Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formal Wear Primer

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The Madison Ave. Brooks store is the 44th St. store. If you don't believe me, enter at 44th, walk straight ahead a little ways, then turn right towards a double door in the center of the main floor. Walk thru this and presto, you're on Madison.

The 5th & 53rd store has a smaller and more popular selection of merchandise, so you'd not be likely to see such a fogy old froufrou as a grosgrain tie. Try Paul Stuart. Back across to Madison and down to 45th.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I ended up buying a regular butterfly grosgrain bowtie at Paul Stuart. The batwing was too big and the narrow 60's style bowtie doesn't go with my '39 wide lapelled tux.
Their window displays are pretty neat right now- old Hollywood studio with glamour shots of all the stars...I think I saw Rita Hayworth, Fred Astaire, James Stewart, and Cary Grant. George Clooney was in the bunch, too....but he doesn't matter. :p
You'd think that it'd be easier to find a grosgrain bowtie...I tried the BB on 5th, Hickey Freeman next door, Jos Bank, Thomas Pink (whose bowties were hideously GIGANTIC), and Saks. Nothing that really hit the spot.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
n10002560_33996080_1143.jpg

My old family friend looked really glamourous- almost 50's Grace Kelly-style.

Aquia33

One of the Regulars
Flower color

shindeco said:
Addendum on the flowers: in the 30s, carnations were the flower of choice. White was the most correct and red was a daring alternative. .

I seem to remember from high school proms etc. that white carnations indicated that your mother had passed away and red/pink indicated she was alive.

vonwotan

Practically Family
Mr. Rover,
I stopped in to Pink the other day and see what you mean. It is unfortunate what has happened to all of their ties. Once upon a time, when they were selling on Jermyn Street the four in hand ties were shorter, narrower and more my size as were the bows. One of my favourite bows is from pink - it must be half the size of what they carry now!

Mr. Rover said:
I ended up buying a regular butterfly grosgrain bowtie at Paul Stuart. The batwing was too big and the narrow 60's style bowtie doesn't go with my '39 wide lapelled tux.
Their window displays are pretty neat right now- old Hollywood studio with glamour shots of all the stars...I think I saw Rita Hayworth, Fred Astaire, James Stewart, and Cary Grant. George Clooney was in the bunch, too....but he doesn't matter. :p
You'd think that it'd be easier to find a grosgrain bowtie...I tried the BB on 5th, Hickey Freeman next door, Jos Bank, Thomas Pink (whose bowties were hideously GIGANTIC), and Saks. Nothing that really hit the spot.

DELTA0321

New in Town
Buttons on DJ cuffs

Would any of the folks here comment on buttons for dinner jacket sleeves?
I've found myself w/ a new (never tailored) Dinner Jacket & the sleeve buttons were supplied in a small pouch in the pocket. I know that normal suits can have - as a somewhat higher-end option - buttonholes which are cut through & buttons sewn on so they actually are functional. Is there an equivalent for formal wear? The illustrations I've seen seem to show rather loosely sewn on buttons that are non-functional.

BTW. this is not any attempt to be vintage styled of any era, just a decent looking dinner jacket.

Many thanks for any help.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
DELTA0321 said:
Would any of the folks here comment on buttons for dinner jacket sleeves?
I've found myself w/ a new (never tailored) Dinner Jacket & the sleeve buttons were supplied in a small pouch in the pocket. I know that normal suits can have - as a somewhat higher-end option - buttonholes which are cut through & buttons sewn on so they actually are functional. Is there an equivalent for formal wear? The illustrations I've seen seem to show rather loosely sewn on buttons that are non-functional.

BTW. this is not any attempt to be vintage styled of any era, just a decent looking dinner jacket.

Many thanks for any help.

As far as I know, it's fine to have functional sleeve buttonholes on any jacket, dinner jackets included. If you want them, go ahead and get them cut.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Orgetorix said:
As far as I know, it's fine to have functional sleeve buttonholes on any jacket, dinner jackets included. If you want them, go ahead and get them cut.

Yes, Orgetorix is certainly correct. It would also be prudent to do a fitting after the tailor has adjusted the sleeve length but before the buttons have been cut. Once they're cut, they're cut.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I think it might be worth a trip to get the sleeves shortened....my lack of a rear-end creates an unsightly ripple in the back where my butt would've been. I didn't catch that the first time around.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I've tried the jacket on again with shirt with sleeves that are slightly longer (they go slightly past where my thumb meets my wrist) and it does show the appropriate amount of cuff. I suppose I'll get a plain white french cuff shirt made with slightly longer sleeves for prom. I usually prefer to wear my shirts and suits with sleeves that err on the shorter side, so that's probably why this jacket covers up the sleeve.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
The Bespoke Tailor English Cut is talking about those shoulders right now, Baron. It seems the Prince is very hard to fit.

"A very nice gentleman indeed, but one we all struggled to keep a coat up on his neck."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner