Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gent's attire tutorial for the ladies?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Possibly, many men were thinner than they wanted to be in the 30s and 40s. I've seen 40s style pants make a man look about 10 pounds heavier than flat-front pants and a t-shirt.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
Thinner than they wanted to be at the top. A size 40R 'mass market' suit of the 1930s had trousers with 35 inch waists ... which is in potbelly territory. Today's size 40R suits come with trousers with 32 or 33 inch waists.

The ones I see are usually 33" or, more commonly, 34".

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
Interesting. The ones I've come across here are usually 35 inches. Considering how long some men kept and wore their suits back then, it's very possible that with the onset of years (and fat), they let out the trousers at the waist.

Sorry, I should have been clearer: I meant the modern ones I see are 33' or 34'.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Orgetorix said:
Sorry, I should have been clearer: I meant the modern ones I see are 33' or 34'.

Now I understand!

It could be that the Los Angeles menswear market has a relatively small waist size. No kidding. The men who buy the really expensive RTW suits around here tend to live near the beach, go to the gym regulary, and get liposuction.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
Now I understand!

It could be the Los Angeles menswear market has a relatively small waist size. No kidding. The men who buy the really expensive RTW suits around here tend to live near the beach, go to the gym regulary, and get liposuction.

ahhh I do so love our fair city and its standards of appearance..... :p

berrybuzz

One of the Regulars
Perhaps it's a silly question (at least I feel silly for asking)...
How does the sizing work?

If you've never been fitted for a suit or owned one and were, say, shopping on ebay/online for a new suit, how would you know what size to buy?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
berrybuzz said:
How does the sizing work?

If you've never been fitted for a suit or owned one and were, say, shopping on ebay/online for a new suit, how would you know what size to buy?

Berry, check out the latest issue of Classic Style magazine. There's an article in it on buying suits via eBay. Detailed sizing lessons are given.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
50's suits

The late 50's for me is where you start to see what for me differentiates the classic look form the modern look. By about 1957 the cool hep cat types were wearing pegged trousers with low waists, and jackets with narrow lapels. This had totally taken over by 1960 or '61. Check out Bobby Darin in his prime or JFK. Likewise, the fedoras got very narrow brims. Cool in its time, but not my cup of tea today.
BTW, Lady Day, I love the new avatar!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff