Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Female WWII Reenactors?

Lil' Miss A

Familiar Face
I also do the work...only started last year but manageed to get all of my kit...some original, some not.

I work with a group with clydesdale horses, cows etc. Best moment of last year was learning to drive the Clydesdale :D

AliandRodders.jpg

I'm working more on the Women's Timber Corps this year, and in June I'm working with a lady who's going to teach me how to use my axe and a double handed saw etc etc :) can't wait!!!

Warden

One Too Many
Miss Lil, is that Big Os in the picture? Where you the guys camped behind us at festival of history?

Harry

Also in the news, women who worked the land during World War II to keep Britain supplied with food and timber can now apply for a badge commemorating their efforts. One such sturdy soul is Rosalind Elder, who now lives in Canada.

See BBC news report here.

Indeed here is a period picture, simular to those shown above.

_44385046_rosalind203b.jpg

Lil' Miss A

Familiar Face
Warden said:
Miss Lil, is that Big Os in the picture. Where you the guys camped behind us at festival of history?

QUOTE]

Hello, yes it is Big Oss :) 'old Rodders :)

That was taken at Rufford Abbey last year, great event.

Rodders decided to sleep behid our tent and snore all night lol

Warden

One Too Many
See you don't need a WW2 re-enactment group of 100's just 3.

Click here to see what I mean

The bit with the horse is great

Harry

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Cherry_Bombb said:
Just going through the Reading Airshow weekend pics from last year...
Kilroy, is this you on the post?

feat_3.jpg
Yes, I'm the one in the grey shirt on the spotter's platform. However, that photo is not from last year's event. It's actually from 2002 if I remember correctly.

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
KilroyCD said:
Yes, I'm the one in the grey shirt on the spotter's platform. However, that photo is not from last year's event. It's actually from 2002 if I remember correctly.

I thought so! It's a great picture, I think.

Warden- That is REALLY impressive.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Back to the top for new folks

From an article on the final recognition of WASP Glenna Roberts, KIA 1944 during a training flight.
http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=20345353&BRD=1140&PAG=461&dept_id=151338&rfi=6

According to the website radiodiaries.org/wasps, "From 1942 to 1944, more than 1,000 women were trained to ferry aircraft, test planes, instruct male pilots, and tow targets for anti-aircraft artillery practice. The women came from all socioeconomic backgrounds: teachers, nurses, secretaries, factory workers, waitresses, students, housewives, debutantes, actresses, even a Ziegfield chorus girl.
"The 1,830 women who were accepted received pilot training at Avenger Field in Sweetwater, Texas, where it was hot, dusty and dry, and the threat of finding a rattlesnake in your cockpit was real. It was the first' and only' all-female Air Force base in history, and the women nicknamed it "Cochran's Convent." They slept six to a barrack. At night, they stuffed socks in the urinals and used them to wash their underwear. On the hottest days, they took showers with all their clothes on to cool off. Their olive drab uniforms, called "zoot suits," were sized for men, so they rolled up the cuffs and tied belts around their waists.

Grant Fan

Practically Family
Ladies who reenact

I have a question for the ladies who reenact. I am in Virgina, the Hampton Roads area to be exact and I would really like to get into WW2 reenacting. What do I have to do in order to do that? Who do I talk to and how do I get started? Any other information you can give me would be great. Thank you for helping me out.

AirborneSally

New in Town
Hey! I just moved from the Hampton Roads area and I'm still in a unit based in VA Beach, we have 4 girls all together and would love to talk to you if your interested in joining. I dont think you can PM me, I'm not to 15 post yet, I'm newer on here, but you can email me at AirborneSally@aim.com or find me on facebook if you have one, Christina Harris.

Do you have any impressions yet or anything?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran