Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Durable

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3747956326...CJi9omFSVa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

IMG_2007.jpeg

Claybertrand

One Too Many
The best leather I have ever seen is on an old Walter dyer
...and the seller is selling it for $50 because the leather is "faded"...somebody should get it on general principle. It is an XL though, so a small market.

I love Dyers and this one is cool. But I think it has more than simple fading goin on. MAYBE its the lighting but that pic of the back looks like......... I don't know WHAT it looks like....... Looks almost like it was a two tone jacket or somehow has different colored panels. Really odd. If that's fading you have the black fading into a patinaed gray and the the back panel looks like it aged into a brown color with that lower rocker panel looking totally mismatched. This doesn't look like typical wear.

1688608731172.png

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
I love Dyers and this one is cool. But I think it has more than simple fading goin on. MAYBE its the lighting but that pic of the back looks like......... I don't know WHAT it looks like....... Looks almost like it was a two tone jacket or somehow has different colored panels. Really odd. If that's fading you have the black fading into a patinaed gray and the the back panel looks like it aged into a brown color with that lower rocker panel looking totally mismatched. This doesn't look like typical wear.

View attachment 530408
I think it is just panels from different hides aging differently from UV. This is super-cool.

Yeah its not a great measurement pic. Shorter than 23" would be crazy short especially with the other measurements being what they are.
I've owned a few Herc's with this leather label. This one was a size 42' and the back was indeed 23" (22.75" actually with the hem flip). It's photos like these that have led me to the conclusion that if you are taller than 5' 9", you can pretty much forget about vintage halfbelts (with very few exceptions) or you have to embrace your inner matador... or you wear your pants at your nipples.
IMG_7613.jpeg

I've waffled back and forth with vintage vs repro debate forever but looking back at most my vintage backs, I think I can safely say I'm done with that pursuit. As much as I loved the jackets, I always felt a bit foolish (certainly self conscious) with the length like this^

Leigh H

Practically Family
Nice halfbelt, 50s?

Great price and condition size 40 ish

Attachments

• IMG_1592.jpeg
    IMG_1592.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1593.jpeg
    IMG_1593.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 44

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Nice halfbelt, 50s?

Great price and condition size 40 ish

The design looks 50's production year is more like the early 70's.

Claybertrand

One Too Many
I've owned a few Herc's with this leather label. This one was a size 42' and the back was indeed 23" (22.75" actually with the hem flip). It's photos like these that have led me to the conclusion that if you are taller than 5' 9", you can pretty much forget about vintage halfbelts (with very few exceptions) or you have to embrace your inner matador... or you wear your pants at your nipples.
View attachment 530548

I've waffled back and forth with vintage vs repro debate forever but looking back at most my vintage backs, I think I can safely say I'm done with that pursuit. As much as I loved the jackets, I always felt a bit foolish (certainly self conscious) with the length like this^
Not to dispute what is clearly being presented in pure photographic honesty by the straightest of straight shooters around these parts, my take is that the back length of the Hercules Half Belts MUST vary by maker and/or age. BELIEVE YOU ME, I would say that the SHORT BACK LENGTH is the fattest fly in the ointment with Vintage Jacket fit for me. Period. I've been traumatized by short jackets. A short back length has become a total non starter for me.

I do have a few HBs. Even a few Hercs---and all of them are at the very least 24" on the back length. A few are closer to the 25-25.5" range. I have a Goatskin Herc HB with the same Black Label as the HB on Facebook and its definitely longer than 23".

Admittedly, of the jackets I own---I believe they are made by at least 3 different makers and are also different ages. I do not have a Leather Label Herc like Ton has pictured (which appears to be one of the older Labels). I am thinking that there must be some variation in the back length on these jackets. I know they are not all this short. I still think its even POSSIBLE the FB jacket is a tad longer than reported but not much. Take every jacket as it comes and always ask for measurements because I can attest to the fact that some Herc HBs are longer than others.

Lastly, it saddens me a little bit that our brother @ton312 is taking a firm stance against pursuing true vintage jackets in the future. Don't tap out bro!!! These jackets ARE OUT THERE!!! You don't see em everyday but true vintage jackets in good wearable lengths do exist. Tough to find but worth the hunt!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace