Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Form Over Function

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am having an A-1/Cossack style button-up jacket made with a leather shawl collar – something like this:

10010358_766634316700195_4761285253284708450_o.jpg

I like the look of the two front patch pockets and I do not own a leather jacket with similar pockets (e.g., no A-2). On the other hand, I will never, ever use the patch pockets. The patch pockets will be strictly for aesthetics, and to make the jacket look like an A-1/Cossack. From a functional perspective, I prefer side slash pockets, and I will use side pockets. I also generally prefer the cleaner lines attendant to side pockets.

An A-1/Cossack style jacket with side pockets in place of patch pockets has been done before. For example, this is Mister Freedom’s Campus jacket:

252014110201a.jpg

Mister Freedom describes the jacket as “an original pattern inspired by a Mrs. Cossack, and 1930′s sportswear type light leather jackets.”

The side pockets are definitely a deviation from the traditional A-1/Cossack style. On the other hand, they are more functional (for those, like me, who do not use patch pockets). I can’t help but think that the side pockets somehow alter the essential quality of the jacket. On the other hand, why do I care if it is more functional (and cleaner looking).

The jacket maker can do either pocket. Form or function? I am leaning towards retaining the patch pockets even though I will not use them, and choosing form over function. In fact, as I typed this and stared at the photos side by side, I became more drawn to the patch pockets aesthetic.

Thoughts?

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I spend about 99% of my jacket wearing time admiring the jacket in the mirror, rather than being outside in the elements (yes, I'd like to change that). So for me aesthetics is more important than functionality, and I know I'd feel kind of regretful not going for the option that looked better.
It's definitely a trade off, and quite a complex one that can drive you mad if you overanalyze it. But just follow your gut instinct.
But IMO I think you'll be a lot happier with a jacket that looks better, because truly, I don't think we spend a considerable amount of time with our hands in our jacket pockets worthy enough to settle for a look we prefer less.
But in a way knowing you're wearing a functional jacket is a kind joy in itself. I've felt that way with some previous articles of clothing.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I should like this pattern but in practice I can never get behind this look; the collar looks a bit decorative to my eye and the little cargo pockets always seem a bit dainty. And then having nine buttons on the front of my jacket seems excessive. Well actually it's 13 buttons if you count the cuffs. Maybe part of the problem is that the ones I've seen are all new and I think this somewhat fussy design would benefit enormously from being seriously broken in.

zhz

Practically Family
Actually, I like both. The patch pocket is functional in another way, or in my way, I found it much better to store things (mobile, wallet etc) than slash pocket. I dont know how much of you here actually use patch pockets on your A2 jacket, but I do and I quite like it. On the other hand, the slash pocket is good for your hand.

schitzo

Suspended
I used to think those kind of pockets weren't for me either, but then I got a Dakota and owning that changed my mind. Over time I found those deep button up pockets to be really useful and grew to appreciate them. In my experience, sometimes something that you think based on photos is undesirable, in real life turns out to be the opposite; in my case zip sleeves are another example of this.

Also i think the point above about a varsity jacket is good. For me, those pockets are a fundamental part of this jacket and if you can't abide them then maybe you should be looking at a different model

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I would take a look at some original ads for jackets of this era. There was much more variation in these late '20s-early '30s button fronts than reproductions of reproductions would have you believe. Handwarmers on this jacket style were nothing unusual.

I spend about 99% of my jacket wearing time admiring the jacket in the mirror, rather than being outside in the elements (yes, I'd like to change that). So for me aesthetics is more important than functionality, and I know I'd feel kind of regretful not going for the option that looked better.
It's definitely a trade off, and quite a complex one that can drive you mad if you overanalyze it. But just follow your gut instinct.
But IMO I think you'll be a lot happier with a jacket that looks better, because truly, I don't think we spend a considerable amount of time with our hands in our jacket pockets worthy enough to settle for a look we prefer less.
But in a way knowing you're wearing a functional jacket is a kind joy in itself. I've felt that way with some previous articles of clothing.

What you've said is very true and deserves a discussion of its own.

Superfluous

Keen observation. Thanks.

Go for both.

My concern is that a 2-way pocket will bulge over time and not retain the trim, clean look of a standard patch pocket. Any experience?

I would take a look at some original ads for jackets of this era. There was much more variation in these late '20s-early '30s button fronts than reproductions of reproductions would have you believe. Handwarmers on this jacket style were nothing unusual.

I looked but could not find any photos. Can you supply a link?

tropicalbob

I have a LHB that has slash pockets behind the patch pockets and find that they don't bulge at all when the pockets are empty, even after carrying all sorts of things in them. I use the jacket largely for travel and find all the pockets very useful. I even use the zipped chest pocket to keep tickets, subway tokens, and things like that handy and safe.

Ishmael

Practically Family
No experience with 2 way pockets. But my experience with horsehide leads me to believe there's nothing to worry about it.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I have a LHB that has slash pockets behind the patch pockets and find that they don't bulge at all when the pockets are empty, even after carrying all sorts of things in them. I use the jacket largely for travel and find all the pockets very useful. I even use the zipped chest pocket to keep tickets, subway tokens, and things like that handy and safe.

+1

apba1166

A-List Customer
I find patch pockets useful. But not w/buttons. you don't need buttons w/patch pockets--you will never use them, they'll fall off even quicker than the other buttons. I have a 1940s jacket with small invisible stud closures. They are perfect. Keep the flaps from curling, flapping, and unclasp with ease unlike the bigger studs etc....

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I suppose they draw your eye to the mid-section, the thing I like about patch pockets is that you know exactly if you've got your wallet or phone on you!

Superfluous

No interior pocket -- don't like em. I am fine with my phone etc in my jeans.

Never thought of eliminating the pocket button . . . I like that idea . . . a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran