Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Film Noir?

martinsantos

Practically Family
Possible to say more than one?

Recently saw and because this come to my mind (all like all, and just fanatic about Fritz Lang):

1- The Third Man
2- Deadline at Dawn (RKO 1946. Maybe not the very best, but just get a copy of it in 16mm... Saw it three times this week, with friends coming home.)
3- Nightmare Alley

Martin

I Adore Film Noir

A-List Customer
My favs:

The 39 Steps (1935)
Born To Kill (1947)
Laura (1944)
Johnny Eager (1941)
The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946)

I have copies of The Blue Dahlia, The 39 Steps, Born To Kill, Detour, Laura and Johnny Eager.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
My favs:

The 39 Steps (1935)
Born To Kill (1947)
Laura (1944)
Johnny Eager (1941)
The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946)

I have copies of The Blue Dahlia, The 39 Steps, Born To Kill, Detour, Laura and Johnny Eager.

The Blue Dahlia would have been even better had the studio kept Chandlers original ending, but is still one of my favorite's, due primarily to the great cast and the L.A setting. The Postman Always Rings Twice has got some decent sparks between Garfield and Turner, but was quite sanitized by MGM (see the much earthier 1943 Italian version, Ossessione). Laura is the one Noir that Preminger did a really good job on. And as far as Detour is concerned, many consider it the Film Noir...

Old Rogue

Practically Family
Everyone Goes to Rick's

Hi all, this is my very first post. I stumbled across this site yesterday and read every post in this thread first. My favorite film from the 40's is Casablanca. Actually it's my favorite film, period. Not sure if it qualifies as Film Noir, but was hoping to hear some of your opinions on it. Thanks to everyone for all your comments; I now have a lot of films to catch up on!!

Marla

A-List Customer
Film noir is definitely an American genre, but while watching the Soviet-era film Exploit of a Spy (1947)(Подвиг Pазведчика in Russian, but most commonly known in English as Secret Agent) recently I was struck by how noir-ish it is. None of the other Soviet war films I've seen have been remotely like it and it stands in a league quite its own. It has the same intensity as the American noir films and a suspenseful plot. Characteristically, there is a handsome, steely protagonist in danger bent on pursuing a goal, in this case he's a spy operating behind enemy lines trying to obtain a packet of secret information, but without a radio-operator who can put him in contact with headquarters. The seriousness, creative cinematography, and lack of Soviet bravado also make it easier to see the resemblance. It's cinematically beautiful like a lot of the noir films.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Film noir is definitely an American genre, but while watching the Soviet-era film Exploit of a Spy (1947)(?????? P????????? in Russian, but most commonly known in English as Secret Agent) recently I was struck by how noir-ish it is. None of the other Soviet war films I've seen have been remotely like it and it stands in a league quite its own. It has the same intensity as the American noir films and a suspenseful plot. Characteristically, there is a handsome, steely protagonist in danger bent on pursuing a goal, in this case he's a spy operating behind enemy lines trying to obtain a packet of secret information, but without a radio-operator who can put him in contact with headquarters. The seriousness, creative cinematography, and lack of Soviet bravado also make it easier to see the resemblance. It's cinematically beautiful like a lot of the noir films.

Thanks for the info on that one. Is it readily available? It's true that some foreign films have heavy Noir-ish qualities to them, particularly some British films after WWII, and a few French movies from the early-'60s. (Heck, the first Italian Neo-Realist film, Ossessione [1943], based on The Postman Always Rings Twice, is also considered by some to be one of the earliest Noirs.)

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Hi all, this is my very first post. I stumbled across this site yesterday and read every post in this thread first. My favorite film from the 40's is Casablanca. Actually it's my favorite film, period. Not sure if it qualifies as Film Noir, but was hoping to hear some of your opinions on it. Thanks to everyone for all your comments; I now have a lot of films to catch up on!!

I think that most of those on the Lounge would echo your sentiments about Casablanca (I think that it is a great film), but be careful if you go on the Unpopular Movie Opinions thread...:eusa_doh: At any rate, welcome to the Lounge!

Old Rogue

Practically Family
I think that most of those on the Lounge would echo your sentiments about Casablanca (I think that it is a great film), but be careful if you go on the Unpopular Movie Opinions thread...:eusa_doh: At any rate, welcome to the Lounge!

Thanks for the welcome! I might venture into the Unpopular Movie Opinions thread forewarned that some folks might have very different opinions than me. I've found that I often learn more about a subject from people that disagree with me than I do from those that hold a like opinion. This seems to be a place where people discuss their disagreements in a civil manner. Very unusual for the internet, but very, very cool!

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
A modern day Noir I saw recently was Out of Season, with Dennis Hopper. It doesn't compete with the black and white, fedora greats we all love, but for a modern film it measured up quite well.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, one of my all-time favorite Noirs. I know that Bogart is usually associated with Marlowe, but for me it's a tie between him and Powell. (Chandler actually thought Powell came the closest of any.)
I agree completely. Another one of my favorites is The Killers, with Burt Lancaster. That's right up there with the very best.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Yesterday I watched Ruthless (1947, Eagle-Lion), with Zachary Scott, Sydney Greenstreet, Louis Hayward, Diana Lynn, Martha Vickers, and Raymond Burr (directed by Edgar G. Ulmer). Told mostly in flashbacks, it tells of Scott's character's ruthless rise to the top of the financial world. Considered by some to be a Film Noir, but I'm not so sure about that. The plot really goes nowhere, although it is interesting to see how many people Scott's character will discard to the gutter in his goal to acquire more and more. Problem is, we never are shown why Scott went from a pretty decent kid to such a decadent adult. The beginning of the movie and the end both incorporate clever water methaphors, however. Again, not a great film, but Eagle-Lion did go on to produce a few notable Films Noir, particularly with Anthony Mann at the directing helm.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
German Expressionism is widely considered to be one of the primary influences on the film noir visual style.
Very true. Even Italian Neo-Realism contributed a bit.

I'm currently watching Cry of the City, with Victor Mature and Richard Conte. I don't think Mature was the poor actor many (including himself) claim that he was, that is, when given the right role (such as this one, and in Kiss of Death). Here he gets to be on the good side of the law for once, a detective. Conte is excellent, his character complex and close to amoral. The film has a real New York tenement feel to it, and the kids chosen to play Conte's parents/siblings really look like they just got off the boat from Italy.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I like Victor Mature just fine, but for some reason we can't quite pin down, both my wife and I (but especially her) dislike Richard Conte. I do believe she'd divorce me rather than sit through THIEVES' HIGHWAY again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy