Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First leather jacket - critique my fit!

Ron86

New in Town
Hi all,
New member here. I recently picked up an Aero half belt from Classifieds. I believe it’s the 1950s model based on some sleuthing. This is my first real leather jacket that’s not mall junk. I took a gamble on sizing as I normally wear M or 38 or 40 slim in other types of jackets/coats but I got this in 36 because the measurements posted seem like it could work.

After trying it on, my impressions are that 38 probably would’ve worked better. The sleeve length and shoulder width seem and feel pretty good. It’s fairly snug in that I can only wear a shirt or flannel underneath, definitely no room for a thick sweater. I feel like the torso length seem too short. The bottom hem barely reaches the belt. Is this normal for this type of jacket or should it be longer? I’ve never owned any jacket or coat that is this short in the torso but maybe that’s just how it is with this cut.

Attachments

• 90915D9E-7C5F-4861-8B9C-F5EEED31828D.jpeg
    90915D9E-7C5F-4861-8B9C-F5EEED31828D.jpeg
    677.3 KB · Views: 484
  • 032E0CB6-C7CB-4087-99E4-C5FDA88A371D.jpeg
    032E0CB6-C7CB-4087-99E4-C5FDA88A371D.jpeg
    500.8 KB · Views: 556
  • 26ED54A4-5D92-4D82-90AB-AFBBB14F103E.jpeg
    26ED54A4-5D92-4D82-90AB-AFBBB14F103E.jpeg
    682.1 KB · Views: 546
  • 0E6372B6-093A-4EE2-9A60-C311CB6996CC.jpeg
    0E6372B6-093A-4EE2-9A60-C311CB6996CC.jpeg
    493.6 KB · Views: 416
  • CF5E81D3-7498-46E8-8E57-B3C856F6620D.jpeg
    CF5E81D3-7498-46E8-8E57-B3C856F6620D.jpeg
    578.2 KB · Views: 440

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
A little short for my taste but i think within acceptable limits. I’ve realized that for myself the aesthetics of fit are secondary to the functionality of fit. Can you drive a car, talk on the phone, or tie your shoes in it? If not it really doesn’t matter how it looks.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Welcome. You did very well on the first try. Classifieds here is great. Mid rise pants will make the front look more proportionate. Lower rise pants can still work, just need an extra tug (pull the front panels downward). My slimmer fitting HB also tends to pull towards the back too.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi all,
New member here. I recently picked up an Aero half belt from Classifieds. I believe it’s the 1950s model based on some sleuthing. This is my first real leather jacket that’s not mall junk. I took a gamble on sizing as I normally wear M or 38 or 40 slim in other types of jackets/coats but I got this in 36 because the measurements posted seem like it could work.

After trying it on, my impressions are that 38 probably would’ve worked better. The sleeve length and shoulder width seem and feel pretty good. It’s fairly snug in that I can only wear a shirt or flannel underneath, definitely no room for a thick sweater. I feel like the torso length seem too short. The bottom hem barely reaches the belt. Is this normal for this type of jacket or should it be longer? I’ve never owned any jacket or coat that is this short in the torso but maybe that’s just how it is with this cut.
The jacket fits well. But it would be an inch too short for me in the front. Worn open, it fits just so.
I have a jacket that I only wear open because it looks too short for me closed. I had that feeling from the beginning and it never went away.
If you don't feel comfortable with the length now, it will most likely stay that way forever and you won't wear the jacket as often as you would like.

Hi all,

It's not too short, it's brilliant. The jacket looks great on you, don't worry about it.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The length in itself is fine but how it looks on you depends on the type of pants you wear. Jacket needs to be longer if one wear low rise pants. That is why company like Schott started making longer version of the 613 etc. not to mention Fine Creek's extended length jackets.

Ron86

New in Town
Thanks all for the feedback so far. It's funny that when I wear it it "feels" shorter than it actually looks. I may need to just get used to the length. I don't plan on wearing this zipped up which I think will make it look less short.

Thanks! Are the other half belt styles like the 1930s a longer cut?
They can be. The 30's pattern has a drop front of about 2". The 50's pattern you have there is blunt cut at the hem. I have a few originals with both hem types. Here’s a vintage jacket cut at 25”, blunt
6D3B3E8F-1A3D-4C09-88CB-345680A16653.jpeg

0C0918DD-AAF0-4496-95AF-84983F56E8D2.jpeg

The Aero 50’s HB is true to form in this regard. I think your jacket is modeled after this cut and does so exceedingly well!

Ron86

New in Town
They can be. The 30's pattern has a drop front of about 2". The 50's pattern you have there is blunt cut at the hem. I have a few originals with both hem types. Here’s a vintage jacket cut at 25”, blunt
View attachment 406429
View attachment 406430
The Aero 50’s HB is true to form in this regard. I think your jacket is modeled after this cut and does so exceedingly well!
Thanks, that looks great! Maybe for my next jacket (which seem inevitable if I hang around here) I’ll go for something with more of a drop in the front.

Ron86

New in Town
A little short for my taste but i think within acceptable limits. I’ve realized that for myself the aesthetics of fit are secondary to the functionality of fit. Can you drive a car, talk on the phone, or tie your shoes in it? If not it really doesn’t matter how it looks.
I definitely agree that function and comfort are more important than esthetics. But isn't it important to look good too? Otherwise we'd all just be wearing lightweight synthetic jackets ;-P

Edward

Bartender
I definitely agree that function and comfort are more important than esthetics. But isn't it important to look good too? Otherwise we'd all just be wearing lightweight synthetic jackets ;-P

Definitely got to be a balance: no matter how comfortable something is, if I hate the look of it, I Will Not Wear. That said.... a beautiful but unwearable jacket hanging in the wardrobe is rather a waste! Finding the sweet spot between the two is the quest on which we all embark in these parts....

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
A balance for sure but an uncomfortable jacket just takes up space in the closet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff