Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting Started

Sharkman_75

New in Town
I apologize to the mods if what I'm asking is inappropriate as I'm sure you can tell, I'm a total n00b!

I'm reevaluating my wardrobe and want to become more stylish. I'd like to start incorporating suits and hats but don't have a small fortune to put towards it. I'm curious as to where one would start shopping?

It appears that Men's Wearhouse isn't the place. But any help would be much appreciated.

ortega76

Practically Family
I'd say it depends on your size, your budget and your patience.

First, what are you looking for in your wardrobe? Define stylish. What is appropriate for your lifestyle and what are you comfortable wearing? Are you looking for vintage or vintage reproduction? Do you want a more "modern" look with some classic touches?

If you're a college kid, a wardrobe of suits may be impractical (or at least cause you to REALLY stand out) but you can certainly add a blazer or three and some great shirts to your closet for a stylish, well put together look. Or try a classic trenchcoat or pea coat with a cool apple cap.

If it's vintage you want, then check out every thrift store you can. Scour e-bay or craigslist.com or garage sale or Salvation Army. In my experience, this takes a lot of patience and you'll have the most luck if you're a smaller framed guy.

Are you looking for something more modern? Easier to find.

E-Bay is a good source but if you are looking for bargains, the internet is a wonderful tool. Post holiday sales are great this year- so use the savings to invest in well-made classic pieces that can cover a lot of territory. A navy suit makes a great interview suit with a classic white shirt and dark tie. Go to dinner in the same suit with a pearl grey shirt (maybe sans tie) and then throw the jacket on over a pair of jeans to take your girl to a nice lunch on Saturday.

I really don't do vintage except for accessories, describing my personal style as classically modern. Check out some discount retailers like Filene's Basement, Marshalls or Value City. Pick though everything. Bring in purchases from other stores or your closet to mix and match outfits. Be discriminating, don't feel you have to buy everything. Be smart, buy a couple of suits in basic colors like charcoal and navy and rotate shirts as needed.

Above all, pay attention to the details.

Spend a few bucks on pocket squares. Even if you don't wear a tie, a pocket square really helps you look put together. You don't need to spend $75 on designer pocket squares, I've bought lots of mine for as little as $1 in discount men's stores or as fabric swatches at craft stores.

Don't forget the shoes! Few things look worse than a guy who buys a great suit and wears beat-down Doc Martens.

Think of your wardrobe as an investment. Save up and buy some really great stuff. Can't afford a bespoke suit or don't wear a suit veryoften, then try a custom shirt. I'm just getting back into a job that requires a business wardrobe after years of a retail gig in a tee shirt. I just picked up my first custom shirt in over 5 years and I forgot how great they look. Even if you don't drop the big bucks, try shirts with bold patterns and classic colors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland