Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formal Wear Primer

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
At the Cicada Club on July 3.

Tux.jpg

MisterGrey

Practically Family
You can see a small photo of it at the far right ("3 o'clock") side of this link: http://www.amazondrygoods.com/collars/product.html

Some other collar styles are still in stock, though they're no longer being manufactured.

Ahhh, lucky. I tried in vain to order from them some time ago only to find out about their stopping production. The person with whom I spoke said they were trying to find a new supplier or something along those lines. This would've been sometime in late '09- early '10.

Rathdown

Practically Family
It's not the collars that are problematical, but the shirts! No one, it seems, can provide a proper, stiff bosom, button up the back, evening shirt.

Rathdown

Practically Family
Until the mid-1980s one could obtain stiff-bosom evening shirts (that buttoned up the back) from Brooks Brothers; these shirts were made in the USA (I think by the Ilion Shirt Co. of Troy, NY or the Troy Shirt Co, of Ilion, NY-- I can't recall which) and cost in the region of $100.

I've no idea if Charvet would be of any use or not; generally I find their shirts to be no better than Budd or any of the other British bespoke shirt makers, while their prices are risible.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I've no idea if Charvet would be of any use or not; generally I find their shirts to be no better than Budd or any of the other British bespoke shirt makers, while their prices are risible.
I would also recomend Alexander Kabbaz (who made backless formal shirts for Leonard Bernstein) but if Charvet's prices scare you............................

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Probably the Ilion Shirt Co of Troy. Troy NY was where the original detachable collar was invented, and it was the detachable collar capitol of the world for the better part of a century. If you like abandoned factories, then Troy will have many charms for you. (Actually, most of those old factories are now demolished.)

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Intersting; I've never seen a back-buttoning shirt, although I used to haunt the vintage clothing shops regularl. I'd like to see a picture of one if anyone has one?

Back-buttoning (collarless) evening shirts were never popular in Britain, but were a hit in the United States from the late 1920s through the '40s. "Arrow" was the biggest maker. There are two on eBay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/IE-vintage-20s-...pt=Vintage_Men_s_Clothing&hash=item415b577f81

http://cgi.ebay.com/ID-vintage-1920...pt=Vintage_Men_s_Clothing&hash=item3369381a0f

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I really like back-buttoning bib front evening shirts. They are much less of as hassle to get a good home press in than bib fronts with front closures.

Yes. Furthermore, the front remains 'sealed' with no risk of gaps. Also, the shirt studs can be inserted in advance, 'small end' first -- without denting the starched surface around the bib front's buttonholes.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari