Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fitted clothes and finesse...

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Dressing up with custom/fitted clothes takes different techniques, some of which are obvious right off the bat, some of which take a little finesse.

1. My girlfriend just last night laughed heartily when I explained the trouble I have with buttoning the top button of my fitted shirts. "You're not buttoning the top one last, are you?" I, of course, was. She made me promise (I lied) that I wouldn't tell anyone else of my complete idiocy. That top button should, of course, be buttoned first (giving the most difficult button the most slack, my girlfriend explained). Usually, after a shower, I put on my shirt, then my pants, buttoning the bottom part of the shirt right away, do up the pants, then put on a tie. With my fitted shirts, it needs to be done in almost the opposite order. The shirts fit absolutely perfectly once on and everything's in place; for this reason, the closeness of the fit requires a different touch (which, my girlfriend pointed out, should be patently obvious to anyone who's ever had to dress a baby; now I've had to dress my share of babies, so I just can't follow her on that one...)

2. Definitely have similar issues with my perfectly fitted Otabo shoes. I must have a shoe horn to get them on without ruining the heel (that or completely undo the laces each time I put them on). The shoes fit so well, and are so light with leather soles, I hardly notice I'm wearing shoes when I have them on; that fact, the close-fitting nature, as above, make them have more serious requirements in order to don.

3. My fitted jackets with high armholes require a totally different technique than off-the-rack stuff, even expertly tailored. No way can I put one sleeve all the way on, then the other. I have to extend both arms behind me, holding the jacket, and put my arms in at the same time. Amazing to me with the shirts and jackets is that even though they're so close-fitting, I'm actually more easily able to be active, to, say, bend over and pick something up off the floor without having to re-adjust all garments again.

4. My overcoat has similar un-American high-armhole tailoring. When I have on a suit, either I have to have someone help me put the coat on or I have to hang it on a hanger and slide it on, both arms simultaneously as above. Of course, it depends how concerned I am about it dragging for a moment on the ground (it hangs just below my knees when on). It's a plush thick warm cashmere-wool blend in medium camel color.

5. While the fitted slacks don't require any new techniques to wear, they just take getting used to. When everything fits exactly everywhere, it can feel, well, a little close for comfort. But then I realize for me that slight unease stems from my perennial internal monologue, "Oh no, if I gain 6 ounces I'll have to have these let out...."

6. Lastly, the lid. I really, honestly have to say that my custom hat from Art Fawcett is nothing but a pure joy in my life. Gives me no trouble of any kind whatsoever; walks with me looking bold and just right at all times. Folks see me in it and immediately give me more respect than they might otherwise (most of 'em anyway [huh]). I feel more confident than normal when I'm wearing my hat (in my avatar at the moment). I walk into a room in that hat and it's like no contest; every fedora wearer within eyesight tucks their tail under their legs and thinks about heading home. Well, OK, that's harsh and not true at all, but you know what I mean...

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Good to know on all fronts. It's true, fitted clothes take more effort to put on though less effort to wear.

I still need to go for the Otabos. I had my feet scanned a year ago and hmmm. I'm thinking what would look good and, well... It's costly. I'll get some soon enough.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
adamgottschalk said:
That top button should, of course, be buttoned first
I've been wearing custom shirts for years and I've never buttoned the top button first. I start at the bottom, actually the second button from the bottom[huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran