Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fist bump vs hand shake

kiltie

Practically Family
At my workplace, the handshake is deeply ingrained in the culture, such that 'helloes' and 'goodbyes' in groups of upwards of twenty-five or more guys can get pretty tedious*. Due to the semi-obligatory nature, the guys will often feel compelled to follow through even in the performance of duties, which has led to fist bumps and, amusingly, elbow bumps.

*entire reputations have been made around the handshaking thing. I was surprised when it wasn't shared as enthusiastically by other members around the nation. In particular, in Chicago, when I reached to shake another guy's hand, he was clearly puzzled for a full second before coming around.

SgtRick

One of the Regulars
At my workplace, the handshake is deeply ingrained in the culture, such that 'helloes' and 'goodbyes' in groups of upwards of twenty-five or more guys can get pretty tedious*. Due to the semi-obligatory nature, the guys will often feel compelled to follow through even in the performance of duties, which has led to fist bumps and, amusingly, elbow bumps.

*entire reputations have been made around the handshaking thing. I was surprised when it wasn't shared as enthusiastically by other members around the nation. In particular, in Chicago, when I reached to shake another guy's hand, he was clearly puzzled for a full second before coming around.

Elbow bumps? Wow, what is next? Head butts?

kiltie

Practically Family
The elbow bumps came from not wanting to contaminate another person, especially with blood. It's not really all that frequent. Still, it think it's preferable to one guy's habit of giving out a LOT of hugs ( earning him the nickname Captain Huggybear )...

Huggy people make me very uncomfortable. I prefer to keep an arm's length between people. I feel bad that it puts some people off, but I hate, hate, hate that touchy-feely stuff.

rue

Huggy people make me very uncomfortable. I prefer to keep an arm's length between people. I feel bad that it puts some people off, but I hate, hate, hate that touchy-feely stuff.
No hug for me Tom? :p

I have to admit, I'm a hugger, but only if I know the person. No one else in my family is like that though. My mother hates it so much that I like to tease her by telling everyone she loves it :p

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
He sounds like a real charmer. Is he in IT?

I think he was doing a sociology post-doc or something like that. His research was really interesting (he was looking at peoples' who had multiple disabilities and used multiple assistive devices experiences in society), him not so much. But then he also went on and on about how his supervisor made him come and he hated being there. There were some issues with that conference due to organization, but I had a wonderful time and made some great friends/ colleagues.

As far as the only child thing: If I was a nice less person, I'd ask them about their family birth-order and really intrusive questions using the stereotypes about birth order. But I'm not actually that rude.

Every once and a while, I like to tease my parents and ask them where they've been hiding my pony for the past several decades. It must be getting hungry. ;)

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Elbow bumps? Wow, what is next? Head butts?

Hi Rick

FUNNY you should mention head butts. When I was in college, I was invited to a Rugby party by a guy I worked with. He was also a Senior. He saw a friend who was in town that had graduated the year before. They ran together (not in slow motion like the movies) and head butted until blood splattered. Then they drank shots of Tequila. Apparently this is a normal Rugby greeting.

I also knew a girl Rugby player and she must have been a terrific Rugby player. No facial scars, and she had all of her teeth at 22.

Later

Tatum

Practically Family
As far as the only child thing: If I was a nice less person, I'd ask them about their family birth-order and really intrusive questions using the stereotypes about birth order. But I'm not actually that rude.

Every once and a while, I like to tease my parents and ask them where they've been hiding my pony for the past several decades. It must be getting hungry. ;)

Yeah! Where IS that pony?

It's about as rude as saying to someone "Oh, since you always have be the center of attention, so you must be a middle child..." [huh]

Adcurium

A-List Customer
Remember that guy in college that did the "junk punch"? Everyone knew a guy like this... He would kind of "fist bump" below the belt. He would enter a room and everyone would get really jumpy. And he caused a lot of spilled drinks. He was usually the same guy who called everyone "chief"...

SgtRick

One of the Regulars
Remember that guy in college that did the "junk punch"? Everyone knew a guy like this... He would kind of "fist bump" below the belt. He would enter a room and everyone would get really jumpy. And he caused a lot of spilled drinks. He was usually the same guy who called everyone "chief"...

Yes the dreaded "junk punch". I had a guy in my squadron who liked to do that. Not the most popular guy to party with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou