Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G-1 / M-422A USN Jacket Triubute Project Comes To Fruition

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Evening Gents,

The postman has been & gone & I've now taken ownership of my winter project.

It started last September when I finally admitted that neither my original 70's Star Sportwear G-1 (size 48) or my ELC M-422A (46) fitted properly.

The G-1 was perfect in every respect apart from the shoulders being a bit on the narrow side which got uncomfortable after a while (19").

The M-422A fitted well in the shoulders (22") but was too narrow across the chest (more so than the G-1).

It was suggested to me that I contact Wested Leathers in Kent with a view to having the Star Sportwear cloned / copied with shoulder sizing modifications (thank-you Howard at Bradley's Dry Cleaners / clothing restorers for the idea). I contacted Wested who were happy to accommodate & the plan began to take shape.

The decision was made to get Wested to provide the leather & know-how, & myself to source the zipper, collar mouton, knits, lining & buttons.

Thanks to MASH in Japan: the NOS G-1 zipper, knits & buttons & others for the mouton & lining.

The original plan was to have Wested pattern & build a G-1 styled jacket based on the Star Sportwear in goat skin (light, tough & quite water resistant). Not something high end but a jacket that didn't break the bank, was of good quality, fit & super wearable by me.

Things evolved (as they can) and I began to take a fancy to some M-422A features (i.e. pocket flap shape..thanks Steve S for the H&L Block pocket flap pattern & the H&L label) Project then turned into a USN tribute taking features from the G-1 / M-422A & a personal liking for red knits & rust mouton.

I visited Wested Leather twice for measurements & a calico toile fitting & left them the Sportswear G-1 jacket, zipper, knits etc (that M-25 motorway is a swine).

Brief came to fruition today, with the delivery of a light-weight made in UK Italian Goat-skin G-1 / M-422A type jacket (with parts from MASH & others). Fits a treat (same numbers as the Sportwear G-1 but 21.5" shoulders etc) :)

Thank-you Wested for a jacket that exceeded my expectations & hasn't left me poor :)

photo (6).JPG

photo (54).JPG
photo (81).JPG
photo (82).JPG
photo (83).JPG
photo (84).JPG

Last edited:

Cocker

Practically Family
BN, the fit looks spot on! The rust knits may be inacurate but, once again, they prove themselves to be a great pairing with dark leather. They are also neatly matching the rust collar.

Do you have any close up pictures of the leather?

bn1966

Thanks Cocker,

Will take a close up of the leather tomorrow, (shows similar character to the original jacket..though lacking a few years :)

Wested nailed the fit..tailored but just enough room to layer up with a sweat over a T-shirt.

A fun project overall..I'm more than happy (as is my bank account)

bn1966

Thank you Gentlemen,

Compared this jacket to the G-1 it was based on & must say I'm impressed with Wested's attention to detail as well as the quality of the stitching.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
My experience is a G-1 with a good fit is tough to attain, or at least has been for me. o_O

bn1966

My experience is a G-1 with a good fit is tough to attain, or at least has been for me. o_O

I've found the A-2 & A-1 to be easier beasts to get a decent fit on than the G-1. Shoulders are the killer for me & 19.5" on that Sportswear 48 wasn't cutting the mustard (so to speak). The Wested is 21.5" :)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
So it finally arrived BN :) ...looks fantastic, Wested have done a great job. I know I've said it before but I really think Wested have upped their game over the last couple of years, my Raiders jacket from them from October last year is simply superb, virtually faultless and in a lovely hide, and at a higher standard than my first jacket from them from a few years back.

That goatskin is going to look brilliant once it gets some creasing and moulding going on. You've got a winner there mate!

Technonut

Practically Family
VERY nice jacket! :) I haven't ordered from Wested for several years now, and the times I had before were 'hit-or-miss' regarding correct sizing, paid additional work not completed, etc.. Looking at your jacket indeed shows they must be upping their game. ;)

Interestingly, I am currently having an AN-J-3 made in seal Indian goat, and brick (red) rib-rack knits... :cool: Seeing yours gives me an idea of how nice it will look. :)

Stand By

One Too Many
Looks like a comfy jacket to me! The fit is just right for you and the red knits make it look sharp. I love the colour on the collar too!
Really nice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner