Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Found One!

jtrenalone

New in Town
Well, after some very generous replies to my "eBay search words" post, I found a hat:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280474137070&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Problem is, I have been so busy the last week, I have received the hat, but have not had a chance to look at it closely, or even put it on (I like to clean it up and wipe down the sweat band before wearing it).

From what I can glean from this board, it seems to be from the 50's-60's. I am hoping it is from this earlier era, for some reason I like the idea of having an older hat from during or before the 50's that is in good condition.

Anyway, thanks for the help. Maybe I'll post a picture of it on me to see if it fits my face/head shape.

My only worry is that I will see one that I like better a get into an addictive cycle! lol
Joel

jtrenalone

New in Town
Thanks for all the comments.

Part of my enjoyment is learning the history of items such as hats (I am a watchmaker and researching history of antique watches is a big part of my job), and this board has a lot of info. for hats. I really makes these items "come alive".

One item I have not found much info on (maybe there is not much to be found) is on union tags.

Here is a few images of the liner logo, and the union tag:
3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

From what I have gleaned, this tag began being used in 1934, but I have not found any info helping narrow down when this particular tag stopped being used.

So far I have received comments dating this hat between mid 60's to early 70's. I just wondered if this tag helps narrow down the year (at least the last year it may have been used).

Thanks again for all the comments. This is fun and interesting,
Joel

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
That's a nice hat, jtrenalone! Thanks for sharing the pics as well as the auction link. Rilico is a VERY well known fedora seller on ebay around these parts. I have two hats from him, and I know plenty of others around the Lounge do as well.

How long have you been a watchmaker, and how did you get into the profession?

jtrenalone

New in Town
Yeah, Rilico seems to be a good seller.

I have worked on watch on and off all my life, and have built up a small shop (mini-machine tools, lathes etc) and work on antique/vintage watches. I just really enjoy working on very small things (not so many people do). I am mostly self taught, with several mentors local and via email.

Anyway thanks for the comment,
Joel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff