Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

Rugby

One of the Regulars
Question to the 5* sizing aficionados: If a body measurement is x what would the garment measurement be?
Example: Chest circumference 52" taken with just a t-shirt on. How do the good people at 5* translate that to the jacket chest measurement?
Your input is greatly appreciated as the jacket I've ordered is ready and I'm concerned about the sizing from the pictures I received.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Question to the 5* sizing aficionados: If a body measurement is x what would the garment measurement be?
Example: Chest circumference 52" taken with just a t-shirt on. How do the good people at 5* translate that to the jacket chest measurement?
Your input is greatly appreciated as the jacket I've ordered is ready and I'm concerned about the sizing from the pictures I received.
I never give body measurements, but always the measurements that the jacket should have. My impression is that 5* interprets the body measurements too generously and the jacket is probably 5-6 inches wider than the body measurements.

Rugby

One of the Regulars
I never give body measurements, but always the measurements that the jacket should have. My impression is that 5* interprets the body measurements too generously and the jacket is probably 5-6 inches wider than the body measurements.
I'm a bit confused, if the body measurements are a particular set of numbers, 5-6 inches larger is more than accounting for some allowed roominess. Well. anyway the jacket is on it's way according to them and so I'll figure out how the correspondence body->jacket measurements translate. Fingers crossed I don't get a sheet

MrProper

57CEA7DF-8DC3-4CFC-9DB8-B6E36A3FB7A4.jpeg
CF62BAA3-6D29-40BF-9603-A84EFC227D04.jpeg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I hope you ordered 5XL sized trucker:
Image1.jpg

Does your jacket measure 27" P2P to 28" P2P?
With the high arm holes it will work. With the slim fit you can go tighter than the +5" to 6" from chest measurements.

The trucker have wide shoulders so that should fit most.

Rugby

One of the Regulars
View attachment 412272
With the high arm holes it will work. With the slim fit you can go tighter than the +5" to 6" from chest measurements.

Yeah, they suggested I should order 5XL from the site. So I guess the real item, which is in transit, will serve as fitting jacket for future orders.

Gr8Lakes

Familiar Face
View attachment 412272

I believe you’ve said in the past that, based on your experience with 5*, an accurate shoulder size is your starting point. Then you make the necessary adjustments from there. Did I understand that correctly?

I’m going to start my ordering process today. Style wise I’m going to keep things as close to 5*’s original pattern, only adding zippered hand pockets, and size modifications.

* (Still undecided between black steer-hide or black goat. Suggestions anyone?)

When you order, do you use your actual shoulder width? Or do you compensate with some room for movement/layering?

This will be my lightweight summer riding jacket, so I want a snug fit with only lightweight shirts underneath.

For me, standard sizing usually results in a jacket that’s too long in the body, baggy in the waist, and short in the arms.

My most current measurements with tight t-shirt/undershirt:

Shoulders: 19”
Chest: 44”
Belly: 36.5”
Waist over jeans and belt: 38.5”
Neckline to Waistline: 20” (most abnormal/challenging for me)
Arm length: 25.5” (second most challenging)

Really appreciate any help that anyone can give. I’ve had bad luck with custom internet orders in the past.

MTS

Familiar Face
I believe you’ve said in the past that, based on your experience with 5*, an accurate shoulder size is your starting point. Then you make the necessary adjustments from there. Did I understand that correctly?

I’m going to start my ordering process today. Style wise I’m going to keep things as close to 5*’s original pattern, only adding zippered hand pockets, and size modifications.

When you order, do you use your actual shoulder width? Or do you compensate with some room for movement/layering?

This will be my lightweight summer riding jacket, so I want a snug fit with only lightweight shirts underneath.

For me, standard sizing usually results in a jacket that’s too long in the body, baggy in the waist, and short in the arms.

Really appreciate any help that anyone can give. I’ve had bad luck with custom internet orders in the past.

You should account for extra space in the shoulders otherwise it will be tattooed. I went with ~2.5 inches extra in the chest and my jacket fits me slim. The high armholes and slim cut makes for a snug fit.

I know a lot of people here love the premium black goat. I got black steer and I personally love it.

Formeruser012524

One of the Regulars
This might be it. I was asking Shawn about different browns, and he sent this picture. He just called it “hide distressed brown.” No indication of what kind of hide though. He said it is 1.2-1.3mm. View attachment 412127
It has a slightly purple-ish tint to it, which I'm not sure how it looks on a complete/finished jacket. Five* has various different browns and distressed versions on almost every hide except for steerhide, which is unfortunate because my next jacket needs to be steerhide, and I can't find the brown that I'm looking for. I guess I'll just need to talk to him to figure out a solution, because I definitely don't want to mess with the jacket at home trying to adjust the color.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up

Below are for reference only. I could be totally off but I hope I am not.

If it's the slim fit pattern (like the trucker), I would suggest to modify based on the XL size given your measurements. This is how I would do it, you might like different fits, so use only as reference:
Image3.jpg

I am basically a leaner version of you with 15lbs less gym muscles up top. So that's how I estimate the above custom sizes. I order size L in 5Star slim fit sizing (trucker), with the exact same custom waist, sleeve and 1" longer in the torso length because it's a casual jacket. Riding length would be in the 23" maximum 24" for me.

My measurements:
Body Measurements.jpg

I am also assuming we are about the same height, at 6', given your to waist number. You could be an inch taller, but unless you are over 6'2" there is no need for Long sizes.

Now about shoulder width. This is tricky but still (trial and error) science based...
My dress shirts measures 17" ish front shoulder, 18" ish back shoulder. US size medium. With stretchy cottons it works just fine. But I have Levis size Medium truckers that didn't work, so I chopped off the sleeves. So my trial and error is that the front shoulder (jacket) has to be in the 18"'s for me to work. Most jackets are measured from the back, which sometimes is bigger than the front but not always. This is the tricky part. I have jackets that measure 20" across the shoulder at the back, and it doesn't droop off my shoulders which are not 20" across, more like 18" ish across.

Levis Trucker Medium Measurement 003.jpg

This is why I think 20" shoulder will work (in your case) just fine.

From your numbers I am guessing you wear (mall brands) US Large tops and US 34 waist jeans. And the tops are always loose at the waist, but going down to medium would be too small up top. And your size 34 jeans are always a bit looser than you'd like so you wear a belt to hold them up. I am guessing this because I have both US medium and large tops, and 32 and 34 waist jeans, and I am most likely 15 to 20 lbs lighter than you.

Good luck with your first 5Star. I've bought from other (India and China) imports before and I've always ditched them. Shawn is the only one I sort of stuck with. I am sure you will find what you want there. Go with the horsehide, its a bit rustic but better overall leather. Goat is great but everyone has 3oz goat these days at the low prices.

Gr8Lakes

Familiar Face
Sooo helpful! Thank you so much. You nailed all the assumed sizes, except my height. I’m only 5’10”. This is why riding jackets especially are a struggle for me. I HATE when a zipped up jacket pushes up into my neck. Jeans are a struggle, either 32 or 34 depending on brand. And yup, I’m top heavy. My son’s 14 and I remind him that fitness is supposed to be full body, not just weight lifting focusing on the vanity of upper body. I did a lot of free-weight lifting in my high school and college days, and it makes for an unnatural body shape later in life. (Not to mention I carried extra fat for a few years after an accident where I fractured a vertebrae. Fortunately I’ve gotten that back under control).

You seem to have the measurement process down, because I really like how your jackets fit. Your HH trucker is just great, and I even like the (somewhat criticized) snap layout. I’d unsnap the bottom snap when driving, or even just during casual wear. I’ll see if he has a good horse in black for me - the extra $100 sounds worth it.

I’ll use your advice, but promise I understand it’s still a trial process. But again, great advice and extremely helpful. I so appreciate you taking the time. I’ll of course show and tell the final result.

Zoo

One of the Regulars
I am seriously considering a Five Star Irvin, but I am concerned about length measurements. Any thoughts on how a USN M444 jacket fits compared to an Irvin? An M444 is the only shearling jacket I have access to.

Rugby

One of the Regulars
I am seriously considering a Five Star Irvin, but I am concerned about length measurements. Any thoughts on how a USN M444 jacket fits compared to an Irvin? An M444 is the only shearling jacket I have access to.
I don't think there is an exact mapping of body to jacket measurements or jacket to jacket unless you send them a similar jacket that fits you just like you want it and they use it as a guide. @Canuck Panda has done a pretty good job mapping his body measurements to the jacket and his process seems pretty well thought out. I will see if it applies to my case when I receive my jacket.

Bahabp100

Practically Family
I like some room with my clothes. Tight feels kinda...claustrophobic to me. If this jacket comes out even approximately right, the way I want it, I'll be ordering more from them. I have my eye on the Cossack and the '30s half belt like the one @Griemersma or @ton312 got
Don’t be scared if he says your a 5X . I wear his 5X but that translates to a 2XL American. If your body chest measures 52, than your pit to pit should be 56-58 inches unless you like it tight I wear a 50 or sometimes 52 or XXL off the rack These are the QC shots of the 28 pit 26 middle and the bottom was 27 based on a Natal I had that fit right . He said that was an 5XL Long for a giant lol
FB5C3CF0-FE88-49CE-AA29-425BEB81142A.jpeg
B88EC7BD-07EB-4F3E-ABAD-0E0230C50155.jpeg
6421C83E-9C5F-4009-8C12-6BD0D0FD4DAB.jpeg

Last edited:

Rugby

One of the Regulars
Don’t be scared if he says your a 5X . I wear his 5X but that translates to a 2XL American.
If your body chest measures 52, than your pit to pit should be 56-58 inches unless you like it tight
That's good to know. Thank you.
Definitely I will be much more accurate with my next adventure with 5*, as this whole exchange has been quite educational.

Aloysius

The one big issue with Five Star is how disgusting the goatskin smells. I left two jackets out for a month each and the wretched smell didn't go away.

Do their other leathers smell this bad?

MTS

Familiar Face
My black steer smells pretty nice. It seems the goatskin smell is pretty random. Bunch of people has said it smells either bad or chemically, others have said it just has a regular goat leather smell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo