Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For the seamstresses out there...

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Elaina said:
50.jpg

PRECIOUS!! ME WANTIE!!

LD

Nashoba

One Too Many
Elaina I just bought the SAME patterns!!!! lol. Also when I got there I found that Vogue patterns were on sale for 3.98!!!!! I jumped all over that! I got my limit of 5 from simplicty. Unfortunately they only had 3 of the 8 that I wanted from Vogue. I hate it when that happens. I wish there was another Hancock around but the next closest one is 30 miles away and I'm just not up to driving that far for a pattern right now. These are the Vogue ones I snagged
V2885.jpg

V2876.jpg

No if I can just go through my mound of fabric to figure out what to make it from. That and which one to wear to my husband's re-enlistment ceremony next month....
Nash

Elaina

One Too Many
Instant wardrobe

OOO I don't usually look at vouge because they're often out of the budget.

I'll have to write those down and pick them up. Those are cool.

I got most of the Simplicity ones last month, the 40's pants were out when I went to get it. Which sucks because I have the PERFECT material for them. I got it for $1/yd and I got 2 extra yards for free because they had 7 bolts of the stuff. Powder steel blue rayon/spandex (sounds bad, yes.) but it's got 15% stretch, silky looking, wears like iron. Making this dress in short sleeves:

dress.jpg

Pants of the above and that jacket or another one.
untitled.jpg

In the blue, which is about the same color as the blue I'm using. It's an off the wall periwinkle...technically it's a pastel steel grey. And the cream colored shirt from above to go with it, or I may find another shirt from my vintage patterns and make it in white. I also have a vintage 30's cotton in that color blue with pink and purple florals that is about to be a princess seam shirt, I'll make to go along with it. Either way, I'm using the extra material. I wanted 4 yds, got a little over 6. And it's 65" wide.

Elaina

Nashoba

One Too Many
Oh that will look fabulous! I got that bottom pattern yesterday too! lol. I want to make the vogue suit out of an olive green like it shows in the picture but I've yet to find the right fabric. I have a kind of mint green with red, yellow, orangie asian flower motif that's a vintage rayon. I'm dying to do something with it but I only have a little over 2 yards so it's been a challenge. It would make a fabulous dress, with red trim I just have to find the right pattern. That's the problem with a lot of my vintage fabrics I only have a couple of yards. sigh. I need more fabric :) I can't ever have enough!
I do still have 6 yards of a vintage velvet in a deep wine color that I want to do something special with. I'm just not sure if I should save it for an evening gown or make something else...as a result it's been sitting there for years now...Please post when you finish those I'd love to see what it looks like in the steeley color!
Nash

Nashoba said:
Elaina I just bought the SAME patterns!!!! lol. Also when I got there I found that Vogue patterns were on sale for 3.98!!!!! I jumped all over that! I got my limit of 5 from simplicty. Unfortunately they only had 3 of the 8 that I wanted from Vogue. I hate it when that happens. I wish there was another Hancock around but the next closest one is 30 miles away and I'm just not up to driving that far for a pattern right now. These are the Vogue ones I snagged
V2885.jpg

V2876.jpg

No if I can just go through my mound of fabric to figure out what to make it from. That and which one to wear to my husband's re-enlistment ceremony next month....
Nash

I got those 2 Simplicity's 2 weeks ago but missed the last one.

Are the Vogue's on sale at Hancock right now??

Vanessa

One Too Many
*How long have you been sewing?
- Actual clothing? A litle over 3 years.

*How did you learn to sew?
- In the beginning, trial & error. (My poor first sewing machine). Then I took a basic sewing class in college.

*What was the first project you made that you remember?
- First project was an early 1870's bustle gown.

*Do you have a favorite thing to sew?
- Late Victorian gowns. . .they can be a trial, but they're wonderful in the end.

*What is your favorite step in the sewing process?
- Putting on the outfit for the first time when complete.

*What is your least favorite thing?
- RUFFLING!

*Do you have a favorite brand of patterns?
- WWII era anything if it's printed.

*What era do you like sewing best?
- Tie between late Victorian and 40's.

*Do you use vintage patterns? How do you prepare/use them?
- Yes, all the time. I always trace off every pattern first, either onto muslin or butcher paper. I want to have these patterns forever and in the best condition possible. I have been accused in the past *coughLaurencough* of being a stickler on this. :D

*How do you finish your hems/seam allowances?
- Depends on the era, the fabric and if I have a serger available. Vintage rayon, cottons, non-sheer - I will usually just pink. Most Victorians I try to serge or bind the edges with bias for a clean finish.

*Do you sew for other people or just yourself? Why?
- Both, now. I do, of course, prefer to sew for myself since I know what I want and if something goes wrong, I can creatively fix it. Plus, I know how to quickly alter things to fit me; for others, I need to be more accurate and cleaner in the presentation.

*What's your favorite type of fabric to sew?
- I'm turning into a fabric snob. I love vintage rayons and silks.

*What are your favorite trims?
- Sadly, I love ruffles. I mean, I HATE ruffling, but I love ruffles. For vintage repro stuff - rick rack!

*Do you use a dress form? Which brand?
- Yes. I have a Uniquely You, which is the foam one that you can modify the cover to your measurements. Let me tell you, dress forms are the bee knees. The fitting process is a dream now.

*What brand is your sewing machine? Would you reccomend it to others?
- It's a basic Kenmore model that I received as a gift back before I started doing the heavy duty sewing. I'm probably going to set it up as a work horse doing buttonholes & ruffling and pick up a nicer (non-clanking) model in the next year.

*And words of wisdom to share with those starting out?
- Cover up mistakes with trim. Works every time.

Nashoba

One Too Many
CherryRed said:
I got those 2 Simplicity's 2 weeks ago but missed the last one.

Are the Vogue's on sale at Hancock right now??

Yep they're on sale until the 1st so tomorrow. I didn't know they were on sale too I thought it was just the simplicity, so when I saw the vogue too I jumped on it. Vogue doesn't go on sale very often and they're usually out of my price range for patterns.
Nash

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
Off and on for about 2 years

At home fiddling with my machine, reading patterns and going to home ec. Also, I read a lot of books and articles.

A free hand christmas stocking.

Neck Pillows because they are easy and fast. Purses too. And I like pants.

The actual Sewing.

Having to adjust patterns (Im still learning to)

Simplicity because of their style, and Vogue because of their vintage line.

I'm not sure yet.

I havent yet, but I am hoping to.

Right now, I fold over and under the hems and topstitch, the seams I pink or serge, but Im trying to learn other ways.

Other people and myself. I dont have much money and this is how I give gifts occassionally. I try to sew clothes for myself because mine suck.

Twill, denim. Thick stuff because its easy to work with.

Piping.

Nope, not yet.

Kenmore, and definitely. I love it. I have two actually. And a Kenmore serger.

You will have to adjust patterns or alter clothes no matter your body size (unless you are the 5% of people who are shaped like the wolf dress form), so read up on it and get to it ;)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
What I find interesting in this thread and with the questions is now many of us dont actually care for the sewing process. We simply see it as a means to an end. Intersting...:rolleyes:

LD

MissMissy

One of the Regulars
*How long have you been sewing? 12 years
*How did you learn to sew? Mostly self taught
*What was the first project you made that you remember? Boxer shorts in Home Ec class in 7th grade
*Do you have a favorite thing to sew? Anything with Polka Dots!
*What is your favorite step in the sewing process? Figuring out the puzzle
*What is your least favorite thing? ripping seams if I screw up
*Do you have a favorite brand of patterns? vogue
*What era do you like sewing best? 50s
*Do you use vintage patterns? How do you prepare/use them? Yes, sometimes I trace a copy of the pattern if it is too fragile
*How do you finish your hems/seam allowances? I have a serger, but I don't always use it
*Do you sew for other people or just yourself? Why? Just myself and family
*What's your favorite type of fabric to sew? Polka Dots! I guess cotton, I don't like slippery fabric
*What are your favorite trims? Buttons, love fancy little buttons!
*Do you use a dress form? Which brand? no dress form:(
*What brand is your sewing machine? Would you reccomend it to others?I have a Brother right now, I am looking to replace.
*And words of wisdom to share with those starting out? Practice, practice, practice. I am thinking about taking some classes to help me improve.

Elaina

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
What I find interesting in this thread and with the questions is now many of us don't actually care for the sewing process. We simply see it as a means to an end. Intersting...:rolleyes:

LD

I don't mind sewing, but the whole process is a creative one for me. I largely don't by fabric or patterns to match, I have a ton of patterns, a photographic memory (enough I can tell you what 95% of my patterns look like) and I get fabric I like, and sometimes I buy for the pattern, sometimes the pattern is bought for the fabric I have. Most of the time I like a pattern or a fabric and I buy it.

Typically for me, I wait until the patterns on on sale and buy them then. I only buy the main 3 when they are on sale, occasionally I get a Vogue I HAVE to have. I also wait until they are $1, not the $2 they've been recently. I buy fabric as I find it, then the process begins. I do not use a pattern as is most of the time, often I hate the sleeves on McCall's, and I prefer Simplicity so they get switched. Butterick's waistbands twist on me more then not, and McCall's don't so those get switched. Simplicity's darts never fit right, so I tend to dart by Butterick...you get the idea. Often I look at my design book, pick and choose pieces from all different patterns to get the look of what I've drawn, and sew. I also dress with costumes, but those usually need some switching or adjustment to make them look less like a costume. There are even times I redraft whole parts of patterns to make it look like what I want them to look like. Rarely, I draft the whole pattern from scratch, but not all that frequently. Once in a blue moon of Sundays I'll drape a pattern.

Making a garment, even using a treadle, takes me less then 2 days to complete, even coming to it dry (meaning I sit and design what I want, rather then look at patterns), having to draft more then 50% of the patterns and actually sewing. The sewing process is such a small part of it, that I don't think about it. Unless it's really complicated, with a lot of details, that time is under 6 hours. And then you get the treadle sucking you in: it's so soothing, the tik-tik of the machine and the rocking that you scarcely think of it being work. I usually make an outfit a week, and spend less then 2 days actually at the machine (which holds a place of honor in my living room. My machine even has a name. Usually used in conjunction with the kid and cat "Hey! Get away from Mike!")

To me, I suppose, the whole process is a means to an end, but I enjoy it generally. I more enjoy comparing the finished piece to the drawing I've done: it's a competition with myself. Did it look like the drawing? Did I add all the details? Do I like the garment or the picture better? What on the drawing doesn't translate well? I add notes, add the patterns I used (if any), techniques, etc. to the page, and file it.

Elaina

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Here are mine....

*How long have you been sewing? Hmm, about 28 years-- at times a ton and at other times verrrrry little

*How did you learn to sew? My mother taught me how to hand stitch-- after that she pointed me to the machine and let me go... so mostly self taught. I took some intense sessions on drafting 19th century pieces from a wonderful dressmaker in Gettysburg as well.

*What was the first project you made that you remember? A pin cushion shaped like a hat

*Do you have a favorite thing to sew? clothes for myself :) I am really enjoying my vintage patterns.
I've tried to do some quilting and find it wayyy to tedious

*What is your favorite step in the sewing process? when its together enough to try on. Then I often get too giddy to do all that hum-drum final touch ups-- I'm trying to be better with making sure every detail is done before wearing something out-- like seam finishing...

*What is your least favorite thing? cutting out patterns. My hubby just bought me a black and decker electric shears for my bday, so maybe that will help!

*Do you have a favorite brand of patterns? I love the old Hollywood patterns with the movie stars depicted!

*What era do you like sewing best? early 40s

*Do you use vintage patterns? How do you prepare/use them? I do. I use them just as I would any other. If they are frail I will trace out a copy.

*How do you finish your hems/seam allowances? Hems with hem tape and seams I zig-zag over.

*Do you sew for other people or just yourself? Why? At different points in my live I have sewn quite a bit for others-- now I sew almost totally for myself. I have done a few wedding gowns and bridal parties, but have never been a true pro. I do it mostly in that regard as gifts (also do wedding cakes!) I did 3 flower girl dresses last year-- my daughter being one.

*What's your favorite type of fabric to sew? hmmm, that's a hard one-- namely anything that feels good running past my fingers and has a good drape.

*What are your favorite trims? trims I've done mostly tend to be self-trims-- rouching etc

*Do you use a dress form? Which brand? I use a hideous old, no-name that I got when I was a teen-- seriously want to try a duct-tape one soon.

*What brand is your sewing machine? Would you reccomend it to others? I have a high end Brother-- I love it! It does embrodiery patterns and can pull things off the web-- I have no idea how to do any of it yet unfortunately

*And words of wisdom to share with those starting out? Patience and keep a seam ripper handy-- even old hands need do-overs. Measure and cut accurately-- take time your time. Try to find a dedicated space to work so you don't feel rushed.

Honey Doll

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Honey doll, those are excellent suggestions for new sewers!

It's been really fun reading everyone's responses! It's amazing how many of us sew on this board, and it's so cool to see what everyone's likes/dislikes/things they do differently are. :)

Snookie

Practically Family
13 years

My Girl Scout leader and my mom. Got more experience in costume shops, and fashion school taught me patternmaking.

A floppy sunflower hat in 7th grade. I think it was lined. I still remember how frustrating it was trying to ease two circles together.

Skirts are my favorite because they're fast.

Sewing up the side seams -- I like seeing the garment take shape.

Finishing details.

1939-1944 Simplicity

1939-1944. Sometimes I'll make an earlier piece. I don't make anything modern, because it's never cost/time effective for me.

I pretty much only use vintage patterns. (I still buy all the modern retro and costume patterns though!:eusa_doh:) For my mockups, I work from originals unless it's really fragile. Then I trace off the pattern to make fitting adjustments. I'm too impatient to trace the original at the beginning.

I serge everything before I start sewing, then sew like normal. I like linings and french seams, but I don't make much that require them.

Myself and a little for my husband. I've been asked to make things for people in the past, but I didn't have enough time. These days, I'd say yes.

Anything with a nice drape or pattern -- something to keep me interested in the fabric.

I like topstitching. My new sewing machine has decorative stitches and I'm having a lot of fun with them.

No form. I'm not as inclined to drape, so I just want one for fittings. I'm thinking about getting the Uniquely You form that Vanessa has, but I'll probably have a go at the duct tape form again (never got around to stuffing the last one).

My wonderful WONDERFUL husband bought me a new sewing machine for my birthday last July. I am now the proud owner of a Husqvarna Viking Platinum 735. It can handle a great variety of fabrics, and I'm loving the decorative stitches and the buttonhole foot. Before getting it, I thought really carefully about what features I wanted, and tried to get the best in those areas (rather than a machine that can do everything, and nothing very well.) The store I bought it from gives free machine classes for life, too.

If a project gets frustrating, put it down and come back later. It'll go better when you come back. And if you're starting to use vintage patterns, go to your library and get the Complete How-To Sew books (like Vogue and Reader's Digest). They have more detailed instructions than the patterns.

decodoll

Practically Family
About 28 years

My mom. I come from a big sewing family on my mom's side. All the women are mad seamstresses and fabric hoarders! :D

A little handstitched bag..I think.

hmmm..not really. I like making all kinds of things.

The actual sewing up. When you actually start seeing everything come together.

The cutting out. Honey Doll, I got a pair of the Black and Decker electric scissors a few months ago, and adore them!!!! Makes life so much easier!

Hollywood

late 30's/early 40's

Yes. I trace them onto tracing paper. Have a big 4 foot roll.

Hand stitch 99.9% of my hems, and use the overcast stitch and foot on my machine to finish seam allowances.

Some of each. Most of what I make for others are hats.

I'm with you Lauren! Dupioni silk is a dream to work with. Followed by 100% cotton. Favourite to wear though is rayon crepe, not as much fun to work with however.

I don't really use a lot of trim. I do like piping though.

Yes, well...I have one anyway. A Uniquely You.Never really get much opportunity to use it with 30's/40's things cause they won't fit over her huge shoulders. It was a dream to have with my last project though...Renaissance peasant costume.

High-end Brother. Although, not as high-end as Honey Doll's from the sounds of it. ;) And yes, I really like it.

Practice makes perfect. Start out with projects you can finish quickly. And don't forget to press every seam at each step. It really makes all the difference in the world to the finished project!!

anna_newman

New in Town
*How long have you been sewing? since I was 5

*How did you learn to sew? with my mom--she made almost all my clothes until I was in junior high

*What was the first project you made that you remember? one of those cookie cutter looking stuffed animals (simplicity?) that end up with narrow frustrating floppy necks. I think I made the camel.

*Do you have a favorite thing to sew? I love to sew by hand actually, mending is a kind of therapy

*What is your favorite step in the sewing process? pressing open the seams after sewing--ta duh! one step closer

*What is your least favorite thing? cutting out--I hate pinning that darn tissue

*Do you have a favorite brand of patterns? vogue

*What era do you like sewing best? no favorite

*Do you use vintage patterns? How do you prepare/use them? I used to draft patterns for costumes from measurements, but lately Ive been using vintage patterns because I want more fitted day to day clothing.

*How do you finish your hems/seam allowances? mostly by hand for hems and with pinking shears for other raw edges (even though I have a serger)

*Do you sew for other people or just yourself? Why? I stopped sewing for other people after one too many fairytale wedding gigs. just say no!

*What's your favorite type of fabric to sew? wool

*What are your favorite trims? soutache

*Do you use a dress form? Which brand? I have a couple squishy forms (uniquely you?) and several wolf forms

*What brand is your sewing machine? Would you reccomend it to others? I have a treadle singer, a 1950s singer, a 60s kenmore, a baby lock serger and a baby blindstitch (which I still havent mastered--anyone out there who can help???) I like the kenmore best--its a total work horse.

*And words of wisdom to share with those starting out? its all about the ironing--if you iron a fold where you are going to sew before you pin it, the seams come out so much better. took me forever to realize this simple trick.

I love reading everyones responses--what a great thread, lauren. thanks!

Shimmy Sally

Ooooh fun thread to read!

Since I was a kid. Started sewing seriously as an adult. Started sewing professionally around 1994 or so

I’m mostly self-taught, but picked up some early stitching tricks from my Mother. Then learned a bit in a junior high co-ed home economics class. I learned the majority of my advanced skills in college from GeorgeAnne Fimbres.

I think I made doll clothes when I was little.

I love to make men's suits.

I like lining up the fabric on the cutting board so that everything will match up.

Altering tricky waistbands.

I own a lot of old McCall's and vintage Vogue, but can't say I have a favorite.

I like the shirred 40s style dresses, when I'm sewing for myself.

Yes, I usually make copies so I won't destroy them! It makes me so sad when people take a musty "virgin" pattern, cut it up, poke pins in it, etc. I see them as artifacts (haha)

I cheat, I often use a serger to seal the edges so they won't fray.

I used to sew for others because I enjoy it and need to make a living. It was nice to work from home, but I like having a real day job too.

Any kind of crepe and raw silk.

I like trims in general. I'm experimenting with some metallic copper rickarack at the moment.

Not any longer. I wish I knew how to do draping.

*What brand is your sewing machine? Would you recommend it to others?
I have a few! The best is Simplicity, the worst is a flimsy Brother (which I am giving away if anyone wants it)

*Any words of wisdom to share with those starting out?
Don't even start sewing unless you like geometry, are creative, and patient. Sewing is not for the lazy. Sewing for others is not for the _itchy.

olive bleu

One Too Many
*How long have you been sewing? oh about 30 years
*How did you learn to sew?my patient aunt barbie
*What was the first project you made that you remember?a dresser scarf for my mother for an easter present. my auntie also taught me to do emroidery.which i adore.
*Do you have a favorite thing to sew? nighties.
*What is your favorite step in the sewing process?pressing out the seams.I spend so much time pressing out a seam all lovely and then standing back & gazing at it.
*What is your least favorite thing?the prep. all the cutting, pinning, etc.
*Do you have a favorite brand of patterns?not really.I guess i am partial to vogue
*What era do you like sewing best?probably 50's. but i don't make 50's much anymore, because i don't really wear it.
*Do you use vintage patterns? How do you prepare/use them?sometimes, i always copy them first though
*How do you finish your hems/seam allowances? depends on the project. i will often french seam something like a skirt, because it's not too hard, but if it has a lot of small pieces or complicated construction, i will just pink.I'm lazy really, and will only do waht i must.
*Do you sew for other people or just yourself? Why?I have sewn a lot for other people, only as gifts, not for money, and everytime i swear i will never do it again.If it is a gift, i like it to be a surprise so i pick the syle, the fabric, etc.and they never seem as grateful as i think they ought to be, there's always something.i made a lovely skirt for my mother last year and she thought the style made her hips look big. she wanted me to "fix" it.But after i put that much work into something, i don't have the strength to take it apart & start over.So from now on... i will only sew for me.I think people who don't sew just cannot appreciate all that work,
*What's your favorite type of fabric to sew? either cotton or brocades.
*What are your favorite trims? not sure.i like ribbon...
*Do you use a dress form? Which brand?not yet, but i am moving soon to a bigger house wher i can have my sewing stuff set up permantly & that will be the first thing i get.any advice?
*What brand is your sewing machine? Would you reccomend it to others? a singer something or other.I inherited it from my mother-in-law who died last year. before that i had another 1970's singer that i swore at a lot.i love the new one. i think the key is just to have one that runs well.i don't care about fancy stitches, if it can sew a straight line without clogging up & bunching I am a happy woman
*And words of wisdom to share with those starting out?Don't be too hard on yourself.It really is a lot of work. and Don't, and I mean, DON"T start that dress the day before the party!!

Shimmy Sally

part I hate

Another step I hate is putting the first petticoat layer on the yoke of a crinoline. Any helpful tips would be appreciated.
We all seem to dislike different stages, too bad we can't pass our projects along assembly-line style. I love hand sewing and finishing touches.

:eek:fftopic:
I had a brush with costuming greatness yesterday. I got to handle Emmy award-winning Randall Design created wardrobe, worn by celebrities on "Dancing with the Stars" and "Ballroom Boot Camp". It was interesting to see the construction of the current highest-end of dance gowns. I was more excited about it than I expected to be.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ormbingley