Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flightsuits' Raider Jacket

Chad Miller

New in Town
Hello there,

I've been looking around here for awhile, and I have to agree with all the other posts commenting on the friendliness and helpfulness of this forum. It's certainly been a boon to my wardrobe...and a bane to my pocketbook!

Anyway, I've been looking for a leather jacket from the late 30s or early 40s and, wanting something besides an A-2, and not wanting to look too much like a certain fedora-clad adventurer, I came upon FlightSuits Raider jacket. My question is, does the jacket indeed date back 60 years like the description says, or is that just a marketing ploy? Any information is greatly appreciated.

Chad Miller

Michaelson

One Too Many
I used to own one, and promptly gave it away. Heaviest jacket I've ever owned in my life, bar none, and it was cowhide! :eek:
That said, I'm not sure about the 60 year design span of the jacket. Reminded me of a civilian inspired A-2 in design, but that's just what I thought when I got hold of it. Nice jacket all in all, as all FS jackets are quality made. This one just wasn't my cup of tea.

Regards! Michaelson

Baggers

Practically Family
Greetings from another newbie!

Hi Chad. I agree, places like this are great for the information and cameraderie, but can sometimes be a real drain on the pocketbook!

At any rate, that Raider's jacket from Flight Suits seems to me to look awfully close to an A-2, and you said you wanted something different. Have you looked at the selection over at Aero Leather Clothing in Scotland:

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/webapp/aeroleather/servlet/AeroViewPage?page=home

They've got a great selection of 30s and 40s styles, and they'll also work with you if you have any special requests, which I understand Flight Suits doesn't do anymore. Their U.S. rep has a store on eBay called Aero Leather USA. They are expensive, but you get what you pay for!

Cheers!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Actually, this jacket appears closer to the G-1/G-2 design than an A-2, having gussets, bi-swing back, and inside windflap. I took a look, and Avirex makes one too (and it's not cheap) - see page 3 of their Jackets selection at:

http://www3.mailordercentral.com/avirexaviator/default.asp

I'm not sure about the historical background of these jackets. I do recall that they were quite popular in the mid/late 80s, made by several manufacturers including Schott, and that I lusted after one for a while. They were seen on lots of TV characters back in those days.

I was thinking that, just maybe, I have seen similar jackets worn by non-military pilots in old 30s/40s films like Only Angels Have Wings (though most of the jackets in that film are A-1s and A-2s)... but maybe not. It would be nice if somebody could come up with a picture of one from the old days...

Chad Miller

New in Town
Thanks for the help. I might go with something like Aero's Californian. I'm a little nervous about ordering a jacket off the internet, due mainly to sizing and actual appearance, so this is something I've been mulling over for awhile, especially at such prices. But I may just have to take the plunge and see what happens.

Chad

rick5150

One of the Regulars
Chad,

Nothing to worry about. You can e-mail Mark Moye or Amanda Stevens and you will be immediately put to ease as they will ensure you get exactly what you are looking for. Here is Mark's e-mail address:

AeroLeatherUSA@aol.com

The jackets are custom made, and they ask for your chest measurements, shirt size, weight and height and the type of fit you prefer. I have yet to meet a better team of folks. Top notch.

Lastly, even with the time difference between the US ans Scotland, the e-mail communications are excellent. Mark has replied a few times within minutes of my e-mail. Try them out, you will not be disappointed!

Baggers

Practically Family
I wholeheartedly agree. I just received my second jacket from Aero over the weekend and it fits perfectly. I dealt directly with Scotland through Amanda and Michael, and never had a problem. The neat thing is that that both my jackets were shipped within a week of ordering. It may be getting a bit close to the holidays to get that quick a turnaround right now, but you never know.

Cheers!

The Mad Hatter

A-List Customer
I'm a little nervous about ordering a jacket off the internet, due mainly to sizing and actual appearance, so this is something I've been mulling over for awhile, especially at such prices. But I may just have to take the plunge and see what happens.

I's have to disagree with some of the fellows above.

I actually prefer Aero, but I'm a seasoned customer by now and know what size I am getting.

So far as sizes are concerned, Flightsuits is completely orthodox. You won't be surprised. Just order your normal size, and it will work out. ( And if you nevertheless want to make a return, the postage is one heck of a lot less. ).

Aero is indeed a fabulous jacket - but its sizing can be screwy.

I almost bought a Flightsuits Raiders as my first jacket. I was then subscribing to a flight jackets mailing list, where everyone was very picky about whether a jacket's do-hickey was properly alighed with its whatsit. So I felt like throwing up my hands and instead just getting what looked to be a good leather flight jacket without any historical pretensions. (I.e., a Raider ) As things turned out, however, Flightsuits put an Historical M422A on sale just as I was about to buy; so I got that instead. Both it and my Expedition are perfectly good jackets.

rick5150

One of the Regulars
Baggers said:
The neat thing is that that both my jackets were shipped within a week of ordering. It may be getting a bit close to the holidays to get that quick a turnaround right now, but you never know.

Cheers!

I ordered my Highwayman on Thanksgiving (well, I placed the order a bit earlier, but after goofing around with a few modifications, I confirmed the order on Thatnksgiving). It shipped out today. That is a good turnaround for a custom jacket.

Amanda stated that the individuals making the jackets can put a complete jacket together start to finish in about 3 hours. Great people to work with.

Bebop

Practically Family
Heavy is good.

I have been looking at this jacket for quite some time now. I went with a U.S. Authentic A-2 and it has worked out fine but I like the style of the Raider. Hearing that it is a heavy jacket makes it more attractive to me. I like a heavier jacket. If I have one complaint about the U.S. A jacket, it is that it is too light and feels like a heavy shirt more than a jacket.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I noticed last night that Kevin Costner wears the classic 80s version of this jacket through most of "Field of Dreams". It's very much like a G-1, but with a leather plain collar and the double, zipper-topped, handwarmer-sided pockets.

The Mad Hatter

A-List Customer
I noticed last night that Kevin Costner wears the classic 80s version of this jacket through most of "Field of Dreams". It's very much like a G-1, but with a leather plain collar and the double, zipper-topped, handwarmer-sided pockets.

The Flightsuits "Civilian G-1, " which you can have modified to have leather rather than mouton collar, sounds a lot like this. It's handwarmer pockets would lack a zipper top, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael