Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For Fountain Pens: Ink Blotters

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I am noticing ink blotters now. Rocker blotters, and small advertising cards. Anyone have any to share? And what is the proper way to use them?

Blotters

Hi Scott!

This is a neat side subject, blotters are used to absorb any excess ink not absorbed by the paper. It is a function of the absorbancy of the paper, the inks ability to be absorbed and the wetness of your pens writing. Some paper may have coatings or contain chemicals that slow the absorbtion of the ink. The blotter is very absorbant and is used to blot up the excess, and should your pen drop a drop of ink you can use the blotter to get that too. You use them to keep from SMUDGING the ink.

Some of the on line shops have blotters, and blotting paper. I have the little rocker blotter made by J. Herbin, the ink guys and like it at my desk. It gets used every once in a while but it is perfect for what it does.

At one time, a "desk set" with all of the writing accessories included a blotter, and again ebay will have some fine vintage sets from your desk.

Blotters were often came as business cards especially for pen shops and as advertising for other businesses back when fountain pens were the rule. Sometimes on Ebay you can find some. I have a few tucked away someplace in my stuff from a friends company, he found them stored or hidden away and gave them to me.

According to friends the first Melita coffee filters were made of blotter paper!

If you go to a local pen show you can soimetimes find them and may get a new business card that is actually a blotter. The Fountain Pen Shop in Monrovia's business card is on blotter paper.;)

panamag8or

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
Hi Scott!

This is a neat side subject, blotters are used to absorb any excess ink not absorbed by the paper. It is a function of the absorbancy of the paper, the inks ability to be absorbed and the wetness of your pens writing. Some paper may have coatings or contain chemicals that slow the absorbtion of the ink. The blotter is very absorbant and is used to blot up the excess, and should your pen drop a drop of ink you can use the blotter to get that too. You use them to keep from SMUDGING the ink.

Some of the on line shops have blotters, and blotting paper. I have the little rocker blotter made by J. Herbin, the ink guys and like it at my desk. It gets used every once in a while but it is perfect for what it does.

At one time, a "desk set" with all of the writing accessories included a blotter, and again ebay will have some fine vintage sets from your desk.

Blotters were often came as business cards especially for pen shops and as advertising for other businesses back when fountain pens were the rule. Sometimes on Ebay you can find some. I have a few tucked away someplace in my stuff from a friends company, he found them stored or hidden away and gave them to me.

According to friends the first Melita coffee filters were made of blotter paper!

If you go to a local pen show you can soimetimes find them and may get a new business card that is actually a blotter. The Fountain Pen Shop in Monrovia's business card is on blotter paper.;)

Richard Binder's business card is also on blotter paper. He is a great pen guy. He built my Sheaffer from parts I sold him.

My Grandfather owned an office supply store, and I have found quite a few samples of blotter paper. Pin-up girls, calendars, public service announcements, etc... I have yet to find a rocker amongst his things, but I am looking, along with hunting up all his vintage shaving goodies.

I saw a desk set with rocker at the antique mall the other day, but didn't have a spare $60 :mad:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou