Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

P. & C. Habig, Hat Maker Since 1862, Wien, The Old House, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, early 1900s. This Holiday card took nearly 100 years to arrive at my house but still in time for New Years. :)

(Click on Image to Expand)

31903445676_a8105145b2_o.jpg

31793070052_d72ef41db4_o.jpg

31793161432_ea4d077cae_o.jpg

Printed by Druck Brüder Rosenbaum Wien

"Wiener Mode", measures 54cm, no company mark, probably late 1940s early 1950s. This tiny gem came with a Hückel Hat Box I found. There are no company marks but the brown Velour is fantastic. You can see the nap shine at the crown back edge. I can't make out the word after Wiener ???? (Made?) so if you have any ideas please let me know.

31812457992_5c08df3043_b.jpg

31923427976_19b1ac5d69_b.jpg

31923223266_a6b10ff128_b.jpg

31151045373_2c8153c107_b.jpg

31960154545_4290f33bef_b.jpg

Last edited:

Celia

A-List Customer
"Wiener ????", measures 54cm, no company mark, probably late 1940s early 1950s. This tiny gem came with a Hückel Hat Box I found. There are no company marks but the brown Velour is fantastic. You can see the nap shine at the crown back edge. I can't make out the word after Wiener ???? (Made?) so if you have any ideas please let me know.

31923223266_a6b10ff128_b.jpg

31151045373_2c8153c107_b.jpg
Beautiful verlour, and such a nice hat box as well, what a find! I would suggest the writing inside says "Wiener Mode", as in fashion, rather than Made.

Great hat, lovely lining. Do you think they were manufacturers? Looks like "Schick" is a germanization of "chic".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! I think it's probably a surname. They had 2 or 3 shops in Vienna. Not sure if they made anything themselves. There were so many hat factories in Vienna at the time, they had so many great options.

Last edited:

Celia

A-List Customer
Celia, Thanks! Yes has to be "Mode". Slip my mind and I always mentioning Mode Hut. Thanks again!

My pleasure, glad to be of help :)

Thanks! I think it's'probably a surname. They had 2 or 3 shops in Vienna. Not sure if they made anything themselves. There so many hat factories in Vienna at the time they had so many great options.

It is indeed a surname, the firm was founded by Wilhelm Schick, who died in 1934, aged 77. Here's his obituary notice:
wilhelm_schick_original.jpg

More genealogical information about Wilhelm Schick can be found here: https://www.geni.com/people/Wilhelm-Schick/6000000017674124363

Schick is also german for chic, so the name of the firm had a double meaning.

Last edited:

Celia

A-List Customer
Celia, Thanks for the verification! It's highly possible they used the meaning of the name for marketing purposes. I will have to take a look. Also if you find any please post! In America the brand Schick is famous for shaving razor blades. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schick_(razors)

Interesting, there is also a privately owned hotel chain in Vienna called Schick Hotels. Not sure if there's any relation. I have come across a couple of Hut Schick hats on the Austrian market, but haven't bought them as they were in bad condition. Here is a picture of their shop in the Alserbachstrasse (9. Bezirk), taken around 1935. on the shop it says Hutmacher, so I assume they did make hats, not just sell them:
1882771.jpg

And an advertising photo featuring the actor Otto Wilhelm Fischer ca 1955:
12844572.jpg

Both images courtesy of the Österreichische Nationalbibliothek, here are the source links:
http://data.onb.ac.at/rec/baa1882771
http://data.onb.ac.at/rec/baa12844572

Last edited:
Thank you for finding the photos. They are great! My guess is Hut-Schick started as hat makers. I haven't come across anything about a factory but it's possible. If you find anything please post. If I remember I will look through some copies of the Austrian Hat Makers News Paper and other documents.

I have come across other Hut-Schick hats but they have been either too small or damaged. Also I am mostly interested in Soft Felts and Stiff Felts are more prevalent. I checked my Hut-Schick Wool Melone and there are no paper labels behind the sweatband. I am fairly certain this hat (the Wool Stiff Felt production process was very specialized) was made in factory (it's possible they dressed it). I am going to wear it today! :) Here is the liner which lists the central location (photo you posted) and branches.

6466133503_e40c5b9b6d_b.jpg

Celia

A-List Customer
Thank you for finding the photos. They are great! My guess is Hut-Schick started as hat makers. I haven't come across anything about a factory but it's possible. If you find anything please post. If I remember I will look through some copies of the Austrian Hat Makers News Paper and other documents.

I have come across other Hut-Schick hats but they have been either too small or damaged. Also I am mostly interested in Soft Felts and Stiff Felts are more prevalent. I checked my Hut-Schick Wool Melone and there are no paper labels behind the sweatband. I am fairly certain this hat (the Wool Stiff Felt production process was very specialized) was made in factory (it's possible they dressed it). I am going to wear it today! :) Here is the liner which lists the central location (photo you posted) and branches.

6466133503_e40c5b9b6d_b.jpg
You're welcome :) I like the design of that liner logo. I don't have a lot of time to do more research at this moment, but when I'm back home in a week or so, I'd happily look into it some more. I will probably be in Vienna again some time in the new year as well.

This image (from Pinterest) of a hat which used to be on sale on ebay may help you a bit more in the mean time. It has a picture of the paper label with "O.H.S." Printed on it:
image.jpeg

I also found a few more things related to the firm:

image.jpeg

For sale here

Another one:
image.jpeg

For sale here

One of their cards with the receipt for hat repair work on the back:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

For sale here

Kuki

One of the Regulars
My pleasure, glad to be of help :)

It is indeed a surname, the firm was founded by Wilhelm Schick, who died in 1934, aged 77. Here's his obituary notice:
wilhelm_schick_original.jpg

More genealogical information about Wilhelm Schick can be found here: https://www.geni.com/people/Wilhelm-Schick/6000000017674124363

Schick is also german for chic, so the name of the firm had a double meaning.
Celia you're unstoppable, wow!!

Interesting, there is also a privately owned hotel chain in Vienna called Schick Hotels. Not sure if there's any relation. I have come across a couple of Hut Schick hats on the Austrian market, but haven't bought them as they were in bad condition. Here is a picture of their shop in the Alserbachstrasse (9. Bezirk), taken around 1935. on the shop it says Hutmacher, so I assume they did make hats, not just sell them:
1882771.jpg

And an advertising photo featuring the actor Otto Wilhelm Fischer ca 1955:
12844572.jpg

Both images courtesy of the Österreichische Nationalbibliothek, here are the source links:
http://data.onb.ac.at/rec/baa1882771
http://data.onb.ac.at/rec/baa12844572
Wonderful picture of the shop, I love the three dimensional sign on the outside in the shape of a hat.

You're welcome :) I like the design of that liner logo. I don't have a lot of time to do more research at this moment, but when I'm back home in a week or so, I'd happily look into it some more. I will probably be in Vienna again some time in the new year as well.

This image (from Pinterest) of a hat which used to be on sale on ebay may help you a bit more in the mean time. It has a picture of the paper label with "O.H.S." Printed on it:
View attachment 63985

I also found a few more things related to the firm:

View attachment 63980
For sale here

Another one:
View attachment 63981
For sale here

One of their cards with the receipt for hat repair work on the back:
View attachment 63983 View attachment 63984
For sale here
Great information... I just thought the little add with the top hat was cute, now I've learnt a lot about a shop/brand I didn't know anything about. Thank you guys!

Celia, Thank you again!

Wilhelm Schick is not listed in the 1926 Austrian Hat Industry Guide (1926).

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/217-austrian-hat-industry-guide-1926/

He is listed in some of my Austrian Hat Makers Newspapers as a member of the Vienna Hat Makers Cooperative.

December 5, 1933

31879532311_7f6ab778e9_o.jpg

Looks the Trachten hat is later (1950s?) and has a paper label. I guess O.F.S. might be a Schick after Wilhelm. A Trachten hat like this is not as difficult to make as the pre WWII Wool Melone (requires specialized machinery). It will great be great if you can find more.

Here is a liner from a Garner Wien Wool Melone from about the same time period. Notice that they list factory (Fabrik) locations too.

10905776886_0a5660bc7f_b.jpg

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/public/style_images/master/icon_share.png

Last edited:

Celia

A-List Customer
Thank you, I'll look more into it when I have some time. I assume O.H.S was Otto H. Schick, whose name is also on the shop front I posted. He was the son of Wilhelm Schick, and lived from 1899 to 1856, so the hat could be 1950s as you say.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy