Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First "Real" Hat

ph33nyx

New in Town
Well...The swmbo and I got into Miller Hats over the weekend and I was able to try some things on and she was able to pass her judgment. She wasn't too hip on me spending $100+ on my first hat, so I ended up with a grey Scala New Yorker. They didn't have one there, but after we got home she found it online. So, now I just have to wait patiently.

dorfm258924_143524_jb.jpg

Well...The swmbo and I got into Miller Hats over the weekend and I was able to try some things on and she was able to pass her judgment. She wasn't too hip on me spending $100+ on my first hat, so I ended up with a grey Scala New Yorker. They didn't have one there, but after we got home she found it online. So, now I just have to wait patiently.

Congrats & welcome to our illness...the road to recovery is long & arduous if there is one...

carldelo

One Too Many

dorfm258924_143524_jb.jpg

That looks like a good choice for a starting point. The New Yorker looks almost identical to the Stetson Ashland, which is exactly the same as the Chatham or Downs but with a 2-1/4" underwelt brim. So if the size and shape works out well for you, you can tell her you're picking up a New Yorker in another color, but actually move up to fur felt and get an Ashland on the sly. I have two, by the way, and highly recommend the dark brown, I get a lot of compliments on it. Remember to keep the Scala pin to put on the Stetson..... ;)

AshlandSteelGry.jpg

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Around here, lowish-end mens' stores like Syms and Joseph A. Banks have a selection of hats that, at the very least, can give you some idea of how youd look in a fedora. From what I remember, the quality of what I saw at one of them I personally would not buy for myself at this point in time, but as a newbie, it might be worth a shot.

ph33nyx

New in Town
My hat finally arrived yesterday, so I've got my chance to try it out today. I like (wish it was lined though), more importantly the SWMBO likes it, and I've already gotten a few compliments on my way into work!

Dewhurst

Practically Family
A belated Welcome, welcome!

A Sovereign Stetson is a great "real" hat, whether it is your first or your fiftieth. Try some on, and have a good time.

By the way, Scala makes a really great wool felt hat in my experience. So, as far as your wool Scala goes, that is a good smart choice for wool felt. The only people who do a better wool felt hat would be Dobbs, IMO, but that will cost you quite a bit more.

Last edited:

Fedora Jay

Familiar Face
Another belated welcome! I hope you're enjoying your Scala.

I just got a Chatham a couple weeks ago, and I'm loving it. I really hate to say it, but I actually like it better than my vintage Knox Twenty. The Knox's felt is rather stubborn and won't do what I want it to, the Chatham is like a well trained soldier. It would be a great choice for a second hat.

Jhoff_1979

One of the Regulars
I'm looking at purchasing my first "real" hat and have been looking at different styles, shapes, etc. The one that has really caught my eye is the Stetson Chatham. I still need to go into a store and try some on, but there is something about it that has just caught my fancy.
Is this a good hat to start with?
It was my first "real" brim. Cannot go wrong with it. I love mine so far!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace