Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ghosts, anyone?

jkath

New in Town
I've never believed in them myself, however, I may now. A dear friend in England has one residing in her home. He shows himself every day in the 10 o'clock hour and torments her cat regularly. She knows when he's behind her (yes, she knows it's a "he"...he used to live there) and she scolds him for smoking in the house. (She smells his tobacco and even those who don't know of him comment on the stench when they drop in) From what the neighbors say, he is searching for his pocketwatch. He was looking for it just before he passed on.

Steve

Practically Family
The paranormal has always fascinated me. There's too much documentation to discredit ghosts altogether, but I'm still undecided as to exactly what they are.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I had one experience..I'll spare the you the drawn out version. One night,many years ago, my sister and both got our hair pulled by an unseen spectre. I can still feel it now ((shiver))!!
flat-top

varga49

One of the Regulars
Through the 70's and 80's

my family and I lived in an old ranch house in South Texas. The original owner was said to have been born and died there. He was a semi famous(notorious?) county judge! On several occasions there were unsusal things that happened. I always attributed this to logical circumstance, That is, until family and friends spending the night on seperate occasions all described seeing the same old man wearing the same old clothes and hat. Never saw him myself but I've always wondered.

Section10

One of the Regulars
Interesting stuff

Although I have never seen anything that I could clearly label as a ghost, I still tend to believe in the possibility. There seems to be too many people out there who have seen them and other strange objects. My best friend has an incredible story of what he seen once and he has stuck tenaciously to it for 20 years. We've spoken of it often and it boggles the mind. I have no reason to doubt him.

On the other hand, I've seen strange objects in the sky at times like lights and other things that I don't understand. The most amazing thing I ever saw was several years ago in the pre dawn darkness I was driving alone down a highway in my car in the country. It was in late winter and still snow on the ground. A bright starry night with no moon. A large ice covered lake was to my right about 500' and I could see it through the open hardwoods. Then I saw a white light out over the lake a couple hundred feet up. It looked exactly like a street light. The light started to slowly move toward the road and left the lake and traveled over the treetops to a point a few hundred feet down the road ahead of me. By this time I had slowed right down to a crawl and was barely moving. It stopped above the road about treetop height and didn't move. A few seconds later, it shot right at me like it was coming through the windshield. I laid down on the seat of the car and it passed over the car very quickly without a sound perhaps only a few feet above me. I sat back up and it was gone. Nothing! I was kind of shaken, but that was the end of it. What that was all about, I'll never know.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
My First Avenue apartment in San Diego had some sort of spectre. I had noticed a grayish shadow that passed from the master bedroom down the hall to the hall bathroom. I first thought it had to do with outside lights or cars passing but it was in a hallway where no outside light intruded. I mentioned it one night to my friend, Victoria, who lived with me and she said she had seen it, too. She thought at first it was me getting up to go into the living room, but realized finally that it was, indeed, a shadow.Then, I found out that Victoria's caregivers (She has MS) had also seen it, but none of them had said anything about it, not wanting to scare us.

We even asked the landlord if anyone had died there, he said no and also said he was a non-believer. "Well," Victoria said, "you may be a non-believer, but there is something here."

When my mother came to visit, I did not say anything to her for several days. Then, after about 3 days, I told her that I didn't want to spook her but we had a "prescence" in the place. "Oh," she said, "you mean that shadow that passes outside from your door to the bathroom?" Yes, she had noticed it and thought, at first, it was me coming out of my room, but realized it was just a shadow. She also told me that it was benign, whatever it was. That I had sensed, too.

I enjoyed having it there, but one of our caregivers did an excorcism on it and got rid of it. I never saw it after that.

I wonder what was there before that apartment building?

karol

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Brief encounter on an airfield, somewhere in England!

I'm still keeping an open mind on things. Although I tend to be a natural sceptic until something is proven to me in some way. However, make of this what you will...

Two years ago I was in Norfolk and Suffolk (England), spending the week travelling around old USAAF WWII bases. Many of them are just fields now or old control towers in the middle of an industrial estate, long forgotten about, all very sad to me, but I had lots of fun clambering through these old shadowy buildings and hangers. And yes, some were very atmospheric, but no funny shadows lurking in corners I'm afraid.

But one, which the famous FLYING EIGHT BALLS flew out of, is now partially been put to use as a private aero club and they have a small museum (which is great!). It was lovely seeing an old historical airfield still being used as an active flying field.

Took me ages finding it, but when I did, with my wearing an old A-2 flying jacket, the guys there made me feel very welcome, asking me about the jacket. There wasn't any flying going on that morning, as a ground mist had set in, which happens in parts of East Anglia (as the area of the UK is called).

So after chatting to some of the pilots and club members, they assured me it would be safe to have a wander around as there was no flying until the mist cleared.

Had a look around the original hanger that now had private planes in there and guys working on them. Then a walk over part of the old peri track with my dog, "Becky." Up to that point I had her on the lead, but felt it was safe to let her off, play with a few pine cones, sniff for rabbits and do the things dogs love to do.

We found a nice little copse of woods just off the runway area where I played with Becky, throwing cones, which she loves to chase!. I could just make out the silohette of the main old hanger, but it was a real pea souper! I actually love being in mist (especially when hill walking) as it seems to wrap itself around you like a blanket, and deaden other noises, and it's comforting in a strange sort of way! go figure! So there we were, momentarily lost in our own little patch of mist.

Out of the blue, Becky dropped her prized cone totally losing interest, turned away from me, the hairs on her back standing up the centre, her body fully stiffened and she growled. Out of habit, I looked in the direction she was pointing and this guy in the wood no more than 10 metres from me walked past with his head angled down watching where he was walking (I assumed).

He like me was wearing an A2 styled flying jacket (because I was conscious of thinking, nice jacket!), and was carrying a bag/holdall. I reassured Becky and said to the guy that she was harmless. But maybe with the mist he didn't catch my words, as he just kept walking until he was swallowed up by the mist and trees. Of course, at the time you think, 'what is he doing out here?' but then anyone might ask the same of me and left it at that.

Later on I was having a coffee to warm me up in the bar area of the club and I was asking one of the older members about the history of the airfield. I told him about my walking the dog around part of the peri-track and playing with her by the small copse of woods. I didn't mention about meeting the guy strolling through the woods.

The old club member said that it was interesting I had wandered over to the woods, as no one bothers going near them, especially with the runway being so close. During the war the trees weren't there apparently. But the land at that end of the airfield had always been pretty boggy (as I can testify to!). Because it was boggy, you just didn't get people going into that area, or it being farmed. But here's the interesting thing. According to this guy a B24 bomber on landing from a mission, came off the run-way and skidded into the bogland. All crew were killed. What was left of the B-24 was left there and over a period of time the boggy earth swallowed her up. She's still there and folk have talked about digging up mementoes, but something to do with aviation fuel still there, makes it unsafe to dig. (I was thinking of calling a TV production company about bringing her up).

I asked this club member if there were any old wartime maps of the airfield and he kindly got me one to look at with him (over a pint of course), as he ran the little museum that they have in the corner of the club.

We orientated the map, I saw where the club house 'now' was. Where the woods were 'today,' and what was a quarter of a mile beyond the woods, well away from the run-way. It was the crew accomodation/living quarters. In the same direction this guy I met earlier was walking. Today, it is fields and barbed wire fences.

Never mentioned once my meeting with this guy in the wood wearing the A2 and carrying a bag (I know the type of bag, as I have one myself!). I'm sure it can all be explained away, I'm just still looking for that plausible explanation. Jury's out on this one!

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Here's my story

I went to a friend's wedding in Kentucky- some small town, I forget the name. The reception was in an old Gothic house. Naturally I was excited by the old home but as soon as I entered I looked up the stairway and got the sensation that there were people laughing IN the walls- I couldn't explain it. I kept wandering back to the foot of the stairs and thought, yes, there is definitely a crazy energy here. I talked with this friend not too long ago, and since he ended up divorcing the lady I said "I didn't want to say anything, but the house where you had the reception, while beautiful, was also creepy! I really felt like it was haunted." He then told me it used to be a funeral parlor.

GraveRobberGreg

Familiar Face
I have been interested in ghosts my whole life. The house I grew up in was not an old house but was haunted still the same. I can always remember hearinf voices calling my name when no one was home. Watching lights turn themselves on and off. Even watching empty boxes fly from the top of the stairs to the bottom. It always did something small to let you know it was there. I even saw a figure of a man walk in front of my window one night while at the neighbors house. Growing up with it was normal. We all talked to it like a member of the family.

Once when I was 13 I went and spent the day with a friend in West Virginia and his grabdmothers house. My friend was very excited about the visit because he would be able to spend some time with his best friend...who lived with my friends grandmother. I asked my friend why his friend lived there and he explained that 4 years prior he friends father (drunk & drug abuser) killed his mother witha hammer and then killed himself. His friend had no other family and he moved in with my friends grandmother. I hope this isnt too hard to follow.
While sleeping on the couch I was woke by the sounds of people talking. I sat up and saw my friends friend sitting in the chair across from me talking with a pretty young lady sitting next to him. I woke my friend up and asked who the girl was. Ihadnt seen her before and I thought it was strange that she was there cause it was so late. It was about 3am. My friends eyes got wider then I had ever seen. I asked, 'Whats wrong?" He jumped up and ran outside yelling, "Thats his mother!" I looked and let this info sink in and when I realized what he had told me I ran outside joining my friend on the porch where we stayed until the sun came up:)
The next morning we asked his friend about what we had saw and he didnt remember anything. He even got mad cause he thought we made the whole thing up. Well I know what I saw. I will add that she was a beautiful lady.

I even had the opportunity to tour the Queen Mary on a very late night adventure. I was ok until I entered into the pool area of the ship. My hands began to shake and my heart started to race. I couldnt explain what I was feeling. A fellow COW member IndianaTone was with me and he felt the same things. We toured the rest of the underbelly of the ship and ended up back at the pool area where some "drunks" were in the bottom of the pool with candles trying to speak with the ghosts. Neither Tone or myself felt anything this time. About a half hour later we found ourselves back again at the pool and once again it was empty and we both began to feel the same feelings again. We are not sure what IT was trying to tell us or why IT chose us but it sure got our attention. I cant wait for the QM this year. I can see many late nights exploring the ship.

For those of you that believe and have never seen anything. Keep looking cause oneday you will find what you have been looking for. Just make sure your ready;)

koopkooper

Practically Family
I was staying at a friends place in 1993 in Potts Point in Sydney in an apartment from twenties. I was bunking on the couch when in the early morning I woke to see a woman who looked like queen victoria hovered above me in blue. She seemed angry but didn't say anything.
Suddenly she was gone. I mentioned it too Jimmy the next day and he just shrugged and said "yeah I know, sorry she woke you but she lives here too and is a bit possesive".

Rigby Reardon

One of the Regulars
Hmmm...where's Lauren? She's got a couple QM stories, too, I believe...mine? Well, I'm not so sure it wasn't a ghost. But if it was, I almost wouldn't have known it. Kind of like seeing any other person, but this person just didn't belong there.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Rigby Reardon said:
Hmmm...where's Lauren? She's got a couple QM stories, too, I believe...mine? Well, I'm not so sure it wasn't a ghost. But if it was, I almost wouldn't have known it. Kind of like seeing any other person, but this person just didn't belong there.

I once had an experience like this, and wondered how many times we have have seen a spectre but did not recognize it as being one!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
The Lost Airman

From your story, Paddy, I'd say a TV crew would be all over thet Lost Airman in the Boggy Mists story! Trust Becky - dogs know these things better than we.

The ghost of a child lives here. Very unnerving at times.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
PrettySquareGal said:
I was just reading this article: Higher Education Fuels Stronger Belief in Ghosts . I know as one interested in antiques, Victorian houses and lonely places that I've sometimes sensed something other-worldly. I've never seen a ghost, though.

I wondered if anyone here has a good true ghost story? :eek:

Hmm,...sort of. In a backwards kinda round-about way ya might say.
How do I put this without seeming like a nut? Hmmm. Well, let's just say I was,.......err, I WAS a ghost for a few seconds once.At least once,.......a couple a times even! I have had several "out of body experiences" for lack of a better name for the phenomena. Believe it or don't, like it or not, call me a loony if ya want to,....I don't care. I only know for certain what it was that I experienced. (I'll elaborate further if ya care to hear it.)

Lancealot

Practically Family
Please do

Maj.Nick Danger said:
Hmm,...sort of. In a backwards kinda round-about way ya might say.
How do I put this without seeming like a nut? Hmmm. Well, let's just say I was,.......err, I WAS a ghost for a few seconds once.At least once,.......a couple a times even! I have had several "out of body experiences" for lack of a better name for the phenomena. Believe it or don't, like it or not, call me a loony if ya want to,....I don't care. I only know for certain what it was that I experienced. (I'll elaborate further if ya care to hear it.)

Elaborate away.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Well awright then,...elaborate I will,...

Lancealot said:
Elaborate away.

Kind of a long tale, so bear with me. It all happened a long time ago. I was about 13 or 14 I think, and just getting interested in paranormal things.
I read about astral projection in some book I got from a friend and I was of course intrigued by the possibillities. Developing the ability to travel outside the confines of the physical world! Just think of it!

So I tried it one evening, as I laid down in bed at night, per the instructions in the book. I felt myself actually floating up off of my bed, I heard strange etherial sounds just like the book said I would. I could not see anything yet, I think because I had not fully made whatever transition one has to make in order to experience this other dimension. But before I could actually cross over and become completely aware of these new surroundings, that is, before my senses fully functioned "there", where ever "there" was, I was startled by a sudden and sharp rebuke. I heard the voice, or rather the tone of voice, I could not make out the words, of an older woman. Very adamant, even angry with me for attempting what I was doing, or rather about to do.
I then felt as if I had been violently thrown back into my physical body. I became fully aware again of this world, and I was quite shaken by the experience, and also glad that I was turned back.

There are many parrallel dimensions in space/time that are just now being discovered and proven to exist by modern theoretical physics, but I know from my experience that we are not meant to trespass in them,not of our own volition maybe, or just out of curiosity.

To this day, I believe that the voice I heard was that of my grandmother, who had died only a few months before I was born.

Soon after this experience, I had another similar experience, only this time I did not initiate it. No time to relate this one now,...more at a later time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot