Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G1 or A2

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Johnnynotoes said:
Andrew...After following this thread from it's inception I've noticed your displeasure with the topic and your periodic notes of displeasure in it's route. Why?

There are already plenty of threads on A2s and G1s. This thread would have been best as a poll as the original post was simply asking for a preference.

Johnnynotoes

Familiar Face
That Sir, is perhaps not your call. If you didn't feel enlightened by it then it wasn't for you. If not to your taste or opine then keep strolling. The thread, from it's attention and participaction seems validated. One plaintive comment about your dissatisfaction was enough. My apologies moderators.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Johnnynotoes said:
That Sir, is perhaps not your call. If you didn't feel enlightened by it then it wasn't for you. If not to your taste or opine then keep strolling. The thread, from it's attention and participaction seems validated. One plaintive comment about your dissatisfaction was enough. My apologies moderators.

One of the virtues of this forum that there is room for a whole range of opinions. You are entitled to yours just as I am to mine. Clearly my comments have struck a raw nerve with you which was not my intention at all.

jacksdad

New in Town
I have an A-2 and love it but I would love to get a G-1 someday I have one but it's too small for me, a 42 miltary so more of a 40 or so. it's from 1976 I'll have to sell it one day to get one that fits.

kampkatz

Practically Family
Welcome to the FL , Jacksdad. If you browse through all the leather jacket related topics you will learn a wealth of facts about flight jackets. Also, try the vintageleatherjackets.org site for more historical information and photos. You are always welcome to post photos of your latest finds, or ask any question you may have regarding A2's, G1's, etc. Someone will know the proper response, and be willing to help a new-comer.:)

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I scored an actual vintage 1962 Irvin B. Foster today while thrifting. :)

Will look for the appropriate thread to show it off there too.

I'm thinking this one might be up for sale to one of you here if there's interest. It's labeled 44. I usually take a 38L in a suit coat or blazer. I'm 6'1" and slim. This jacket fits like all of a 42 or maybe truly a 44. It's a very cool piece in surprisingly good shape. Zip works great, all buttons and parts are there. Lots more photos at the link at bottom.

DSC_0061.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

"U S N"
DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0037.jpg

THIS was in the pocket:
DSC_0049.jpg

DSC_0056.jpg

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii79/harpplayergene/62 Irvin G1/?start=20

Peacoat

Bartender
That jacket is definitely too big for you. It would destroy your cool as a harp player to be seen in it. You need to unload it and move on to other things. As one harp player to another, I might be able to help you out.

I'm not sure I can find your email address. Send me a pm with your address, and I will mail you back.

bobbyball

One of the Regulars
I think both jackets are superb. It is pure personal preference at the end of the day – the aaf had the a2, the G-1 was the equivalant for the USN so as a collector I am very interested in both.

I just found this thread and perhaps should have posted my query regarding a G-1 I have recently bought. It is by Flying Equipment Co of Chicago and appears to be an early pre G-1.

I am waiting for it to arrive but if it is what it says then I am very pleased. Although the label does not have a mil spec, the manufacturer is mentioned by John Chapman on his CD-Rom so they were a military contractor.

Here’s hoping the pictures are accurate – I’ll update when it arrives.

Peacoat

Bartender
Hi Bobby, I'm glad you posted the reference to the Flying Equipment Company of Chicago being in John's CD. When you asked the question in another thread yesterday, I knew I had heard of the company. I spent an hour or so going back through recent research I had done to see if I could find it. No luck. Then I thought it might have been in John's CD. I spent another hour looking for the CD without success. Even enlisted my wife's help. She is less than enthusiastic in matters of peacoats and leather jackets. No luck in finding the CD. I was pretty sure the company was a military contractor, but just couldn't nail it down enough to answer your inquiry.

I decided to put it out of my mind. Then I read your comment in the post above, and realized it had been John's CD where I had seen mention of the company. I'm glad you got the answer to your question, and thanks for the follow up post. Let us know how the G-1 turns out when you get it. Some pics would be nice also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
farmerboy