Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First time Aero Buyer, Looking to get a Sheene... But Vicenza or FQHH?

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I never owned a Vicenca but from looks alone, I like Horween FQHH better. It ages beautifully. I don't want to say something wrong here, but I think I do recall a thread where someone compared samples of the leathers and said the undertone of the Vicenca is more greyish rather than the loved brown of the Horween FQHH. For me that would be a huge no. Does anyone have a sample of Vicenca and has beaten it up bad enough to confirm or disconfirm that?

edit, found the thread;
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/aero-horsehide-samples.81194/

I defo like the Horwen underzone better there and it will show through with age, so it's definitely Horween FQHH foe me.

Are these white balance corrected?

It seems there is a lot of colour variation in Cordovan and i don't know if it is because of cameras and processing or if the hides vary so much.
Some look brown with some red undertones, some look dark purple, some look like black with purple undertones...

I have liked the idea of a cordovan jacket for a while but am afraid of the colour gamble.
That's just an iphone shot...no filter. The cordovan shows a range of color like I've never seen before...here's a couple more. In certain light like this, it's very brown...In other light it's super maroon. It's freaking intoxicating man. I love just looking at it.
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender copy.jpg

I'ts almost impossible I think to photo it's true color...or maybe it's easier to say it's just "multi-colored"

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I'ts almost impossible I think to photo it's true color...or maybe it's easier to say it's just "multi-colored"

It's mad to think that's the same jacket! When i saw the first pictures you posted i thought "well here goes my cordovan plan, that's purple, no thanks!" now these look like a reddish brown, which i really like.
This is a confused and confusing leather!

FullSizeRender copy 2.jpg
Trust me you won't be disappointed! It is crazy and honestly I've never seen anything like it. I swear man and I'm not kidding there are times I just gaze at it. It's totally chameleon like and it's just impossible to nail down. Allow me to further bedazzle...shot taken 5 minutes later with a slight change in light due to cloud cover outside.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
It's an outstanding hide - though if you really want something that's more brown, go for the brown FQHH. Best, of course, is to ask Aero for samples and go from there. I love the cordovan because it's really a burgundy colour in my experience, and can go with black or brown. if you like to wear both of those and not to mix your leathers, it's the most flexible option. Samples should show you the exact nature of the hides they have currently available, though. As with the browns, it will vary a bit, but the closest it gets to brown will be being a red with a hint of brown in some lights rather than vice versa.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
It's an outstanding hide - though if you really want something that's more brown, go for the brown FQHH. Best, of course, is to ask Aero for samples and go from there. I love the cordovan because it's really a burgundy colour in my experience, and can go with black or brown. if you like to wear both of those and not to mix your leathers, it's the most flexible option. Samples should show you the exact nature of the hides they have currently available, though. As with the browns, it will vary a bit, but the closest it gets to brown will be being a red with a hint of brown in some lights rather than vice versa.

That's the problem, i don't want brown, brown is really not my colour, but seeing as all my jackets (6) are black i am looking for a bit of diversity.
I like reddish brown a lot more than brown, but i have in the past bought a burgundy jacket from the AL outlet, and it was basically full on purple, so i am a bit scared by cordovan.
I guess you are right, i need to see it in the flesh, which is just as well since my trip to the Aero factory is in planning, should be going in late March.
I predict bad things will happen...

Edward

Bartender
The visit will help a lot. Aero are grat, and the showroom is superb. Take the chance to try on everything you can to know fit and size.... really usefule for the 'next one'...!

The hide that AL/SB had was, I think, sold as 'burgundy'. IT was Horween FQHH, but not the same CXL stuff that Aero use, so not sure if it would be the same shade or not. Aero have also long done 'cherry', which is much lighter; it may have been between them. OF course, leather being organic, it can vary with batch. I visited the factory a week before my jacket went into production, and was able to pick the exact hides Murray cut it from.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy