Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Forum Upgrade -- POST ANY ISSUES HERE

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
Nathan, I've just had a quick look, 3 minor issues I can see (on Win IE6 at work):

1. Grey backgrounds round icons such as 'report post', 'reply', 'reply with quote'. I assume these images are png, I know IE doesn't handle transparencies for these file correctly. I think there is a Javascript fix for this, or you could use gifs if you don't need variable transparency?

2. I was browsing the earlier pages of this thread in Default Style, but when I clicked the Last button, it switched to Blackend style.

3. Part of your profile appears truncated, .ie. this line "I deal information as a commodity. Some call me a pusher, but I'm really just an enabler. If you nee "

Your list of functional improvements looks great, not had time to test it yet though.

I don't know the first thing about bulletin software, but I am a web developer so know my way round html, css, javascript etc. I also deal with UI, usability, graphics etc.

PM me if you want help in any of these areas, I'd like to contribute to the community here.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
it's odd that a forum obsessed and dedicated to things of the past would want to change it's image to reflect the latest and trendiest. Maybe I was just use to the old look and ways to move around, but I can't say as I'm a fan of this new look and navigation.

It's not that we wanted to change the image to "reflect the latest and trendiest". There was no way for us to import the old vBulletin 3.x style over to version 4.0. It was an impossibility. As I have said previously in this very thread, we're going to work to get it looking similar to the old site, at least for those aspects that worked well on the old site.

I am not crazy on these new graphics. It is too formal and the grey charcoal backgound is horrible and unfriendly. I am not against change bu this is not positive in a friendly way.

Have you tried the "Default" style? If the grey background it too hard on your eyes, perhaps try the black on white? I'm going to work on getting a white text/black background style up today.

Oh boy...

In the message editing window I can barely read the text as I type. I know this is due to the fact that I have altered some system colors to fit my preferred color scheme but would it be possible to change the colors in the editing window to not use the system default but some predefined color values?

The background in the thread view sometimes doesn't get rendered correctly; some space seems to be left blank as you can see below.

The fact that some icons don't work anymore is sad to say the least. The new ones don't look to hot either.

Gotta say I'm not too impressed with this latest software update. :mad: (<<-- This icon fails to capture my frustration!!! :eusa_doh:)

Another this I just noticed: images that exceed certainy boundaries are simply displayed in a smaller size. In a forum that is in so many ways dependend on images this is really nasty...

Another little glitch (note the message count):

All that said: Thanks for all the time and effort you put tinto this! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap

1. What browser are you running? The editing window color should be white by default. If it's not, you can click the button on the top right above the editing window that looks like it has a small, black letter 'A' and a larger blue letter 'A', and that will change the color of the editing window from black to white.

2. What browser/OS are you running?

3. As I have said earlier in this thread, many of the icons need to change. Especially the post icons and the smileys.

4. I'll check on the deal with the image resizing.

5. Re: the message count glitch, what resolution are you running? This stylesheet isn't set to a fixed width, so some things will compress if you're running a really low resolution display.

6. Thanks for your support.

Hello
I just selected a link from an email that should have taken me to jeans in general attire and accoutrements instead I was taken to vintage weddings in the powder room.

Can you send the email in question to nathan.flowers@gmail.com ?

I like the new layout and stuff, but I have a problem with logging in.

I like being permanently logged into forums. It saves time and prevents frustration.

I can't seem to do that with FL now. Why? If I close the browser window or navigate away from the forum and come back later, I find I need to log in again, despite asking the site and my browser to remember me and keep me permanently logged in.

What's going on here? I never had this problem before.

Have you deleted your old cookies?

Hope the old smiley icons and the "practically family", etc designations return soon.
If you could tone down the orange would be a great plus. Or give the option to change font colors user by user? I'm not opposed to change and, believe me, I prefer modern looking websites but when it comes to the lounge... I like the old school vibe it had. Hope in the next few days things get reworked.
Your work is appreciated. Thanks very much for that. Did I mention the new smiley icons suck?

1. The orange will be toned down today. Previously it was sort of Yellow-Orange, and now it's more pure orange. I don't like it, and it's on the list of things I want to update.

2. Users can change the style to a white background with black text by selecting the "Default" theme on the bottom left of any page. Not the best solution, but it works in the short term if the grey/grey text is too abrasive for a user.

3. As I have said previously in the thread, the old smiley icons and the user ranks will be back.

4. Thanks for your support.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Nathan, I've just had a quick look, 3 minor issues I can see (on Win IE6 at work):

1. Grey backgrounds round icons such as 'report post', 'reply', 'reply with quote'. I assume these images are png, I know IE doesn't handle transparencies for these file correctly. I think there is a Javascript fix for this, or you could use gifs if you don't need variable transparency?

2. I was browsing the earlier pages of this thread in Default Style, but when I clicked the Last button, it switched to Blackend style.

3. Part of your profile appears truncated, .ie. this line "I deal information as a commodity. Some call me a pusher, but I'm really just an enabler. If you nee "

Your list of functional improvements looks great, not had time to test it yet though.

I don't know the first thing about bulletin software, but I am a web developer so know my way round html, css, javascript etc. I also deal with UI, usability, graphics etc.

PM me if you want help in any of these areas, I'd like to contribute to the community here.

Methuselah, thanks for your constructive reply.

1. Yes, I would bet it's that IE 6 doesn't handle transparency of .png files. I'm honestly not sure if we want to start hacking things to support a browser that a mere 1.64% of our visitors are using (according to our Google Analytics statistics).

2. Most of the problems I've found regarding the board flip-flopping between styles had to do with my cookie. Once I deleted the problem cookie, it started working fine again.

3. Yes, either long profile biographies were truncated in the move, or it's a setting in the vbulletin control panel. I'll look into it.

4. I might be sending you some PMs in the future! Thanks for your support.

Edward

Bartender
Loving the range of greys with the odd splash of goldy-orange.... very easy on the eye ( the grey-on-grey text / background much more so than the old white on black, actually), and kinda reminds me of Batman.... lol

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Wow, what a difference between blackend and default! I was one of the ones that wanted the black on white, and it is sooo nice to look at, but its so different! Not a complaint, just an observation. Nathan, thank you for all you do. I think we tend to forget that real people put in a lot of hours to make this, and many other mb's, run as well as they do.

Edward

Bartender
I've been running a Google search for threads on B15s. (Using Google out of habit, as under the old forum setup it was a much more accurate search facility). Google returns relevant results, but the links bring me to completely different threads (mostly in the Powder Room, oddly enough). Not sure whether that's something that just needs to settle down?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I have to say, I like the improved speed. Very noticeable. That's an improvement. As far as the aesthetics of the new format, I was perfectly happy with the old one. This seems a little more "modern" in style, not necessarily a plus, but I'll see how I like it.
My one serious issue is type size. If I set my font size so that the text of the posts is legible (I have very middle aged vision, and small fonts make me nuts) then the heading are all too large, and those letters start OVERLAPPING. Upper lines over lap lower ones, or get cut off.
I'm still exploring, tho. Maybe I'll find solutions as I dig.

Dave E

One of the Regulars
Heck, I think the new look is fine, albeit needing a bit of tweaking (names related to post count, icons and the emoticons working), although I'm glad you've toned down the orange to something a bit softer and more golden. I've seen forum upgrades elsewhere that have gone far less smoothly, and I know they are amazingly fiddly things to get completed, so good work so far!

Oh, and if my experience is anything to go by, manually deleting all cookies associated with the Lounge and then logging in again does fix the issue with not staying logged in.

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
I like the upgrade so far.

I was wondering if the staff had had suggestions from members to visit the forum with Tapatalk

This is an app for iPhone and Android. It's more easy to browse forum than using Safari or Opera Mobile.

http://www.tapatalk.com/

Puzzicato

One Too Many
The Lounge still isn't bringing me breakfast in bed, so if you could see to that Nathan, it'd be great!

I like the new look. I don't use a lot of the functionality, so I don't know how it compares but so far I am happy! How does the multiple quote thing work?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I like the upgrade so far.

I was wondering if the staff had had suggestions from members to visit the forum with Tapatalk

This is an app for iPhone and Android. It's more easy to browse forum than using Safari or Opera Mobile.

http://www.tapatalk.com/

The Lounge still isn't bringing me breakfast in bed, so if you could see to that Nathan, it'd be great!

I like the new look. I don't use a lot of the functionality, so I don't know how it compares but so far I am happy! How does the multiple quote thing work?

I just now checked the white box at the upper right of these two posts, then chose "reply with quote" on the lower post and am now adding my 2c.
I'm learning also. :)

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab

THAT'S why my belly has been grumbly-wumbly this a.m..

I like the new look. The only problem I see (or don't see) is that the icons on the left make it a bit difficult to differetiate between what's been read, what hasn't, etc. Other than that, all's good! Thanks.

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
The login/notifications/profile/settings section is to the right of the banner image on full screen.
If I shrink the window down a bit, all these sections overlap each other making them illegible.
If I make the window really small, they then drop delow the banner and are legible again.

Can these sections be made to appear under the banner by default?

Just had a look at the css files for this: you seem to be using fixed font-sizes in your css, this prevents people from selecting different font sizes in IE

Icon legend, posting permissions and stickies are hard to read as the font colour is too close to the background colour.

EDIT: Just got back home, checked on IE8 & latest Firefox, all looks lovely :)
Different text sizes still don't work in IE8 though, obviously Firefox zoom gets round this issue.

Last edited:

PhilR

New in Town
New color combo and font sizes are more difficult to read, definitely a step backward for me. I used to be able to easily browse the site on my smart phone, with the new change that isn't an option anymore.

Suggestions - increase the font size for post listings on the individual forum home pages back to where they were. I'd rather have to scroll through fewer but bigger posting subjects than to have more on one page. Also, the light gray text on a slightly darker gray background is definitely geared more towards style instead of legibility. Which is more important? The color change can still work if the text is changed to white for better contrast. As of now, it's easier to read the time and date of the posting than it is to read the post itself. Not good.

Last edited:

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Although I realize it's not as big a deal as some of the other suggestions, I too miss the member descriptions (One Too Many, One of the Family, I'll Lock Up). I thought those were pretty cool. Any chance of having those back, or perhaps something similar?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
New color combo and font sizes are more difficult to read, definitely a step backward for me. I used to be able to easily view the site on my smart phone screen, that isn't an option anymore.

Until they tweak things, have you tried going down to the bottom left corner and toggling from the 'blackend' back to the 'default' style?

Its light backround with darker text and is quite easy for me to read on my iphone, so worth a try.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff