Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

French/Double Cuff Shirt under a Sweater

Depending upon the stiffness of the shirt cuff you'll end up with a weirdly folded, bent and creased cuff (soft starching on the shirt cuff) or a very strange shaped sweater cuff (if shirt cuff is rigidly starched). I think the sweater looks best as it was intended - closely apposed to the wrist and conforming to the shape of the wrist, not the shirt cuff. For this reason, i typically avoid french cuffs with sweaters and opt for barrel.

If i would happen to wear french cuffs with a sweater (hasn't happened for quite, i don't a while think, due primarily to the difficulties mentioned above) i'd take out the links, probably.

bk

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I tend to put the sweater cuff (usually lightweight cotton or cashmere blends) under the fold of the double cuff and then sort of leave the excess fabric to drape over the shirt cuff a little. With a jacket on, nobody can tell.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Try #1.

]
fransk_manschette.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Mr. Rover said:
I tend to put the sweater cuff (usually lightweight cotton or cashmere blends) under the fold of the double cuff and then sort of leave the excess fabric to drape over the shirt cuff a little. With a jacket on, nobody can tell.
With a jacket on, I wear a sleeveless sweater and avoid the problem.

(I never can stand to wear more than 3 pairs of long sleeves, even on the coldest days.)

vonwotan

Practically Family
My preference is a waiscoat if I need the extra warmth / just feel like it or, less often, a cashmere vest. I limit my sweaters to a few that I really love and would hate to stretch them out at the wrists by pulling them over french cuffs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran