Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Foyles War and flight jackets

Better Duck

New in Town
Have any of you seen the series called "Foyles War"? It is a very beautifully made series about a police inspector in Hastings at the time of the Battle of Britain. Here in Holland the third season series is being aired now. If you haven't seen it, lovers of this period should look out for this series!! Very good atmosphere, lots of attention to detail in every respect - except flight jackets. In the series Inspector Foyle has a son in the RAF, who flies Spitfires. Great. Then you look at the jacket he is wearing, and "my trousers fall to my ankles" as we say in Holland. A very poor excuse for an Irvin. Can't understand why that detail was missed by the producers or their advisers. Especially since they have two renowned replica-makers in their own country - ELC and Aero Leather.
Of course, as I see often stated on this forum, it's only us who notice this, while at the same time we see the relativity of our passion, but still...

Peter

J.B.Saxon

Familiar Face
Hi Peter, welcome on board! You sure will find here what you are looking for - I bet.

I am related to the movie buissness a little. My saddle partner and "co-pilot" is a guy who rents weapons and police stuff to german movie productions. By the way. Me and him can sometimes be seen on TV as cops or SWAT team members ;) - TATORT, I think, can be seen on dutch TV...
So I was able to get in touch with those movie people and their behavior.
They are spending lots of money for everything and on the other hand they are saving money where they can. Taking the wrong Irvin is just a point of view of them. "They are looking the same..." and "look, what I have found - these jackets are very cheap"...
Have you seen the movie "Tuskegee Airmen"? Same problem here - the B3s are not looking very good.
They don´t really know about nothing lol

Let´em fly

J.B.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
J.B.Saxon said:
Have you seen the movie "Tuskegee Airmen"? Same problem here - the B3s are not looking very good.
They don´t really know about nothing lol

Let´em fly

J.B.

Its similar with the B3s in the 1990 "Memphis Bell". The B3's are inferior repros. Why not buy from ELC or Aero? At least ELC are making the Irvins for the Dambusters remake!

Baggers

Practically Family
Baron Kurtz said:
Dambusters . . . remake? Say it ain't so.

bk

Yes, it is so. And brace yourself for who's producing...Peter Jackson. One of his VFX people from King Kong is slated to direct, last I heard.

Actually, I can't wait to see it, but I know there are people here who are not fans of Mr. Jackson.

Cheers!

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
CAN'T WAIT? - NOR I !

Baggers said:
Yes, it is so. And brace yourself for who's producing...Peter Jackson. One of his VFX people from King Kong is slated to direct, last I heard.

Actually, I can't wait to see it, but I know there are people here who are not fans of Mr. Jackson.

Cheers!

I agree totally Baggers - yes I know there are those who will say that the original is a classic etc etc but surely everyone should be glad that someone of Mr Jacksons abilities is on the job ? I hope he strives to make it historically accurate in all respects of course, but apart from that, the technological abilities of film makers these days with special effects etc should almost guarantee that this will be an outstanding movie - I hope so anyway :)

Colin

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I know I'll get shot down over Hastings for this...but....

Miss Honeysuckle Weeks just melts me!! But I was always a sucker for that English Rose, stiff upper lip type!! Plus, I do think Foyle carries off the 'look' of the early 40's very well.

Yes, I agree totally with Sis that we can poke holes in anything if we really go looking. But part of escapism and chilling out (preferably with a nice Shiraz) is suspending belief and just enjoying things for what they are (well that's what I do anyway [huh] ).

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I haven't seen this series but the WWII homefront background
always appeals. I can overlook wardrobe issues for a good script!

the best thing about Foyles War is the wardrobe of his leg-injured sidekick. Very nice, indeed. The wardrobe dept. must have had a pile of 30s/40s suits in just his size lying around. A very good wardrobe for that character.

Other than that, i'm on record as describing his - Kithcen's - acting (dry delivery? nope, that's just bad delivery) in very bad terms and i stick by it. I hate that show.

bk

dr greg

One Too Many
agatha

I'm a sucker for the english rose look as well, as my first wife would testify, anyway, I was watching the BBC's Miss Marple episode "4.50 to Paddington" last night , and one American character had a fab A2 that looked so real it might have been so. The costume dept on that series were on their game, a playboy type in another episode had an amazing aloha shirt that was period perfect (they had updated the dramas to the 50's).

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
dr greg said:
I'm a sucker for the english rose look as well, as my first wife would testify, anyway, I was watching the BBC's Miss Marple episode "4.50 to Paddington" last night , and one American character had a fab A2 that looked so real it might have been so. The costume dept on that series were on their game, a playboy type in another episode had an amazing aloha shirt that was period perfect (they had updated the dramas to the 50's).

It is good to know costume departments can get it right sometimes. It will be interesting to see how accurate the flight gear is in the Dambusters remake. I wonder how they will create the Lancasters as there are no modified ones in existence. CGI or models?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff