Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fist bump vs hand shake

rue

Yeah! Where IS that pony?

It's about as rude as saying to someone "Oh, since you always have be the center of attention, so you must be a middle child..." [huh]

I want a pony. Do you have to be an only child to get one? That's not fair :( :p

I'm a first born, so I must be really head strong and stubborn...... oh wait.... never mind :p

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
and possibly a neck lick.
I have a feeling Rue's a face licker......

facelick.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
Remember that guy in college that did the "junk punch"? Everyone knew a guy like this... He would kind of "fist bump" below the belt. He would enter a room and everyone would get really jumpy. And he caused a lot of spilled drinks. He was usually the same guy who called everyone "chief"...
Ah yes, the thinly veiled grab at another guy's private parts. Most guys have known someone like that. The over the top manly man.
I am sure we all wonder if these guys ever came out of the closet.

I work with a guy who likes to 'sexually harass' other men as I tell him he's doing. He's always making a grab, not just down there, but in general. Makes me very uncomfortable when I see him doing that to people.

Ah yes, the thinly veiled grab at another guy's private parts. Most guys have known someone like that. The over the top manly man.
I am sure we all wonder if these guys ever came out of the closet.

R.G. White

One of the Regulars
Handshake. Handshake, handshake. My dad always tried to "fist-bump" me when I was little. I would get so mad because it wasn't the "proper" way to do things. I'll do it now not to be rude, but I still think it to be rather impolite. Forgive me for being a prude. :p
How about that hand-slide thing. I have no idea what it's called. It's like a handshake with out the shake... you just slide your hand across the other person's and grip each others fingers --- or something like that.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
I think he was doing a sociology post-doc or something like that. His research was really interesting (he was looking at peoples' who had multiple disabilities and used multiple assistive devices experiences in society), him not so much. But then he also went on and on about how his supervisor made him come and he hated being there. There were some issues with that conference due to organization, but I had a wonderful time and made some great friends/ colleagues.

As far as the only child thing: If I was a nice less person, I'd ask them about their family birth-order and really intrusive questions using the stereotypes about birth order. But I'm not actually that rude.

Every once and a while, I like to tease my parents and ask them where they've been hiding my pony for the past several decades. It must be getting hungry. ;)

I was being a bit facetious - jumping to another unjustified stereotype to match his only child slander. His research does sound interesting! Pity about his interpersonal skills though.

My cat always gives head bumps, so that's nothing new. She also gives backside-bumps, but only to people who really rate.

I'd like to have a tail, so I could do the cat thing of walking past aloofly (is that a word?) and then reaching back with my tail to wrap around the legs and say hello.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm a college student, aged 20 years. Everywhere I go the fist bump is also known as "respect knuckles", and function similarly to the high-five. I've not yet seen anyone, peer or otherwise, use it as a greeting.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
You can seal a deal with a handshake. Can you seal a deal with a fist bump? It loses something in the translation I think.

I don't think they are at all equivalent gestures. You also wouldn't seal a deal with a high five, and when you bowl a strike, you probably wouldn't shake someones hand. Well, maybe you would, but I wouldn't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Espasoner