Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Let me ask this question,

If 5Star started using brand name leather like Horween/Shinki/Badalassi, are you willing to pay 3 times the price for it (over $1k)?

If 5Star started using brand name leather like Horween/Shinki/Badalassi, are you willing to pay 3 times the price for it (over $1k)?
No, pattern and construction still aren't there. I still believe Carlos said it best when he described them as 2-D. This is most obvious in the construction o the sleeves, which have always been a problem in my jackets.

Bluechel

Practically Family

Of course not. That's not necessary or relevant to their business, but it is quite possible for them to upgrade their hides utilizing regional availability.

MadCat

Familiar Face
No, pattern and construction still aren't there. I still believe Carlos said it best when he described them as 2-D. This is most obvious in the construction o the sleeves, which have always been a problem in my jackets.
What can they do to the sleeves to make them better in your opinion?

What can they do to the sleeves to make them better in your opinion?
Understand curvature and 3-D design
Compare this:
IMG_5589.jpeg

To any 5 Star on hanger or laid flat. It’s just basic sleeve construction. It’s not right with 5 Star. There is zero curvature. The sleeves come straight out of the shoulder like tapered pant legs. A vest with sleeves as an afterthought. Ironically the only jacket of mine from them that got this right was the second one. Then things changed and they used 2 panel sleeves and they were a disaster. I asked for the original 3 panel and somehow still not quite right:
IMG_8065.jpeg

Vs:
IMG_3471.jpeg

I feel like the problem is fairly obvious yet I could never effectively convey it.

MadCat

Familiar Face
Understand curvature and 3-D design
Compare this: View attachment 565124

To any 5 Star on hanger or laid flat. It’s just basic sleeve construction. It’s not right with 5 Star. There is zero curvature. The sleeves come straight out of the shoulder like tapered pant legs. A vest with sleeves as an afterthought. Ironically the only jacket of mine from them that got this right was the second one. Then things changed and they used 2 panel sleeves and they were a disaster. I asked for the original 3 panel and somehow still not quite right:
View attachment 565126
Vs:
View attachment 565127
I feel like the problem is fairly obvious yet I could never effectively convey it.
That is a problem. Will they listen if you request arm curvature and to use 3 panel sleeves?

Send them the right patterns and they will make them perfectly. As has been said many times in this thread, 5* are not designers, but contract manufacturers. Copies work great and exact specifications work great. The rest is chance.
I think there is a lack of basic construction knowledge/techniques to over come too. One should not have to describe how to make a sleeve. Design elements, placement, etc sure. But teaching sleeve construction is impossible. I know it’s been discussed to death but it bears repeating.

58panheadfan

One Too Many
I think there is a lack of basic construction knowledge/techniques to over come too. One should not have to describe how to make a sleeve. Design elements, placement, etc sure. But teaching sleeve construction is impossible. I know it’s been discussed to death but it bears repeating.
You are right about sleeve techniques used by 5Star, but I have to say it turned out perfectly with my 3 panel sleeve on the trojan. Also I have the same feeling on some "strange" sleeve configurations from Thedi and FL (both looks as vests with added sleeves with very pointed shoulders). Shoulder and sleeve construction has to do with curvature and arm hole: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/leather-jacket-shoulders.108978/#post-2950659

2-or-more

New in Town
I had to take my whiskey horsehide biker jacket to the local tailor to get the sleeves narrowed. İt didn't fix the whole problem though. I think the leather is actually good enough but as you guys stated, the sleeve construction is not there.

nattevagten

A-List Customer
Damn, with the shipping and taxes, the biker jacket totals around 400 euro. Now that you mention the sleeve issue, it seems it's simply not worth it

Here are two photos to illustrate the difference between two panel and three panel sleeves. On the left the Roadmaster with two panels and on the right the Trojan with three panel sleeves. The sleeves on the Roadmaster are straighter, the sleeves on the Trojan are turned more forward.

View attachment 565388

View attachment 565389
The Sky master is copied from the Protech?

Damn, with the shipping and taxes, the biker jacket totals around 400 euro. Now that you mention the sleeve issue, it seems it's simply not worth it
It's not. You can get a used Vanson for less and you are getting 10 times a better jacket. I don't want to bag on 5 Star....but the materials and construction techniques simply do not match that price tag IMO.

58panheadfan

One Too Many
The Sky master is copied from the Protech?
Yes, with a few small changes. The trojan is a bit longer and has no belt loops or sleeve straps because I wear it as a “civilian” jacket. The protech is my "bike" jacket, which with its shorter length is perfect for my upright sitting position on the bike. The half belt on the 5star trojan is also designed to be a bit more concave.

IMG_7269.jpg

IMG_7270.jpg

KBlake

One Too Many
It's not. You can get a used Vanson for less and you are getting 10 times a better jacket. I don't want to bag on 5 Star....but the materials and construction techniques simply do not match that price tag IMO.
That may be, but I've never had a Vanson that fit me right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace