Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flying boots

Dr H

Call Me a Cab

Theo J.

New in Town
There's an eBay retailer, SM WHOLESALE STORE, who offers replica RAF flying boots in both black and brown. They mainly serve the film industry, but the price isn't too bad and the boots look okay. Anyone dealt with them?

karhu21

One of the Regulars
Have a look at the Lewis Leathers website. They offer a well made pair sheepskin lined flying/motorcycle boots.
Not exactly cheap but look high quality.

jerry_k

New in Town
Hi everyone:)

Im looking for a RAAF M1936 flying boots made by Bedggood of Melbourne. Any chance to help me with locate one???

Thanks for help,
Jerry

fishmeok

Vendor
Pics of the Cockpit '36 repops (for sale in the classifieds)
Cheers
Mark

018-2_zps06d2d972.jpg

015-1_zps3f984052.jpg

017-1_zps5041aef0.jpg

016-1_zps9c8eef9d.jpg

fishmeok

Vendor
Thought this might be an interesting comparison. A pair of Cockpit 1936 boots in brown and the hard to find Aero A11 flight boots. The Cockpit boots had a bad dye job on them to make them black and I had to strip and re-finish. Ended up having to paint them with Angelus leather paint to get a good finish. The Aero boots are horsehide and super comfy- but as rare as they are I don't wear them much, and not in the winter...

FYI, the cockpit boots run AT LEAST a full size smaller than the tagged size. These are a 10 and just a bit tight. I have been looking for a pair of brown 36's for years in my size, have been through at least 3 pairs of the black ones that were always just a little too small....

013_zpsae6c9c93.jpg

012_zps2fad5acd.jpg

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab

I had the chance to buy both the prototype Aero boots, must be going back 10 years now, about £100 for either. They were also around a 9 1/2, but they were too tight.
I bought(ordered) a pair of 1936 boots, instead but loved these.Bit of a short lived venture as I dont think Aero do boots now. They were outworked and though excellent one of mine has developed a squeak.
J

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Felt the Urge to ask here, if anyone saw the Movie Promethius, and noticed the scene where some of the ships Crew were sporting The RAF pattern Escape boots!!!

Hawkmoon

New in Town
Hi Ponsenby,

I just saw your review of the Motorcowboy Patt 36 boots. Very interesting?

Have you seen or heard much about the Lewis Leathers boots? Given that you have a pair of Motorcowboy boots, I was wondering what your opinion might be of them? What are your thoughts and impressions between the two?

Regards,

Hawk

All,

Much talk but no actual decent reports anywhere on the Motorcowboy 36'ers. I spied a new pair on eBay recently and took a punt on them and got them for $250!

So, to set minds at ease and to try to help others in their decisions for buying, as I had no other reference myself;

The soles are well stitched and they have used quality leather for them. Not the scary Indian piss tanned leather you see on some repro boots! The heels are rubber but not of wartime type but the rest of the heel is stacked leather so will accommodate a more appropriate heel rubber if desired.

Overall leather used is NOT the stiff "won't break in if you dragged them behnd a tractor" stuff some have said they are made of. it is a decent thickness but supple, not hard. i don't have a micrometer so cannot comment further! The pair I got are a dark russet, not unlike a new pair of Blundstones.

The vamp seam, the all important vamp seam, is 100% correct in that it is flat. I think this is the most impressive part of the boot. All seams on these boots are of bespoke quality. They will last a lifetime if cared for correctly. Th

The wool lining is not white but rather a tan shade and shows as an orange tan shade in pics. Not too bad really, not per your standard English made and issued wartime boot but quite acceptable for a Dominion made private purchase boot. I suspect the tanning process had something to do with it, it doesn't look dyed to me.

Shape is quite good I think, once they are on they look per normal boots. They have a nice "sharkfin" profile toe, not boxy like Bedggoods. Laid flat they look a bit cowboy bootish, but this is purely because they are flat. This is NOT apparent when worn.

The buckle is bogus. Nuff said. I will be replacing them soon as I find a suitable... er... replacement.

Fit is superb, I know they are bespoke on the Motorcowboy website, but I punted on these and they fit like a glove. And the price was absolutley right. Would I but them at full price from Motorcowboy? Probably not, not now the RM's are lurking in the shadows, but they are great boots nonetheless. If you can turn up second hand ones then I would recommend them.

Steve
DSCF5585.jpg

DSCF5586.jpg

Pics from the sale page;

RbHttpHandlere.jpg

RbHttpHandler.jpg

RbHttpHandlerr.jpg

Stormpaw

New in Town
I just purchased a pair of reproduction 1936 RAF Flying Boots from SM Wholesale (which I believe are the exact same boot offered by WPG). I thought I would post my thoughts about them for you gentlemen.

First off, let me say I am returning these boots because they are too small. I wear an American size 11EE (wide). Generally, I can get a good fit with size 11.5D (many companies don't offer EE). However, since these are not offered in half sizes I choose the 11 thinking the fleece would make up the difference. Unfortunately, that was a mistake (besides smashing the fleece defeats the purpose of thick insulation).

I ordered from SMW instead of WPG because they offered the boots in brown (and actually had them in stock). My plan is to use them as riding boots for my motorcycle (and probably a lot more just because).

They aren't perfect replicas, but I think they look pretty good.

IMG_0652%255B1%255D.JPG

The sole is leather. I will probably have a cobbler add a rubber half sole since I plan to wear them on my motorcycle.

IMG_0641%255B1%255D.JPG

The fleece is a light tan color on the brown boots. The tag was a nice surprise. Now I just need it to say 12 instead.

IMG_0639%255B1%255D.JPG

The fleece in the top of this boot isn't quite as nice. You can see a small bald spot in the back.

IMG_0654%255B1%255D.JPG

This little buckle appears to be stamped steel. I don't care for it (it looks and feels wrong to me). I may look into finding a replacement, but since it is stitched in, it won't be easy (maybe a double-sided watch buckle would work).

IMG_0656%255B1%255D.JPG

Overall I am happy with how they look. It is still to tight, though.

IMG_0643%255B1%255D.JPG

The tops, however, are quite loose (and I have fairly large calves). I will probably add a hole or two to the strap (it only has 5) to help cinch them down a bit.

IMG_0647%255B1%255D.JPG

Like I said, I am pretty happy with them. The leather is fairly thick, but very soft. I would love to have more exact reproductions, but at least I won't feel to bad abusing these a bit. I hope someone finds this helpful.

Regards,
Stormpaw

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo