Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G-1 question..

Feraud

Bartender
Found a g1 at a local thrift shop.
How are the fur collars attached? My jacket does not have the collar and I do not see how it would be attached. There are no hooks or snaps apparent on the inside or outside of the leather collar.

Thanks

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Navy spec G-1s have non-removable mouton (dyed lamb) collars.
The top, mouton side of the collar is sewn directly to the goatskin underside.
G-1030207-5-W.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
Are some versions of the jacket available with removable mouton collars?
Here is the jacket I have. Would this ever have had such a collar?
DSC06249.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I think Cooper did a removable collar G-1 once, but otherwise, no, it's permanent or none.

I won't bore you with specs and such, but such a jacket was going to be issued in WW2 as AN-J-3. However, it was only sold privately, and very few of those.
01.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
Since when do specs bore us? ;)

Is it still a g1 w/no fur collar?

Here are a few more pics of the jacket.
DSC06257.jpg

DSC06260.jpg

This is the only label in the jacket.
DSC06250.jpg

A Collar Slipcover

I have seen some jackets that are along the basic style of these aviator jackets, where there is a regular leather collar and the sheepskin outer is like a collar 'slipcover' that can be put on and taken off as the weather or fashion dictates. May not be spec but it seemed convenient.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Spec 7823-E, which you have, is the current G-1 as used by the Navy since about 1980 - but with the permanent fur collar.

I think you have something of a rarity here. The Navy does not allow leather jackets without fur collars to be worn in uniform, but there are such things as surplus or contract overruns, which can sometimes be modified to a retailer order. And of course, now and then a jacket is customized.

Brill Bros. is considered a good name in G-1s, or at least it once was. Jacketheads tend to prefer the "C" or earlier models of spec 7823, as later orders cheaped out a little (ie: cowhide textured to resemble goatskin, instead of real goat).

Havana

One of the Regulars
That is an interesting find. Check the collar leather closely. It may have been modified. Does it match the color, texture, and aging of the rest of the coat? Look closely at the stitching around the collar, too. Is it the same as the rest of the jacket? How come I never find these things?

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I think that Fletch is correct. It is a Brill Brothers contract overrun jacket that had a leather collar installed by Brill. Notice that the tag lacks the DSA number that would normally be on a military-issued jacket. It also has a leather care tag which military jackets lack.

Brill Brothers was known to sell their overrun jackets on the civilian market. Sometimes they would simply ink out the DSA number with a magic marker in order to "de-mil" a jacket. Here's a mint D-series Brill that I bought for a friend some years ago. It has such a "civilianized" tag.

Dscn0198.jpg

Dscn0190.jpg

AF

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
kampkatz said:
Fascinating photos. I never saw a G-1 with epaulets.
They were added strictly for the AN-J-3, which was to be issued to the AAF in 1943 (but wasn't).

The Navy did order AN-J-3A, but it was substantially the 1941 M-422A, with the fur collar, no eps, and zip flap on the inside. Despite the "Army-Navy" tag, the Army got none of these, instead ordering the cloth/alpaca B-10.

jvillela

New in Town
G-1 Original

The original G1 has a permanent fur collar but is also available with a plain leather collar. I bought mine in San Diego at a leather jacket factory. It is made to current MIL-SPEC, which is cowhide leather with two exceptions; the collar is real sheep fur rather than imitation. And the patch pockets have side-entry hand warmer pockets. From W.W.II to the early1960s, the spec was Goatskin leather. It is the vintage airplane collector’s choice. I personally have the G-1 with the removable fur collar. You never know when the fashion police will show up. I suggest your regular jacket size for a typical fit and one size larger if you plan to wear a sweater underneath. Buy both, it's only money. All the Navy guys swear by this place here in San Diego. And you know San Diego is a real navy town. Their website is really cheesy, but their G-1, A-2, and B-3s are hard to beat in quality and originality. This is their link www.leather.com

green papaya

One Too Many
ANJ-3

Feraud

I use to have a Brill Brothers G-1 without a fur collar , back in the 80's a surplus store called CHARLIES MILITARIA in TX sold these for around $150

it's a high quality leather jacket with wool cuffs & waistband.

I think it was made for the civillian market, the wind flap didnt have USN stamped into it like the military issue G1's have

Feraud

Bartender
green papaya said:
I think it was made for the civillian market, the wind flap didnt have USN stamped into it like the military issue G1's have
That sounds right. As you can see this jacket does not have the USN stamped into the wind flap.
DSC06261.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
Although the g1 could use a good coat of Pecards I wore it last weekend.
The fit is near perfect and the construction (armhole cut, 2pc underarm gusset, shoulder pleat, etc.) make for a very comfortable wear. It is my new favorite leather jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24