Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

Peacoat

Bartender
I am going to close this thread until I can determine how to merge threads under our new format.

Please post comments in the extant thread:

Hobbes1

A-List Customer
Looks outstanding. Time to fire up the message canon. I def want a trim HB in it.
I can't wait to see what you end up with! Hopefully, you will think well of the HH. As this is the first HH jacket for me, I don't have anything else to compare. Seems like a nice jacket all around. I had only a brief time with it yesterday due to other commitments. I hope to spend more time wearing it later today or over the weekend. Naturally, it's supposed to be in the 70s F today and raining tomorrow LOL. Just my luck. Oh well, I think this one is a keeper.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
First impressions: The jacket is wonderfully constructed. Leather is wonderfully supple, but lacks character (Character can be built) This is tagged a size 38, still feels a little big. Proportions feels good, movement is great. Love the wider upper sleeves. The sleevezips are not necessary as the end of the sleeves are too wide anyway with them fully zipped. Some minor tweaks on this in the @Hobbes1 brown horsehide would be sooooooo cool.
Some pics....

View attachment 402949 View attachment 402950 View attachment 402951 View attachment 402952
Jacket looks good. All hardware seems to be upgraded from previous versions. That's nice.
How did you get steerhide? Online is goatskin. Did you place order online and then message Shawn to change?

It's here. Pictures shot in late afternoon, no direct light but outside. No fit pics atm.
This is a nice jacket and very wearable. Collar and lapel folds need some training.
It weighs about 4 pounds but is soft and supple. Smells good. Feels good. It's the first HH jacket I've had and a nice contrast to the premium goat that 5* offers. More to come
Shawn's new horsehide looks really good. Looks aniline finish (see through) with some pull up.

I've also got pics in message from Shawn today about my brown HH HB. Couldn't tell if that's my horsehide or his. And he hasn't confirmed. I am really looking forward to the horsehide he has on offer, which I thought it was gonna be March restock. If they all turn out like Hobbes then I really don't see the point of importing actual Horweens or Shinki or Victoria SRL. Can't wait to get my hands on them to see how they feel.

5star hb 01.jpg

Hobbes1

A-List Customer
Jacket looks good. All hardware seems to be upgraded from previous versions. That's nice.
How did you get steerhide? Online is goatskin. Did you place order online and then message Shawn to change?

Shawn's new horsehide looks really good. Looks aniline finish (see through) with some pull up.

I've also got pics in message from Shawn today about my brown HH HB. Couldn't tell if that's my horsehide or his. And he hasn't confirmed. I am really looking forward to the horsehide he has on offer, which I thought it was gonna be March restock. If they all turn out like Hobbes then I really don't see the point of importing actual Horweens or Shinki or Victoria SRL. Can't wait to get my hands on them to see how they feel.

View attachment 403059
Jacket looks really nice. I wish I had some prior experience with the brands of HH you've mentioned and I could tell you right off if the 5* is close. Hopefully, you guys with your vast experience will be pleased. I like the jacket and feel like it has scratched that HH "itch" for me. Anyway, best wishes for you guys in what you receive!

randan

New in Town
Hi there

greetings from a long time lurker. This is such a great thread, with a lot of useful information.
I am considering buying a Five Star Leather jacket as well but I still have some questions.

How do i proceed if I want to order a stock jacket, but wiht modified pockets? I am interested in this Amalia Earhart style jacket here:

DSC_0155copy_1024x1024.jpg

but with pockets from this jackets here:

FROONT_1024x1024.jpg

(I know that this may not be historically correct, but thats no what I am seeking anyway). Thanks in advance for your support.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Prices will go up very soon. It's minimum.
I hope they don't! At least not too much.

I get that every maker would want to raise prices after all that went on over the past two years. Logistic cost has literally gone through the roof for the makers on the other side of the Pacific/Atlantic.

One of the biggest appeal of 5Star for me has been the Value. Instead of buying one expensive Irvin jacket that I would only wear a few days a year I got a 5Star Irvin which was just as good but cost less because no inflated branding cost. With the remaining money I got a few other things, some 5star some not.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Hi there

greetings from a long time lurker. This is such a great thread, with a lot of useful information.
I am considering buying a Five Star Leather jacket as well but I still have some questions.

How do i proceed if I want to order a stock jacket, but wiht modified pockets? I am interested in this Amalia Earhart style jacket here:

DSC_0155copy_1024x1024.jpg

but with pockets from this jackets here:

FROONT_1024x1024.jpg

(I know that this may not be historically correct, but thats no what I am seeking anyway). Thanks in advance for your support.
@MrProper

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hehe, so let's wait what our Five Star Leather expert has to say... ;o)
lol
So I would take the picture of the Earhart jacket and cross out the pockets in red and circle the pockets of the other jacket in red. And then describe in the text what is meant by that.
If the angle and size of the pockets are important, then also draw the exact measurements in the picture.
If you want any other adjustments length or further, also specify this exactly. Otherwise also say that you want the jacket exactly as in the picture (except for the pockets, of course).

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
@Hobbes1 Amazing jacket sir! And about time you made with the pics, lol.

Looking at your pictures, looks like it's a very supple, non stiff leather, would love to see it worn just to see how it drapes. Looks like Shawn is gaining speed on getting the character right, your first photos looks like it's flat and uniform, but the later photos shows alot of grain, wrinkles, and such, and it has some of that wrinkled shirt out of the dryer/spiderwebbing look that people love about CXL, Vicenza, Bainbridge, etc etc. And I'm glad to see he's using the same colorish that he used on the brown CHL, honestly one of the best hues of brown I've seen anywhere.

If what @born113 says is true, I'm not surprised one bit. All of this felt like market research, no way Shawn will be willing to exchange a ton of emails and messages to produce a one off jacket for a tiny margin, even if he is in Pakistan. He's quickly figuring out what styles have broader appeal, what people are looking for in premium leathers and producing them. That's a ton of trial and error, especially since he's tanning the hides in house as well.

randan

New in Town
Perfect, thank you for your answer. I also saw an older post from you with very detailled instructions how to customize a Five Star Leather jacket, this is very useful.

One last silly question but Shawn.fivestarleather@gmail.com is the email to request for such special orders, isn't it?

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Perfect, thank you for your answer. I also saw an older post from you with very detailled instructions how to customize a Five Star Leather jacket, this is very useful.

One last silly question but Shawn.fivestarleather@gmail.com is the email to request for such special orders, isn't it?
Yes, that is the email. But I actually only use Facebook messenger with him. That's where I always got an answer the fastest.

I can't wait to see what you end up with! Hopefully, you will think well of the HH. As this is the first HH jacket for me, I don't have anything else to compare. Seems like a nice jacket all around. I had only a brief time with it yesterday due to other commitments. I hope to spend more time wearing it later today or over the weekend. Naturally, it's supposed to be in the 70s F today and raining tomorrow LOL. Just my luck. Oh well, I think this one is a keeper.
A few tweaks, your horse and I’m calling it good! Oh yes and keep the LGBT friendly puurple liner:D
A3CC0037-C328-40B6-BBF4-247615A67DE5.jpeg

Last edited:

Hobbes1

A-List Customer
First impressions: The jacket is wonderfully constructed. Leather is wonderfully supple, but lacks character (Character can be built) This is tagged a size 38, still feels a little big. Proportions feels good, movement is great. Love the wider upper sleeves. The sleevezips are not necessary as the end of the sleeves are too wide anyway with them fully zipped. Some minor tweaks on this in the @Hobbes1 brown horsehide would be sooooooo cool.
Some pics....

View attachment 402949 View attachment 402950 View attachment 402951 View attachment 402952
Another 5* win for you! We both got nice jackets for sure. Well done!!

Imuricecreamman

One Too Many

View attachment 403059
I messaged Shawn if the Steerhide was available for this jacket, he said No problem and I added the mouton collar for that "Canuck swag" Now for the trademarked @Carlos840 spraybottle treatment to see if this jacket can blossom.

Hobbes1

A-List Customer
Here are some fit pics. Poor quality, I know. But you can see for yourself how the jacket drapes. Cheers!

Attachments

• 2A69E39F-7920-40A8-AF15-4DBD95EFE204.jpeg
    2A69E39F-7920-40A8-AF15-4DBD95EFE204.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 187
  • E503108C-D0B1-4DE7-9C0E-39EA24A2ED3D.jpeg
    E503108C-D0B1-4DE7-9C0E-39EA24A2ED3D.jpeg
    333.8 KB · Views: 185
  • 6AD6F562-7C13-40E0-AD7F-AAC8FE6AD36E.jpeg
    6AD6F562-7C13-40E0-AD7F-AAC8FE6AD36E.jpeg
    943.3 KB · Views: 162
  • 1AD0ED51-7F4A-4C3C-9C8F-9F4B324DB387.jpeg
    1AD0ED51-7F4A-4C3C-9C8F-9F4B324DB387.jpeg