Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Filson coats - anyone?

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Nice piece there, however being Tin Cloth, there will be an odor. Perhpas try having one sent to you (if no dealer close) and see, otherwise keep your documentation and you can return it.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Tin Cloth I don't think is the problem , its the oil . Maybe you could get a dry tin cloth , not the oil/waxed version . I have both , but not filson's , and the waxed can have somewhat of an odor . The Dry Cloth Journeyman Jacket http://www.filson.com/men/coats-jackets/10716-lightweight-dry-cloth-journeyman-jacket.html doesn't have the waxed oil cloth . You could always just call and ask though . The waxed is heavier , too , just from the wax , or mine is .

bobm

A-List Customer
Ok, take a look at my Avatar....I do like Filson products, and though I don't has as many items as Eric aka Short Balding Man, I have more than a closet full.
A few observations, some already mentioned here, some contrary to other's experience.

Filson, like many other rugged/traditional clothing companies have changed/adapted/expanded their clothing to appeal more to the younger, urban crowd, hence Seattle fit and just look at their male models in their ads. They seem to have kept a good balance between satisfying their traditional base and attracting younger buyers. And less face it, the younger/more affluent buyers are the ones who have more disposable income. Some companies have done that well - LL Bean, some like Abercrombie and Fitch have done miserably. I think some years ago, Filson dabbled in having many more items outsourced to the East, and I don't think it worked out too well. I'm glad to see more items made in the USA.

Ok, here I go.
I will absolutely disagree about the ability of oiled/waxed Filson coats/jackets to keep you dry in wet weather. I have owned a few tin cloth jackets and one shelter cloth coat and in anything more than a light drizzle, the water seeps through - and these were all new out of the box coats. Forget about a steady downpour. However, I do have a Barbour waxed cotton coat that has kept me dry in a pretty steady rain. I have rewaxed my Filson coats with lots of oil and using a hair dryer to melt that wax in and nope, not waterproof. Tin cloth, by itself is cold and clammy on your skin and putting on my tin cruiser with a light shirt on in cooler weather was like putting on a cold, damp blanket. Absolutely needs a good heavy shirt or sweater to feel comfortable in cooler weather. I can't imagine ever buying/wearing tin cloth pants without longjohns and the idea of not being able to wash or clean a pair of pants ever, does not appeal to me. And, nope dipping a jacket/coat in wax does not allow for breathability - but that is why layering is important. However, tin cloth is very tough and abrasion resistant. In terms of toughness, I think Duluth Trading Company products are hard to beat and are one the best bang for the buck values out there. They are way easier to work in and very, very tough - though not with the same "style" as Filson. But a few years ago, I took a very hard running fall in my backyard onto rough cement pavers, the coat was a Duluth canvas fleece lined work jacket and neither my arm or the jacket got damaged. Duluth's heavy canvas pants are indestructible. So, if I'm outside doing chores in cold weather where I don't care if the jacket gets dirty and I need flexibility, the Duluth products win hands down. For anything else, I love my Filsons.

I would also dispute the invisibility/toughness of the shelter cloth jackets; after a few years (just wearing around town, not blazing trails in the bush) mine developed several small holes around each wrist? Huh? Wear holes in a $350.00+ coat? But, the good news was Filson repaired it at no cost.
As regards wool, I have the wool cape coat, mackinaw, double mackinaw, the packer coat - see avatar, wool and moleskin vests and liners, shirts - moleskin and Alaskan shirts are incredibly nice and warm, scarves, sweaters, gloves, socks, hats and even their Shinola built watch.

All the wool products look as new as the first day I bought them and are very warm if properly accessorised. What do I mean by that? The Double mack is warm and heavy - but loose fitting. On a mildly cold day with just a shirt on the cool air and wind comes right in. Putting on a sweater - even a light one makes all the difference in the world. Wool - without a lining also allows wind to come through. But it does breathe very well and keeps it shape. All their wool products - coats, jackets liners and vests are itchy on the skin. I guess I admire anyone wearing one with just a tee shirt on, you guys are way tougher than I am. My favorite cold weather coat is the previously mentioned and pictured wool packer coat. That shearling collar when turned up, keeps your neck, ears and face warm. But, with that huge collar, this is not for the faint of heart for the non cowboys and lumberjacks amongst us. It will attract attention, but most has been positive and I've had men and women just passing me by in the street and complimenting me and/or asking who makes it and where to get one.

Bottom line is I'm glad Filson is still there, making those traditional/ time proven (if not always truly the most functional) clothing. The price is high, but if you want a quality USA Made product, that simply will not go out of style and literally can be passed down for a generation or two, Filson is a great choice.

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Ok, take a look at my Avatar....I do like Filson products, and though I don't has as many items as Eric aka Short Balding Man, I have more than a closet full.
A few observations, some already mentioned here, some contrary to other's experience.

Filson, like many other rugged/traditional clothing companies have changed/adapted/expanded their clothing to appeal more to the younger, urban crowd, hence Seattle fit and just look at their male models in their ads. They seem to have kept a good balance between satisfying their traditional base and attracting younger buyers. And less face it, the younger/more affluent buyers are the ones who have more disposable income. Some companies have done that well - LL Bean, some like Abercrombie and Fitch have done miserably. I think some years ago, Filson dabbled in having many more items outsourced to the East, and I don't think it worked out too well. I'm glad to see more items made in the USA.

Ok, here I go.
I will absolutely disagree about the ability of oiled/waxed Filson coats/jackets to keep you dry in wet weather. I have owned a few tin cloth jackets and one shelter cloth coat and in anything more than a light drizzle, the water seeps through - and these were all new out of the box coats. Forget about a steady downpour. However, I do have a Barbour waxed cotton coat that has kept me dry in a pretty steady rain. I have rewaxed my Filson coats with lots of oil and using a hair dryer to melt that wax in and nope, not waterproof. Tin cloth, by itself is cold and clammy on your skin and putting on my tin cruiser with a light shirt on in cooler weather was like putting on a cold, damp blanket. Absolutely needs a good heavy shirt or sweater to feel comfortable in cooler weather. I can't imagine ever buying/wearing tin cloth pants without longjohns and the idea of not being able to wash or clean a pair of pants ever, does not appeal to me. And, nope dipping a jacket/coat in wax does not allow for breathability - but that is why layering is important. However, tin cloth is very tough and abrasion resistant. In terms of toughness, I think Duluth Trading Company products are hard to beat and are one the best bang for the buck values out there. They are way easier to work in and very, very tough - though not with the same "style" as Filson. But a few years ago, I took a very hard running fall in my backyard onto rough cement pavers, the coat was a Duluth canvas fleece lined work jacket and neither my arm or the jacket got damaged. Duluth's heavy canvas pants are indestructible. So, if I'm outside doing chores in cold weather where I don't care if the jacket gets dirty and I need flexibility, the Duluth products win hands down. For anything else, I love my Filsons.

I would also dispute the invisibility/toughness of the shelter cloth jackets; after a few years ( just wearing around town, not blazing trails in the bush) mine developed several small holes around each wrist? Huh? Wear holes in a $350.00+ coat? But, the good news was Filson repaired it at no cost.
As regards wool, I have the wool cape coat, mackinaw, double mackinaw, the packer coat - see avatar, wool and moleskin vests and liners, shirts - moleskin and Alaskan shirts are incredibly nice and warm, gloves, socks and hats and even their Shinola built watch.

All the wool products look as new as the first day I bought them and are very warm if properly accessorised. What do I mean by that? The Double mack is warm and heavy - but loose fitting. On a mildly cold day with just a shirt on the cool air and wind comes right in. Putting on a sweater - even a light one makes all the difference in the world. Wool - without a lining also allows wind to come through. But it does breathe very well and keeps it shape. All their wool products - coats, jackets liners and vests are itchy on the skin. I guess I admire anyone wearing one with just a tee shirt on, you guys are way tougher than I am. My favorite cold weather coat is the previously mentioned and pictured wool packer coat. That shearling collar when turned up, keeps your neck, ears and face warm. But, with that huge collar, this is not for the faint of heart for the non cowboys and lumberjacks amongst us. It will attract attention, but most has been positive and I've had men and women just passing me by in the street and complimenting me and/or asking who makes it and where to get one.

Bottom line is I'm glad Filson is still there, making those traditional/ time proven (if not always truly the most functional) clothing. The price is high, but if you want a quality USA Made product, that simply will not go out of style and literally can be passed down for a generation or two, Filson is a great choice.

+1 Bob. Well said sir.

BTW: Great pics you shared on your review on the Filson site!

bobm

A-List Customer
Thanks, Eric. I think writing reviews - given the time, are are generally lots of fun, but by offering a user's real life experience with that product helps the potential customer make a better informed decision.
Just to add to the list, I have a Filson rucksack, small field bag and a few duffles. All excellent products and highly recommended, but a few words on the rucksack. I have mine about 6-8 years and I have only hiked with it a few times. Once I did in hot weather and won't ever do that again; the bridle leather straps got soaked with sweat and stained my shirt. It is really better suited to non-hiking activities; I use it every day to carry stuff - keys, papers, lunch, etc to work. A proper backpack - where you separate compartments, outer pockets for a water bottle, padding on the straps and mesh where the backpack sits on your back for better breathability is much prefered and makes more sense than the Filson offerings. You do look way more retro stylish than carrying the more ubiquitous nylon backpack, but at a cost in functionality. And tough as that twill is, mine is showing heavy wear on the bottom and lower stitching areas, but that's ok, it is getting that worn Filson patina and when it begins to get a little worse - before it actually tears, I'll have Filson patch it up.

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Something new with the Filson name on it followed me home from a thrift store today.
P1220203 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
I guess I should specify I'm talking about the jacket and not the bibs.
P1220205 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Excuse the poor flash pictures.
P1220204 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Has a couple of minor issues, but generally in very good shape. I think I'll drop it at the cleaners tomorrow. Doesn't seem as heavily finished as my green double mac, but I think it's the same model. Willing to be enlightened on the subject if it's not.

Michael

Stringmaster

One of the Regulars
Something new with the Filson name on it followed me home from a thrift store today.
P1220203 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
I guess I should specify I'm talking about the jacket and not the bibs.
P1220205 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Excuse the poor flash pictures.
P1220204 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Has a couple of minor issues, but generally in very good shape. I think I'll drop it at the cleaners tomorrow. Doesn't seem as heavily finished as my green double mac, but I think it's the same model. Willing to be enlightened on the subject if it's not.

Michael
Score!

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Congratulations Michael A. ! Boy you have an incredible Goodwill/Thrift Store where you live !

... I bought a size 42 Green Filson Moleskin Vest and a 44 Tan Filson Moleskin Vest . I'm a 44 , the 42 fits , but it's snug under the arm openings , though it will work , not as big at the bottom which is good . The 44 fits better under the arm openings , really loose at the bottom , but can handle heavy shirts , layering , etc. . That's my update , as I search for a Filson Mackinaw Western Wool Vest in probably a 44 . Thanks Eric for your help ! I'm wide up top .

RMF308

One of the Regulars
Just completed the Factory tour at the Seattle flagship store; they walked us through the manufacturing floor and the samples area. The new 1st Ave store is really quite a masterpiece. I'd recommend anyone coming through Seattle to sign up for the tour and visit the new store.

RMF308

One of the Regulars
Just want to add that the 1st Ave store also has the Filson Restoration dept in the main store/main floor. The "Restoration dept" is not the dept for repairing items, but for the creation of one-off pieces that are made from vintage Filson items by some Filson artisans; they had some really cool vintage bags with unique features and patina for sale there.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Ha! That sounds like Iowa weather of late. Fall was beautiful here, winter is starting with a very cold bang. Indications are -20F without the windchill Saturday night. But then 30F by Wednesday. Gotta love 50F temp swings like these.

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Ha! That sounds like Iowa weather of late. Fall was beautiful here, winter is starting with a very cold bang. Indications are -20F without the windchill Saturday night. But then 30F by Wednesday. Gotta love 50F temp swings like these.
Sounds like Iowa weather because it is Iowa weather. I'm around Iowa City. A little freezing drizzle when I was out this afternoon. I'm hoping not much of the snow shows up. And not looking forward to the cold and wind this weekend.

Michael

cuchulain

Familiar Face
Tin cloth, by itself is cold and clammy on your skin and putting on my tin cruiser with a light shirt on in cooler weather was like putting on a cold, damp blanket.

This is exactly what my tin cloth oiled jacket felt like, it felt gross and cold. I don't even know where it is, I haven't worn it in years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21