Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formal Wear Primer

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Very nice work, Sproily!

And thanks to all for the feedback. I picked up a one button peak lapel tux, and I've read that before black tie was given its own accessories, one could wear a full dress shirt and white tie studs... I may have interpreted this incorrectly, though. I'm not sure if this is in fact a faux pas, especially since the tux dates to the 40's, after the turn down collar was popularized. The one button peak lapel, I take it, is the most formal of black tie, does this mean white tie studs and a full dress shirt can work?

The set also came with a waistcoat, I'll get a picture up tomorrow now that I have Photobucket; but it's a shawl lapel, SB, belted full back, and patterned vest. It's low cut, and definitely not modern, but I'm not sure that it came with, or can be worn with, the other two pieces... And there are three self-faced buttons. I'm guessing this is not correct to wear, especially if I do wear a full dress shirt?

Thanks again for the input.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I think it loses something with the lack of placket and studs.
Many of my semi-formal shirts have a covered placket. It was at Charvet where I first learned of them and I quickly became a fan. Of course it is after all a matter of personal preference.

Hap Hapablap

One of the Regulars
This is my white tie kit as it stands at the moment:

sdc16409edit.jpg

The shoes aren't perfect but, to be honest, I can't justify buying a new pair of shoes just for the very few opportunities I'll get to wear this.

Amazing, as usual. Please put me in your will.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I know, I know, I know! :p lol

The best place for me to take the picture was on a nail in my living room that usually holds a frame. The wood hangars I normally have my suits on have too large of a curve for the shoulders to hang on the nail, so I switched it onto a wire hanger for the shots; after which it went back on its wood hanger and safely into the allotted space in my closet.

draws

Practically Family
Thanks guys, so I'm guessing I'm not de-formalizing the tux by wearing the waistcoat? Or might it still be wiser to find a white waistcoat?

Fluteplayer07, I have a similar 30s perioid tux and, although it might be ok to wear a white waistcoat with this tux, I do believe that this black waistcoat is quite nice as is. In order to gain a 30s/40s look, if that is your goal, I would suggest looking for a collarless stiff front bib tux shirt and a tall stand up wing collar. Add to that a self tie black bow tie and black studs and you have the finished look. The riguere for white waistcoat is the full white tie ensemble. This outfit would stand on its own merits as is with the above enhancements. Very nice start.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Waistcoats like your black one were sold with detachable buttons already inserted, but these buttons tended to be cheap 'prop' ones made of molded and painted bakelite or celluloid. The vest's purchaser was expected to replace the cheap buttons with waistcoat stud buttons from a formal stud set, usually made of onyx and silver (or gold or platinum).

Never wear white mother-of-pearl studs with ('20s-'30s era) black tie. Wear onyx, or smoky mother-of-pearl

Last edited:

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I see now that the waistcoat buttons are affixed by a small metal bar, the 'hairclip' piece. So I remove these, and replace them with three waistcoat studs...

Thanks for all the help everyone!

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Do waistcoats have to fasten with studs? I have a black 30s one which has four horn buttons and I find it looks OK providing it is worn with a dinner jacket which has horn buttons rather than self faced buttons.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Do waistcoats have to fasten with studs? I have a black 30s one which has four horn buttons ....

Your black vintage waistcoat is probably British. Is it made of the same wool fabric (probably barathea wool) as the dinner jacket and trousers? This was very typical of British-made waistcoats of the era, whereas American-made vests tended to be made of figured silk or rayon. (Fluteplayer's is of rayon.)

And yes ... British black waistcoats tended to have black horn, bakelite or corozo buttons permanently affixed, while American silk or rayon vests had detachable buttons.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari