Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finally! My new shop!

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
The last time that we went home we finished up the long-delayed exterior work on the little radio shop and phonograph room that I built in the back yard of the house that I'm restoring .

The radio shop, 24' long by 10' wide, 10' high side-walls. I've installed a ceiling at 7' to make a storage loft. Since the building has a hip rood there are no cross braces allowing for 5' 8' clearance in the center of the loft.
P1010008-1.jpg

P10100111.jpg

P1010006-1.jpg

Next to this I've built a second building, heated and insulated, to house the bulk of the record collection, and serve as a listening room. The single room in this building is 12' 8" wide by 16' 9" long, with a 9' 4" ceiling height.
The trim has been completed, but the rear and right sides have yet to be painted. i'll have to wait until spring for that, God willing.

P1010010-1.jpg

Both of these buildings were built largely of old-growth lumber and novelty siding salvaged from my old fire-damaged barn:
FIRE021.jpg

Here are some construction pics which show the relation to the house:

Hillsdale421100111.jpg
(I'm the fat man in the blue shirt on the roof rafters)
Hillsdale421100081.jpg

Here is the house as it was when I bought it:
HallettHouseA04-1.jpg

(note the sagging second floor roof. More than half of the rafters had to be replaced)

And as it stands today, after having been restored, then having the second story removed by a tornado, and restored a second time:

P1010005-1.jpg

P1010002-1.jpg

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
A beautiful house! And I think the sheds go very well with the colour-scheme and style of the house.

How old is your house?

We pulled down all of the plaster, which was in poor condition, and have replaced all of the systems (plumbing, electric, heating). The walls and ceilings have been covered with rock lath and wet plastered. I have yet to replace the extensive woodwork and other trim.

If you hadn't told me you built those buildings, I'd have assumed they were original to the home's construction. You did a great job matching them. Equally as impressive that you put back up lath and plaster after tearing all that down. Nobody does it these days. My Great-Grandfather, Grandfather, and Father were all lathers. It's all but a dead trade now. Good on ya!

Oldsarge

One Too Many
I tore down the garage and went up two stories. The second floor is a studio/guestroom but the first is a fully equipped woodshop with 10' ceilings and 220 power. And no, I didn't do the work. I just told the architect what to do and then kept beating him until he did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot