Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fortune & Glory Coalition {Adventurebilt}

Steve

Practically Family
I see there's finally a club that I can join.

Me and my AB:

After watching The Maltese Falcon the other day, I did this one:

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I don't think anyone can say the Indy hat isn't golden era (Except me... just kidding).

The only thing off in my mind is the dimentional brim they used for the film. shorter on the sides and longer in front and back. That isn't something I ave seen on a vintage hat. The Indy hat is beautiful... I took alot of time tracking down companies that could make me one with the right high crown and the dimentional brim... currently I like the standard same size all around like Bogart Cagney and all the rest wore back in the 30's and 40's.

I like this ribbon

IMG_1000.jpg

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
As I understand it, the "dimensional brim" was rare indeed, but it was done on occasion. I've been told that it was more commonly seen in England than in America...That's just heresay, though. It's only about an eighth of an inch, and if the brim were 2 3/4" all the way around, I personally wouldn't think it would matter much. I also have read that for the movie they would pick different hats with slightly different brim widths to present a certain dramatic appearance under specific lighting conditions!

No, I haven't seen anyone here say that the Indy hat is "historically incorrect", but I have seen a version of that angle used before somewhere (don't ask me where and when, my memory ain't that good...).

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Fatdutchman said:
No, I haven't seen anyone here say that the Indy hat is "historically incorrect", but I have seen a version of that angle used before somewhere (don't ask me where and when, my memory ain't that good...).

Hmm let's see what happens.

Statement for scientific research.

The Indiana Jones hat is historically incorrect. The stars didn't wear dimentional brims in the 1930's

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
OK...I'm going to risk getting into trouble here. Before I say this, let it be known that Steve makes a fine hat, he is a friend, and a fellow hatter respected by me and most that I know. That being said,
The "Indy" hat is definitely NOT historically correct. Dutchman, in your arguement you state that an "old" hat was taken and modified to fit the film. So, what you are saying is that they ( with full artistic license) took a historically correct hat, cut the dimentional brim ( which I had never seen in the thousands of vintage hats going through my hands), changed the ribbon and modified the pinch. At that point it became NOT historically correct. Please understand that I don't build "Indy hats, my friend Fedora builds the best so why compete, and I respect the hat for what it is, but it is a film hat, period. It's a real stretch to call it historically acurate. I spent almost 20 years in that field and have a pretty terrific research library and in no article, ad, paper have I ever seen this hat, until 1986. I will gladly change my mind if you can show me proof in print that it existed.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Part of the Pattern

Many things in the Indy films did not exist at the time of the movies (at least not in the forms they were used). The overall look was merely to be suggestive of the period, and I think it all came off rather well. This sort of debate about historical accuracy in Indy hats is not unlike the COW discussions on being "film accurate". I submit this question; Does it matter? If the style is nice, and calls to mind a great age in hats, does it really need to be historically accurate, or even "film accurate"? I submit my answer; No. You just have to like the hat. :)
NB

griffer

Practically Family
Matt Deckard said:
Hmm let's see what happens.

Statement for scientific research.

The Indiana Jones hat is historically incorrect. The stars didn't wear dimentional brims in the 1930's

His archeology wasn't historically accurate, so why should his hat be?

/not a swipe, love the movies
/i get all my best stories from moving pictures

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Great picture Dixon...
Gents, I don't think that it has to be accurate historically. It's a great hat, period. What I object to, if anything, is trying to make it something that it isn't out of enthusiasm. The Poet was around a long time and was in fact in the 30's era, just not in the screen form. The dimentional brim, although existed (there really aren't any new ideas, just remakes) it was never marketed as a feature and I have never seen a true 30's hat with this brim. The side twist also was something that a hatter would be run out of town over, let alone celebrated.
It's OK that it's a great hat..that should be enough.

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
Get rid of the dimensional brim, and make it, say 2 3/4" all the way around and what do you have? Is the brim the only real argument against the "historical accuracy" of the hat?

I'm not concerned with "the Turn" or anything like that. (as I understand it, "the Turn" was done out of necessity to fit all the hats to Ford's head. Supposedly, when he was fitted for the first hat, he had a lot of hair...think 1979 and Han Solo! They made all the hats the same size after the fitting. Later, when it came time to film, he got his hair cut shorter. Bam, the hats didn't fit. There are varying theories as to exactly WHAT they did to tighten the hats up...tightening the ribbon, sewing a little pleat in all the hats, etc...). I know the "turn" is kinda goofy. Interesting and neat, yes, but still goofy!

Just look at the basic hat (before all the mashing and turning and brim-side-trimming), and is there anything "wrong" with it?[huh]

(I guess when you make the brim the same all the way around and leave the hat "straight", and not turned, you end up with...well, you end up with "the Poet"! :D )

I CANNOT wear a hat with "the turn" (I've tried). Drives me nuts. I cannot stand anything asymetrical...

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Get rid of the dimensional brim, and make it, say 2 3/4" all the way around and what do you have? Is the brim the only real argument against the "historical accuracy" of the hat?

Isn't this enough Dutchman? In science I thought we were talking about absolutes, not "except if". Either it is accurate, or it is not. I really don't care either way because I view it as a great film hat, nothing more.

What I find more interesting is that it's important to some that it BE historically accurate. Liberties are taken artistically in every film. Were you aware that in Titanic there were clothing items & dresses that were dated 1914, when the ship sunk in 1912? It didn't detract from the story one iota yet I know it's there as well as many others. Heck, we sold some of the hobble dresses worn in the film ( 1914) and Debra Scott won the academy award for her costuming. To my knowledge she never claimed everything to be "accurate" because it doesn't matter. I view the IJ series in that same light. It's a great series of terrific films with reasonable historical accuracy, but even if it didn't, why should we care. It's only a film.

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
Well, see, there you go.;) I think we think the same, even if it doesn't seem like it!

Sure, nobody's gonna show up somewhere in their smashed-up brown fedora, twisted around on their heads and say that this is how they were typically worn in the '30's!

I realize the perspective of someone like you who makes hats that if you change one detail, you've changed the entire hat. I'm the same way with flintlock rifles! Every detail must be just so in order to be "right". I'm just looking at the basic overall design of the hat, that's all.;)

Oh, and I'll be joining up in the Coalition a few months from now, when mine comes in! No turns nor mashed up crown for me!

HLSheppard

Familiar Face
Art Fawcett said:
Isn't this enough Dutchman? In science I thought we were talking about absolutes, not "except if". Either it is accurate, or it is not. I really don't care either way because I view it as a great film hat, nothing more.

What I find more interesting is that it's important to some that it BE historically accurate. Liberties are taken artistically in every film. Were you aware that in Titanic there were clothing items & dresses that were dated 1914, when the ship sunk in 1912? It didn't detract from the story one iota yet I know it's there as well as many others. Heck, we sold some of the hobble dresses worn in the film ( 1914) and Debra Scott won the academy award for her costuming. To my knowledge she never claimed everything to be "accurate" because it doesn't matter. I view the IJ series in that same light. It's a great series of terrific films with reasonable historical accuracy, but even if it didn't, why should we care. It's only a film.

Let's not even mention "Indy's" gas mask bag that didn't yet exist in the year when the movie was set... :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran