Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fixing hat bands?

violaine

New in Town
this is sort of an involved question, so I didn't put it in the "ask a question" thread. and couldn't find anything similar on searches. so, first part of the question . . .

I finally bought a diamond-crown porkpie I've been wanting, but I guess I waited too late, because I got the last size medium they had and the band was all wonked up on one side:

leftside.jpg

front.jpg

rightside.jpg

but I like everything about the hat and I got it for $18+ shipping when it was originally $44, so I want to keep it. so my question is, can a band like this be fixed -- like ironed maybe? the stitching on it seems like it wouldn't work with ironing. and does anyone know if JJ Hats in Manhattan will do this kind of work on hats that weren't bought in their store? or any hat shop in the city, really. I have no idea how stuff like this works . . .

and part II of my question: I've been looking at hat bands online in case I need to get a completely new one . . . there's lots of solid bands, but one of the reasons I liked this hat to begin with was that the band is a bit more ornate than my other hats. it's also 2" tall so I'd want at least something 1.5". I found this site from another old 'hat bands' thread posted here:

http://www.theribbonretreat.com/CatalogOfCategories/ribbon.aspx

are these ribbons the sort of material that works with hats well? or is it only the "grosgrain" section that would work? I like some of striped and plaid ribbons particularly. and, again, could I take it to a hat shop in the city and have them make the band from the ribbon?

whew. that took awhile to sort out.

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
Don't know if this will work for you or not, but I found a vintage hat in a thrift store where the ribbon was all wrinkled up in one area.....

I called Art to tap into his fountain of knowledge and I was told to just spray the ribbon with distilled water and stretch it back into shape gently with my hands.......

It worked perfectly for me and no water stains after drying, of course i didn't drown it but sprayed lightly enough..

Lots of guys use steam around here for other tasks, perhaps that might work but I am sure someone will come on and let you for sure.....

violaine

New in Town
Don't know if this will work for you or not, but I found a vintage hat in a thrift store where the ribbon was all wrinkled up in one area.....

I called Art to tap into his fountain of knowledge and I was told to just spray the ribbon with distilled water and stretch it back into shape gently with my hands.......

It worked perfectly for me and no water stains after drying, of course i didn't drown it but sprayed lightly enough..

Lots of guys use steam around here for other tasks, perhaps that might work but I am sure someone will come on and let you for sure.....

ahh, interesting. might as well try it since I don't think it'd do any harm even if it doesn't work. thanks. and I've been meaning to try steaming my scala outback, see if I can reshape the brim a bit on one side. I'll try both next weekend.

labricoleuse

New in Town
I'm totally new here, but i thought i'd chuck my $0.02 in. I work as a theatrical crafts artisan (which means one of my main responsibilities is the making/refurbishment/restoration/repair of hats, mens and womens), and when i get a hat in with a totally crushed brim, if the misting trick already described doesn't freshen it enough, i use a tool called a mini iron, which looks like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Clover-Mini-Iron/dp/B0001DUWRC

A regular iron would probably be fine as well, if you are careful not to burn yourself or smash the felt with the overhangy bits. The mini is just easier to be accurate with, without leaving iron-shoe "footprints" on the finish of the felt.

labricoleuse

New in Town
Good tip the now have the Clover Mini Iron 2.

Clover-Mini-Iron-II-Adapter

They do indeed. And this is probably more relevant to one of the ladies forums (since i gather this one is devoted to mens hats rather than millinery), but you can also get a whole bunch of different shapes for the II model, including French silk flower irons (spheres and eggs for making rounded petals, leaf spine presses, etc).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran