Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

George Raft - Forgotten Style Icon.

An Uptown Dandy

New in Town
Raft did some great films. Are they remembered like Casablanca or High Sierra? Definitely not.

They Drive By Night is a great film. Of course, Bogart plays his brother in it so I'm not sure who we should give credit to for that one.

Probably his two most well remembered roles would be in Scarface and Some Like it Hot.

But Night After Night is also a great film, more remembered now because Raft secured a role for his friend Mae West, who proceeded to steal every scene in her first film appearance.

It just seems like he did consistently good films. There is a great film called You and Me with Sylvia Sidney, directed by Fritz Lang of Metropolis fame. Raft plays an ex-con on parole who is given a job at a department store owned by a man who likes to help out people with troubled pasts. Raft falls for co-worker Sidney, who turns out to be an ex-con as well. Great film.

I think its worth mentioning again that Raft was definitely a bigger star than Bogart during the 1930s. Bogart most likely surpassed him in the early 1940s by virtue of his quality films. But Raft was already starring in films such as Night After Night by 1932. Bogart secured the role in Petrified Forest, a supporting role, in 1934(?), reprising his Broadway role. He was still playing supporting roles in 1936 when he co-starred in Dead End. Raft could have just as easily turned down Dead End because it was a co-starring role and not the featured role that he had already become accustomed to. By 1937, Raft had secured his first (and only) Oscar Nomination for Souls At Sea with Gary Cooper. By 1939, Bogart was still playing supporting gangster roles in films like Angels with Dirty Faces and the Roaring Twenties, but he certainly was not the star of these films. These are still considered James Cagney vehicles. These are great films, but to say Angels with Dirty faces was a Bogart film would be like saying Scarface was a Raft film, and not a Paul Muni film.

Bogart finally got his break in the early 40s when Raft and Paul Muni both turned down High Sierra. Bogart then got another break when Raft turned down the Maltese Falcon in 1941 as well. For what its worth, Raft's contract stipulated that he did not have to do remakes, which was the stated reason for him declining to do the Maltese Falcon, which had originally been filmed in the pre-code era in 1931. Obviously, in hindsight, a bad decision.

But with the benefit of hindsight 70 years later, its easy (and of course true) to state that Bogart did films that are considered "better" today. But there was a reason that Raft was offered all of these films before Bogart - he was the more popular actor/bigger box office draw during the 1930s.

Last edited:

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Yes, Raft had more lead roles in the 1930s than Bogart, but in Quigley's annual ranking of the top 10 money-making stars in a given year, which goes back to 1932, his name never appears. Bogart made it eight times, Clark Gable, 16; James Cagney, 16; Gary Cooper, 18; Spencer Tracy, 10; Robert Taylor, 3; Fred Astaire, 3; Bing Crosby, 15; Dick Powell, 2; Jimmy Stewart, 7; Cary Grant, 3. Heck, even Will Rogers made it four times.

I love old movies. I watch them in bunches. And I've enjoyed any number of Raft movies over the years, but THEY DRIVE BY NIGHT comes the closest, I would say, to being an enduring classic (and his "nemesis" Bogart is in that one, too). I find Raft wooden and not terribly believable as an actor, but heck, that doesn't mean he's not worth being a fan of. Warren William never made the top ten, and I love his movies. And I do like Raft's sense of style. I certainly wouldn't pass on watching a movie just because he was in it.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Well of course no Hollywood mobster/actor ever assembled an art collection like Edward G.......

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
My God! All this fuss about George Raft..... as much I we all like him, if you were an actor who played gangster or played whatever in the 20s and 30s you had to dress well! you had to play the part!..... if we are going to pick on Mr Raft as a style icon we have to pick on all of them as styles icons!

All of them were style icons! every single one of them. Let's be fair ok?

Bogart, Cagney, EG Robinson. Paul Muni...etc... etc...etc....1920s and 1930s actors were all icons., they had to dress well, what's so amazing about it.
James-Cagney-and-Humphrey-Bogart-in-The-Roaring-Twenties-1939.png

Robinson-Edward-G-Little-Caesar_01-1024x779.jpg

paul_muni.jpg

An Uptown Dandy

New in Town
Hadley, you raise a good point lol

And real nice pics by the way!

I think, in my original poston my blog, I mentioned that we're talking about an era where the average man wore a single or doublebreasted suit with hat as a matter of course. So I guess the standard was probably higher for the stars of that era.

I tried to focus on Raft's connection to some of the more notorious underworld figures of the day - and the public's fascination with Raft's (real or imagined) connections to that world. The fact that Raft's wardrobe seemed to change very little when "on screen" versus "on the street" probably only added to the confusion or his authenticity, depending on your point of view. Obviously, at some point, this could be viewed as a sort of "marketing" gimmick," but I chose to focus on Raft because he toed the line for so long between the roles of Hollywood Star and Rackets tough guy (and since my blog posts are generally about well-dressed racketeers of the era, I thought I could sneak Raft in :)).

As I also mentioned on my blog, when Raft first arrived on the West Coast, law enforcement assumed he was representing Owney Madden on the West Coast. As someone else mentioned on this thread, this storyline was used in the plot of "The Cotton Club" film when Richard Gere's "Dixie Dwyer" character (patterned after Raft) is sent out West for a screen test and to simultaneously see to Madden's interests.

I guess if there is a point to be made from my rambling, its probably that of all the actors you mentioned, I'm not sure any of those guys were dressing like the gangsters they portrayed on the screen when they were walking around on the street. There was a clear demarcation between their roles and their real personality. As has been mentioned already, Raft had a hard time doing this for whatever reason, and in fact there may not have been much of a difference between Raft, the person, and his "on-screen" roles.

There was a thread that had some great posts about the concept of suits in the movies. There was some back and forth as to whether suits were costumes made to look good on film or if they reflected the style of the times. Also if they were more like what the wealthy might wear or the average Joe.

Chas

One Too Many
George stunk as an actor. And I'm a fan! I think he's cool; but as an actor he stunk. Well, to be fair he was only really good at playing one character- George Raft. The same more or less could be applied to John Wayne. My personal favorite Raft films are "Scarface" and "They Drive By Night" (Ida Lupino..... aaaauughhchhhhh....(Homer Simpson food-lust noise))

Bogie had a little more depth, but only a little. My greatest actor of all time is Toshiro Mifune.

George stunk as an actor. And I'm a fan! I think he's cool; but as an actor he stunk. Well, to be fair he was only really good at playing one character- George Raft. The same more or less could be applied to John Wayne. My personal favorite Raft films are "Scarface" and "They Drive By Night" (Ida Lupino..... aaaauughhchhhhh....(Homer Simpson food-lust noise)) Bogie had a little more depth, but only a little. My greatest actor of all time is Toshiro Mifune.

If you read some of the movie info on the IMDB website, you will see that certain actors often have a listing for parts in a film that reads like:

Gene Hackman as Lex Luthor as Gene Hackman.

Now i haven't seen anything list it out but is seems like they are indicating an actor that is who they are in every part for the most part.

John Wayne was john Wayne although later it could be the light hearted John Wayne or the darker John Wayne like in Liberty Valance or the Searchers.

Similarly Jimmy Stewart tended to be Jimmy Stewart and Clint Eastwood was Clint.

Some actors can be chameleons like Depp or Gary Oldman.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
If you read some of the movie info on the IMDB website, you will see that certain actors often have a listing for parts in a film that reads like:

Gene Hackman as Lex Luthor as Gene Hackman.

Now i haven't seen anything list it out but is seems like they are indicating an actor that is who they are in every part for the most part.

That is only done if an actor appears under a different (or slightly different) name than usual, e.g., "Bomba--Johnny Sheffield (as John Sheffield)".

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Of course he could dance!!!!!:eusa_clap also... he was one of the great loves of the Queen of MGM, Miss Norma Shearer!;)

look at him now!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

[video=youtube;UaQ7tUkp-FA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaQ7tUkp-FA[/video]
Another short bumfreezer jacket. Oh and some nice girls too (before you ask questions about my priorities) Whatever. Looks liek a nice movie. Didn't knew about it. Thank you for posting this, Hadley.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic