in the CD?

Snookie

Practically Family
Retrogirl1941, can I ask what you do when in your impressions? Do you round folks up with a whistle when you're the Air Raid Warden? I'm interested in re-enactment, but I don't think I want to wear a uniform. Other than digging in my own personal Victory garden, I'm not sure how to participate.

Thanks!

leaette

A-List Customer
snookie, there are MANY different things that you can do without reenacting military.
my favorite impression is war worker. and you are in the perfect area too. California had MANY factories. i personally have a small but decent sized display of war worker items and i set up a display and just talk to the public about what women war workers did during the war.
you can do civilian. oh, can you knit or sew? have a display up about sewing during the war with rationing going on, or if you knit, show people what women knitted for soldiers. i have a few pattern books that the yarn companies put out with military patterns in it.

maybe pick up a homefront picture book and look thru it. i'm sure you can find some inspiration in there. but remember...pick something that interests you because you will have to do tons of research. 90% of reenacting is research.

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
Unfortonatley there are no reenactments which call for an air raid drill!:eusa_doh: But I only just started doing an impression with a firearm. You can also just be a housewife(thats what I do most of the time). The sky is the limit. I usaully just do civilan but I change it up with my clothes. This year I finished my 1940s golfing outfit, last year it was the bike outfit. I just love the sportwear from that time.

Samantha

Snookie

Practically Family
I love the sportswear, too! There's so many styles from the era that I just never get around to wearing...especially evening gowns and pyjamas!

OK, so I get what you do, and I'm fascinated by the Homefront, so I could easily work on that. But where do you have your booth, etc? It seems like most re-enactment events are battles, at least that I've found.

I like the idea of war worker. I never thought about CA having more war industry than elsewhere, but I'm sure you're right. I live super close to an old Boeing site (I think...maybe it was Hughes??) -- in fact I think my house was built for the housing boom of war workers moving to the area. 1941. Maybe I should look into the local manufacturing plants more.

retrogirl1941, I wish you could make it out to LA for the Air Raid next month. It's usually manned by local Boy Scouts, I think, but it would be fun to have a girl running around, blowing her whistle!

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
Snookie said:
I love the sportswear, too! There's so many styles from the era that I just never get around to wearing...especially evening gowns and pyjamas!

OK, so I get what you do, and I'm fascinated by the Homefront, so I could easily work on that. But where do you have your booth, etc? It seems like most re-enactment events are battles, at least that I've found.

I like the idea of war worker. I never thought about CA having more war industry than elsewhere, but I'm sure you're right. I live super close to an old Boeing site (I think...maybe it was Hughes??) -- in fact I think my house was built for the housing boom of war workers moving to the area. 1941. Maybe I should look into the local manufacturing plants more.

retrogirl1941, I wish you could make it out to LA for the Air Raid next month. It's usually manned by local Boy Scouts, I think, but it would be fun to have a girl running around, blowing her whistle!

I think one of thee years I will get out to it. But seeing as how there is no money for travel and my wedding is next month. I would pick my wedding over a reenactment!:D I on't get around to doing ARW too much anymore b/c of my duties to kilroys southern sector(I'm the Co as kilroycd metioned). And ths year we are hosting a 1940s tea at ou Ft. Desoto reenactment. The wole weekend focuses on the D-Day reenacment so since my grop sets up a complete 1940s kitchen, we thouht it wold be fun to have a tea(and we are almost at the cut off for it!)!.
pennyandI.jpg

Samantha

Teekay44

One of the Regulars
OHHH OHHH my turn!!!!!

I've been a reenactor for over 20 years. I've got a few impressions. GI, Brit. Tommy, 82AB paratrooper, USMC WWI & WWII, and German infantry.

GebirgsjaegerM1944.jpg

jarhd.jpg

RetouchedTKmarine3.jpg

Snookie said:
Ms. Snookie, I'll bet that plant was probably Lockheed, Hughes or Douglas--Boeing operations were pretty much confined to Seattle/Renton and Wichita. (Plant 2 that built most of the B-17s is across from the Museum of Flight, and what's left of Renton--the original B-29 plant, now 737 final-assembly--is just a short walk from my usual computing-supplies shop.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran