Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formal Wear Primer

Dr Kilroy

One of the Regulars
I don't think it really matters as you won't be able to see the socks. But if you really wish to be anal about it then yes, they should match the cloth or be black or grey to match the trousers.

This is not about formalwear actually, but it is about socks, too: what colour socks could be worn with these shoes?

BDS04.jpg

BDS06.jpg

Best regards, Dr

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Black with black trousers, white with white trousers.

That's the American way to do it. In the UK it's also acceptable to coordinate the socks with the shoes (in which case Dr Kilroy could wear black or white socks). Personally I prefer the American way of doing it though as I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing brown socks with half of my outfits.

Phileas Fogg

New in Town
I do always wear white socks whenever I go for a practice session with the cricket team but aside from this they do not find much place in my schedule.
White socks should be worn only for sports.
The only exception I find reasonable is white silk hose with breeches but so far the last time I wore them I was 14 and dressed up for a "Treasure Island" Carnival party. Nowadays breeches and silk stockings are reserved either for some Court functions or the liveried staff of some gentlemen's clubs.
Yours,

Phileas Fogg

markniklas

New in Town
very nice formal wear dressing you shared...

its really very nice. You shared detail useful information with us in this place...
Hope every one like this and get benefit from these post.... Studs and cuff-links and collar button are very nice...

Rathdown

Practically Family
Interestingly enough, that was not the most grevious outfit I saw that evening. The worst was a gentleman wearing powder blue polyester pants a grey flannel jacket with elbow patches, and a well worn poly-cotton pleated front shirt with a miniscule wing collar with a clip on red bow-tie. He was wearing brown loafers with a red canvas belt. Said flannel jacket was festooned with about 10 lapel pins. I tried desparately to find an eye wash station to relieve me of the discomfort of having beheld such a monstrous outfit. Then pity took over as I realized that the gentleman was either color blind or a widower, as no man's wife would permit her husband to depart the house in such disarray.

You would be surprised at the latent cruelty festering deep within the breast of some wives. Compared to Lorena Bobbit, sending one's husband out thus attired would be a cut far, far more cruel.

And frankly, I'm surprised the fella's dog didn't raise a fuss and try to prevent him leaving the house.

Rathdown

Practically Family
This is not about formalwear actually, but it is about socks, too: what colour socks could be worn with these shoes?

BDS04.jpg

BDS06.jpg

Best regards, Dr
Some sort of garish novelty socks, I suppose. Rather than worry about the socks, the first thing I'd do is replace the black laces with white laces-- there is far too much B&W contrast going on, giving the shoes a distinctly "vaudeville" appearance. I don't think they'd look good with white socks unless you were also wearing white trousers. With black trousers I'd stick with black socks to avoid the look of a 17 year old boy in his first rented tux. Of the two remaining options one would be to match your socks to your tie; the other would be to take up tap dancing.

Rathdown

Practically Family
So, you are against white socks? Even if they are not these gym socks, but rather more like court hosiery? :)

Best regards, Dr
Court hosiery is really probably best worn with court dress. White socks are acceptable in the summer months if worn with white shoes; that said, the socks should probably be a fine spun cotton or wool, not the heavier crew socks one associates with (ugh) athletic endeavors. Bowling socks are right out. Sheer men's hosiery, while appropriate for formal evening wear, always looks a tad odd during the day. Generally, in the South at least, where the summers can be brutally hot, men often dispense with socks entirely during the day.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Generally, in the South at least, where the summers can be brutally hot, men often dispense with socks entirely during the day.
I've spent some time in the South and I can't ever remember a gent wearing a suit sans socks. And BTW, wearing socks and undershirts in extreme heat actually provides a cooling effect (as incongruous as it sounds) as the cotton layer serves to wick moisture away from the skin. It also keeps your shoes/suit coat from becoming drenched. I learned that from my Summers in Houston.......:eusa_doh:

Phileas Fogg

New in Town
Where I do get my "ukases" and "fatwas" against white socks? Well, from my father who got them from my grandfather. Sorry, no secret handbook of the perfect gentleman nor fashionable website.
I agree that perhaps if you have nothing better you could wear white socks in the way described by Rathdown, still my choice would be a light grey, tan or green.
Of course I have also seen, over the years, my share, mostly with moderately sporty dress in Mediterranean countries, of well-off gentlemen wearing no socks and loafers (even though I was cautioned against such a thing) so perhaps I should ask where one gets this information against the wearing of no socks at all.
Just joking, but both things do happen (white socks and no socks) probably it is more a matter of taste than anything else, still both do not look terribly good.
Yours,

Phileas Fogg

Last edited:

Rathdown

Practically Family
Does anyone know where to purchase a Marcella waistcoat with a full back? I cant stand the backless ones.

Edward
Three or four buttons? You might try Costello & Son in Ilford, just north of London. They are military tailors and costumers, and can supply just about anything you may require. Check 'em out on Google...

Charlie Huang

Practically Family

BDS04.jpg

BDS06.jpg

Best regards, Dr

Those shoes are Fr. Bown's and he claims they are appropriate for white tie. They are not and I don't know where he got his information from. White spats or galoshes with white tie interferes with the line of the bottom half of the body and make you look like you're wearing white socks and draws attention down rather than having the main focus on the top half of the body which the white shirt and waistcoat, etc does do. For white tie, the socks should be black or midnight blue to match the ensemble.

If you wear white spats with morning dress then it ought to be worn with black or grey socks but I can't see why white cannot be worn (though if you sit down and cross your legs and it shows the socks then it might look a bit harsh). Like I said, if it is mostly or entirely covered the importance of it diminishes slightly.

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Does anyone know where to purchase a Marcella waistcoat with a full back? I cant stand the backless ones.

Edward

I think you can only have them vintage or by having one made. All RTW and hired marcella waistcoats are of the same old boring model: SB, shawl lapel with square ends, 3 studs, two pointed hem, backless, etc and I always advocate getting a special one in a different pattern (different shape lapel, DB, different hem, etc) made up so it doesn't look like you've hired it.

markniklas

New in Town
very nice formal wear dressing you shared...

its really very nice. You shared detail useful information with us in this place...
Hope every one like this and get benefit from these post.... Studs and cuff-links and collar button are very nice...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy