Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First "Real" Hat

ph33nyx

New in Town
I'm looking at purchasing my first "real" hat and have been looking at different styles, shapes, etc. The one that has really caught my eye is the Stetson Chatham. I still need to go into a store and try some on, but there is something about it that has just caught my fancy.
Is this a good hat to start with?

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
You will get all sorts of opinion about where to start. I just wanted to agree that going to a store and trying on hats in order to determine your correct size and style and color preferences is an excellent idea. All that known, it's downhill from there (or uphill depending on where your tastes lead you).

Anyway, welcome to the Forum!

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm looking at purchasing my first "real" hat and have been looking at different styles, shapes, etc. The one that has really caught my eye is the Stetson Chatham. I still need to go into a store and try some on, but there is something about it that has just caught my fancy.

My opinion is, just pick one you like, buy it and see how it goes. I know how large the decision seems to be on the first purchase. But think of it as buying your first shirt or first pair of shoes. Ultimately every item you buy is good for something. Good for some things, not others; you like some more than others; and it's hard to tell in advance which those will be. But you know that is not going to be your only shirt or only pair of shoes, not by a long shot. You would do yourself a big favor by going to a hat store first to see what seems to look good on you. That answers a lot of questions. Then buy one there, or online, but there are certain things you can't know until you have actually bought the hat and worn it a few times.

ph33nyx

New in Town
Thanks for the advice. There only seems to be one quality hat store near to where I live (Miller Hats). I've heard good things about them, so I guess I need to just schedule some time to go in and give it a whirl.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for the advice. There only seems to be one quality hat store near to where I live (Miller Hats). I've heard good things about them, so I guess I need to just schedule some time to go in and give it a whirl.

At least on the Internet, Miller Hats has a giant selection. Few places would be as useful as that one to check out.

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab

Hello, and, Welcome to the Fedora lounge!
About the Chatham, its a very nice hat. It all depends on your taste. In my opinion, I suggest you look for a nice Vintage fedora. Why? In my case, I had a Stetson Chatham, Stetson Nostalgia, Stetson Downs and Dobbs straw hat; but when I purchased my first true vintage 1940s Royal Stetson fedora with a 2 3/4 brim, that was it! I sold all of my hats and now I just buy vintage. The older hats, they would make them with the crown open so you could style it the way you wanted. And the felt was alot nicer than todays felt. So, it depends on your taste. But, I won't buy a new fedora anymore. So, if your patient, keep your eyes open on ebay and look for those mint condition hats with no moth holes, stains, etc, and you can get yourself a VERY nice lid! First, find out your size and make sure it doesn't pinch your forehead.
Hope this was helpful.

Reactions: Uhu

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I have some vintage and some new hats. Nothing custom, though. There are things I like about both types.

I like vintage simply because they are vintage. They have a certain 'genuineness' about them.

I like new because they are new and no one has had their head in them.

Of course, you have find the right vintage and/or the right new for you. For new, I will recommend looking at the Akubra line, probably one of the best values for the dollar available today. Theyre really good hats.

EggHead

Practically Family
Stetson Chatham is one hat I would like to try on. I hear it's made from the best quality felt in that class by Stetson.
Please post pictures of you in it if you buy.

For me, a brim needs to be at least 2 1/2". A Chatham would be a bit stingy for a first "real" hat. I really like brims at 2 5/8" or wider & all of my customs are 2 3/4".
You should most definitely try some on to get the feel & look of the brim width & crown height & shape. I have 2 Stetson Pinnacles that are just wide enough in the brim for me.

dwebber18

One of the Regulars
Definitely go try them on if you have that luxury. Take note of the crown height as well as brim width and the general shape of the hat. That will help you decide what you want in a hat. I'm not a big current Stetson fan, and I agree that Akubra or ebay would be a great place to start once you have an idea of what you like and what you're looking for. Granted you could always just reach for the best and get a custom hat from one of our vendors here and really get something unique and special that fits you well.

carldelo

One Too Many
The Chatham is definitely a good place to start - it has a moderate crown at a bit over 4" at the pinch, and a perfectly moderate brim at 2-3/8".
Later on, if you tend to wider brims like GTDean, then the Chatham will become your stingy lid.
If you gravitate to the smaller brims like me, then the Chatham will become your wider brimmed lid.
If you think the brim is too small at 2-3/8", you should know that Bencraft has their own version with a 2-3/4" brim.
I would suggest starting with the standard brim, however.

The Sovereign felt on the Chatham is very nice, thick and soft. The crowns tend to be stiff at first, but I massaged mine and it has softened nicely over time. My Chatham is currently being renovated - I'm changing the ribbon color and adding a bound edge to the brim. The hatter thought it was in very good condition, which is saying something, as I am a little hard on my lids and somewhat careless about storage and brushing.

I think in-person vintage purchases are very good, but would not suggest a beginner purchase vintage via ebay. There's a lot to learn before you can be sure of what you're getting.

ph33nyx

New in Town
I've had some tell me (not here), that I should go with a less expensive wool felt hat to begin with, but none of the department stores I've checked has anything I like (if they have anything at all).

carldelo

One Too Many
That's certainly one way to start. I've cycled through 3 wool hats that I've since given away. I did enjoy each in its own way for a time, but I do not miss them.

EggHead

Practically Family
I have been going to Macys and Nordstrom to try fedora hats that they have on display - all wool and/or blend or some other fabric, a lot of stingy brims, made mostly in China, some in USA, priced between $45 - $100. I just could not bring myself to like them. On the other hand there are a few hat stores that have nice hats here, but prices are just through the roof - double or triple of what one can get on the web.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I have been going to Macys and Nordstrom to try fedora hats that they have on display - all wool and/or blend or some other fabric, a lot of stingy brims, made mostly in China, some in USA, priced between $45 - $100. I just could not bring myself to like them. On the other hand there are a few hat stores that have nice hats here, but prices are just through the roof - double or triple of what one can get on the web.

What hat stores are you finding in SF?

Hat Guys in Oakland is a bit more ($15-20 more, typically) expensive than the online stores, but they have a really nice selection and a nice staff.

EggHead

Practically Family
jlee, I don't disagree with you (a double negative!!), they have nice hats and a big selection. When I was looking for a Sydney, at Hat Guys it's about $175, at EA it's (was) about $95. Eventually I bought it from DM for $130.

I agree, try some hats on and see what you like and what size you are. My first 2 hats were Millers, I sold them after I got a taste of vintage. And I reckon I wasted 300 bucks... The felt comparison' at least in my opinion, with the Millers they do not come close to the qulaity of an old vintage felt hat. Find your size and be paitent while watching e-bay, and a worthy note; you came to the right place for hat information; there are lots of good folks here on the Lounge. Post a classified, "Wanted to Buy" once you know what size you are; and there is likely someone out here in Lounge land that will look to hook you up. Enjoy your stay.

Definitely go try them on if you have that luxury. Take note of the crown height as well as brim width and the general shape of the hat. That will help you decide what you want in a hat. I'm not a big current Stetson fan, and I agree that Akubra or ebay would be a great place to start once you have an idea of what you like and what you're looking for. Granted you could always just reach for the best and get a custom hat from one of our vendors here and really get something unique and special that fits you well.

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
PH33NYX I started reading this thread right after I got home from seeing the new Harry Potter flick. As I was reading it I realized that I was wearing my black Stetson Chatham. I have had the hat long enough that I don't remember when I bought it. the brim needs some help (I am hard on my hats) I really like it and how it has held up.

Jeff
Blkstetsonside.jpg

Blkstetsonfront.jpg

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
I agree, try some hats on and see what you like and what size you are. My first 2 hats were Millers, I sold them after I got a taste of vintage. And I reckon I wasted 300 bucks... The felt comparison' at least in my opinion, with the Millers they do not come close to the qulaity of an old vintage felt hat. Find your size and be paitent while watching e-bay, and a worthy note; you came to the right place for hat information; there are lots of good folks here on the Lounge. Post a classified, "Wanted to Buy" once you know what size you are; and there is likely someone out here in Lounge land that will look to hook you up. Enjoy your stay.

Yes. If you want a "Real" hat, VINTAGE is it. When you get one you will see. But probably won't know if you don't have something to compare it with. But, like I said before, I sold all my new hats. But after I had something to compare the vintage with. So I guess get one new and then search for a nice vintage on ebay. Thats my opinion. There are some nice ones on ebay right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn