Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For Wearing 'Golden Era' Vintage, Are Men Socially Castigated More than Women?

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I don't know. I've seen some statements in some "mens" magazines such as "one pair of feet, one pair of shoes". Apparently, if you own more than a couple pair of shoes, you are too finicky and particular to be a "real" man and if you "dress" up you are too concerned about your look to be considered manly (with a certain assumption about your masculinity blurring between the lines). I don't agree, but that's the vibe I get.

I'm kind of amazed by that. You would think in this consumer culture they would push people (men and women) to buy as much stuff as possible.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Yes, but you see, "shopping is girly." For a generation which crows righteously from the rooftops about how it's made cheap gender stereotyping a thing of the past, there certainly doesn't seem to be any current shortage of it.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Yes, but you see, "shopping is girly."

Yep, you'd think that this prejudiced view would have changed by now, but it hasn't.

Back in the Golden Era, wives tended to buy --or at least have the right of final approval on-- ties, shirts, cufflinks, and sometimes even hats for their husbands. At night, some wives would select, coordinate and lay out their husbands' clothes for "the mister" to put on the next morning.

I suppose this still happens somewhere today, but probably less so. Husbands are increasingly expected to 'fend for themselves'.

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I think that the differences between mens' let's call it contemporary 'business' suits and mens' vintage suits is considerably less noticeable the differences between womens' styles and fashions of today and the past. That's probably why I have seen very little in the way of negative commentary when I wear a suit. Also, combine this with the fact that I'm not a kid anymore. In fact, I go out of my way to set up my outfits in a vintage style although I have little in the way of real vintage clothing. I have contemporary suits that I combine with a contrasting high-buttoned vest and a bow tie, wingtip shoes, and a fedora. I buy my suits with as high a button closure as I can find, in emulation of a vintage style.

If anything, I get all kinds of compliments when I wear this type, now my standard, outfit. I don't know any women who dress vintage, other than maybe some vintage women. And no one criticizes them.

Last edited:
Let me ask you folks here this about modern dress shoes (for men). I absolutely hate the long, square-toed fashion that has taken over 85% of all shoes today. An example below. I don't get it. I can adjust to lots of things, but I can't do this style. What are your thoughts here on this?
gucci-leather-shoes-5a.jpg

MissMittens

One Too Many
It's like this...........

I can go to the most conservative places in my band's regalia, looking like the undead, with "panda eyes", chains, and drummer-boy jacket - no one blinks.

If I wore a 30's suit, I'd be stared at, pointed at, and probably have more than a few names hurled in my direction. It's odd, but society is conditioned to accept visually shocking appearances and to reject the more classier look [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic