Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Freewheelers Mulholland Alternative

It could be because of the badge holder feature? Although not all Cals have that.

The Mulholland is undoubtedly a high quality jacket but I greatly prefer the overall look of Cals. Can't quite articulate why though... there's just a kind of straightforward coolness about them. I've never gotten that kind of draw with the Mulholland.
It’s the pattern (and the leather, frankly). The Mulholland has always looked off to me. Super trim sleeves, bulbous torso. IMO the jacket is a disaster and a lost in translation fail at attempting to recreate a jacket which it can never even remotely be equal to in any way. I will concede my bias against point and click internet shopping for something like this (all outerwear actually). It’s uninspired, somewhat mass produced (in limited quantity!), and ultimately boring.

It’s paramount to sourcing your jacket from Kohl’s, but it carries a higher price tag, giving the wearer an illusion of exclusivity and value.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It could be because of the badge holder feature? Although not all Cals have that.

The Mulholland is undoubtedly a high quality jacket but I greatly prefer the overall look of Cals. Can't quite articulate why though... there's just a kind of straightforward coolness about them. I've never gotten that kind of draw with the Mulholland.

Mine didn't have a badge holder, and if I got a new one I would specify no badge holder.

As Japanese takes on civi CHP jackets go, I really liked the one that Toys McCoy did. Much better proportions. I would take it over the Mulholland.

Blackadder

Seeing how quite a few people prefer the Mulholland and Mobster, I would agree that the badge holder and laces may be a turn off to them and those people are likely more attracted to small details besides the leather.
IMO it is possibly similar when people much rather go for a repro A-2 than the much cheaper 50s hh civilian version flight jacket.

Last edited:

Aloysius

Seeing how quite a few people prefer the Mulholland and Mobster, I would agree that the badge holder and laces may be a turn off to them and those people are likely more attracted to small details besides the leather.

I like small details and I own plenty of things from the Japanese repro makers but with few exceptions, the western fans who seek them out do so entirely because they’re 1) Japanese and 2) the brand names grant you clout in denim circles.

I guarantee you (because I’ve tested it, including the Mulholland) they usually can’t tell the difference between different jackets of the same category that we see as extremely different here.

Not saying OP is in this category but it’s the norm.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
If you really like the Mulholland, I would go one of 3 directions.

1. Get the closest thing you possibly can to it. That will not be any of the other Japanese makers. As someone who does actually like the Mulholland and owned 3 of them in the past, the other Japanese copies won't get the pattern the same. I'd get Regius or Field Leathers or Sheeley to make you a repro.

2. Get something sort of similar, but not the same. This is what I did. The Mulholland pattern, as good as it looks on some people, didn't end up suiting me when I lost weight. I now have a cal CHP that fits me far better and gives me the same general feel. Plus it's way cooler because it's vintage.

3. Be patient. These do pop up for sale on Yqhoo auctions sometimes and if you check consistently, you'll probably be able to get one.

Blackadder

I like small details and I own plenty of things from the Japanese repro makers but with few exceptions, the western fans who seek them out do so entirely because they’re 1) Japanese and 2) the brand names grant you clout in denim circles.

I guarantee you (because I’ve tested it, including the Mulholland) they usually can’t tell the difference between different jackets of the same category that we see as extremely different here.

Not saying OP is in this category but it’s the norm.
I am not so sure about that. If the hype is about brand and leather, the other FW models should have attracted as much interests as the Muholland or pretty close to it. Fact is there are much less "hype" about San Mateo, Centinela, La Brea, Speed Demon, Four Corners or better yet the ever more user-friendly CR style in a Speed Master. So I still think it has to do with the design. IMO if it is a hype about a brand, then almost every item from that brand is sought after much like Goyard.

Aloysius

I am not so sure about that. If the hype is about brand and leather, the other FW models should have attracted as much interests as the Muholland or pretty close to it. Fact is there are much less "hype" about San Mateo, Centinela, La Brea, Speed Demon, Four Corners or better yet the ever more user-friendly CR style in a Speed Master. So I still think it has to do with the design. IMO if it is a hype about a brand, then almost every item from that brand is sought after much like Goyard.

I'm pretty sure of it. The Mulholland is the go-to among FW jackets because it isn't as out there are some of the other designs yet it isn't a "middle aged white man jacket" which is the reputation cafe racers have. (All cafe racers are pretty ugly anyway so I can't blame them for this, even though I own one solely because of the leather it's made of lol.)

But the interest comes first and foremost from it being Freewheelers.

You are paying for the name brand mainly and trend factor. Those jackets are not very labor intensive nor they have they come with expensive NOS hardware. Personally, I am not a fan of their HH. However, many people in this forum do like those Japanese hides. LW does make a nice jacket with top of the line construction methods and hide. However, is not cheap. Lastly, I LOVE David Sheeley's jackets. His works is at the top of my list. Here is the link to one of his post. He makes a jacket that he describes as an upgraded Mulholland. https://www.vintageleatherjackets.o...ding-1930s-utility-jacket-builds.24539/page-2

Awesome jacket. The original it’s based on isn’t shabby either.

Blackadder

I agree, I don't think it would have been as popular here in the west if it was a Westride or Attractions. FW has more brand cachet.
The older more expensive Westride are slim cut clones of Langlitz that are made in USA. The cheaper ones have weird elongated pattern.
Attractions are good but very few leather jackets.
As to the leather, I would pick my FW over the LW any time.
IMG_3570.jpeg

IMG_3569.jpeg
IMG_3568.jpeg

Last edited:

lina

Practically Family
I have to say, as someone who doesn't wear denim or know very much at all about Japanese brands I think the Mulholland (and even more so the Mobster jacket) looks really cool. I can't afford one, but if I could I wouldn't mind owning it. But if you had asked me who made it I probably couldn't have told you. I also think they are different enough from vintage moto cop jackets (which I also like a lot) that one can legitimately like one of these new jackets more than a vintage.

Having said all that, I figure that the principle holds with jackets -- along with motorcycles, music, and sexual orientation -- that anyone's allowed to like whatever they like for whatever reason they like it. (Ethical exceptions notwithstanding!)

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Awesome jacket. The original it’s based on isn’t shabby either.

J. I just wondering, how many FW do you have? FW are nice but for the price is not worth it to me. I believe, makers like Scheeley Bros. and Johnsons have an excellent product for the price with out the hype. Out of principle, 2k for a jacket is not for me. All the people who love them, and pay over 2k, more power to them.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
It has a nicer look than a cal imo. And some of us don't want to walk around cop cosplaying. But it's also overhyped.

If you ride, those Al's and Cals are EXCELLENT in the protection category. The only only one that come close to ME are the Trojans. In part because they are built like a thank and are actually tools for the rider just like a Cal and Al's. I follow the golden rule set by my over 40 years of riding experience. Safety is paramount. This jackets will not protect you as a Dainese would. However, I feel safer using them than say, a top of the line westride. Those FW sure make you look cool on a bike. I wonder how they will perform in fall?

cbez

One Too Many
If you ride, those Al's and Cals are EXCELLENT in the protection category. The only only one that come close to ME are the Trojans. In part because they are built like a thank and are actually tools for the rider just like a Cal and Al's. I follow the golden rule set by my over 40 years of riding experience. Safety is paramount. This jackets will not protect you as a Dainese would. However, I feel safer using them than say, a top of the line westride. Those FW sure make you look cool on a bike. I wonder how they will perform in fall?
If we're going by performance, I only ride with ce protectors.

I think it's a minority that actually rides with their jackets either way.

Nacho

Practically Family

Bike crash ain’t no joke. That asphalt will eat through everything at high speed. Pretty much a grinding machine. You need that thickness of a Cal or Al to minimize all the damages. And that’s what they’re built for.

It would have been better if they have the studs in the back like the Sears, Windward, etc. so you slide on those instead of the leather. But they don’t build it like that. I guess that’s what the 3 loops with the snap are for besides using them for the belt.

Last edited:
J. I just wondering, how many FW do you have? FW are nice but for the price is not worth it to me. I believe, makers like Scheeley Bros. and Johnsons have an excellent product for the price with out the hype. Out of principle, 2k for a jacket is not for me. All the people who love them, and pay over 2k, more power to them.

No FW- don’t think they are made for my build. I much prefer the look of LW, and I know they will stand tall in a fall. I was saying Maverickson’s jacket was awesome.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
No FW- don’t think they are made for my build. I much prefer the look of LW, and I know they will stand tall in a fall. I was saying Maverickson’s jacket was awesome.
Maverickson's jacket is awesome. I agree with you. I was wondering if you had your hands on one of those FW? As much as I had my "troubles" with Stu, I still love his jackets. There is one of his jacket I must add to my list but I just can not get my self to pull the trigger on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner