• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

First Belted back suit I've made

Discussion in 'Suits' started by Mr. Speakeasy, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Mr. Speakeasy

Mr. Speakeasy One of the Regulars

Here's my recently completed two-piece tweed patch pocket belted back suit that I made from my own pattern. Comments?

2. Qirrel

Qirrel Practically Family

Nice. How did you make the pattern?
  3. m0nk

m0nk One Too Many

Very well done. I like it.
  4. Beautiful!
  5. Well done. A very "interwar continental European sporting suit" look to it.:eusa_clap

I like the look of the fabric but is it really a mustard colour? I suspect it's the lighting and that it's actually grey? This would be good.

6. Nick D

Nick D Call Me a Cab

Really nice. I like the contrast between the buttons and the fabric, too. Nice shaping on those hip pockets.
  7. splintercellsz

splintercellsz My Mail is Forwarded Here

VERY nice job! Try taking some daylight photos, as indoor lighting casts a heavy yellow hue to any items.

I would love to do this.

Are you offering the patterns?

Cause that be amazing
  9. Mr. Speakeasy

I do need to take some pictures outside, the ones i posted don't do it justice. Its actually a rust brown with light brown flecks and blue and red pinstripes.
    I'm still working on the pattern to work out the issues I found when making it but I would be open to any orders if people want a suit custom made.
    also, what style waistcoat do you think would suit it best? I was thinking single breasted with peaked lapel, but double breasted could really make it click
  10. Mr. Speakeasy

I laid out a vintage 30's suit I had and traced around each panel, and after much pain and muslin mock ups I made the pattern

i don't have a tripod so i was just able to take a picture of my sleeve
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  11. Nick D

Nick D Call Me a Cab

I'd be inclined to go with single-breasted with no lapels, personally, with nicely curved points. Maybe flaps on the lower pockets to go with the sporty look? Or add pleats to the front above the lower pockets
  12. Mr. Speakeasy

A very good suggestion, that would definitely look the era.
    as another idea did they ever put patch pockets on the waistcoat back in the 30's?
    i've never seen it except on knit ones but that could look cool
  13. I agree, I see this with a lapelless vest, and the curve points are important to the look.

Were I to commission such a suit I'd probably go 4x2 DB, welted edges, pleated pockets.
    Here is a natty specimen that appeared on eBay a year or so ago.
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  14. Mr. Speakeasy

Very natty, would i be correct to assume it had an action back?
    regardless, I'm confident I could re-create that suit without trouble
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  15. Where do you people get these tailoring skills?? I'm lucky if I can thread a needle let alone sew on a button. I am more than impressed!!!
  16. Fastuni

Fastuni One Too Many

Well done Mr Speakeasy.
    Are you self taught or a professionally trained tailor? What about interior construction - is it "modernized" or "period correct"?
  17. Nick D

Nick D Call Me a Cab

I've seen a couple with patch pockets, usually only two with two welt pockets. I've seen a couple palm beach suits with four patch pockets.

18. I'll soon be posting a silk suit in the "holy grail of vintage suits" thread that's got 4 patch pockets on it's waistcoat, the 2 lower of which have asymmetric flaps.
  19. Same here, buddy, same here! [​IMG]
  20. Mr. Speakeasy

I'm self taught mostly, though I have had a couple professional mentors, and the interior is period accurate, striped satin contrasted sleeve lining and all