Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gin Lovers Unite!

rumblefish

One Too Many
Ethan Bentley said:
Although some I know argue that Campari is worse.

Fair warning; I like Cynar, I love Campari.

Ethan Bentley said:
Nonetheless I shall endeavour to try the Cynar, the artichoke on the label is mighty appealing.
Any recommendations of how to mix? Or should I just knock it back and think of England?

Knock it back!... With a devil-may-care attitude.:cool: Cheers.

rumblefish said:
Suze has nothing on Cynar.
If I remember Suze at all, it has a similar in taste to Angostura Bitters. I don't know what I would compare Cynar to except bitter Artichokes. I have an idea what jamespowers might compare it to.:eek: :D
Keep an open mind, be brave, and give it a try.:)
Remember despite it's taste,,,it can't kill you.

I would say it tastes like dirt but I have never tried dirt and don't want to insult dirt---I grow things in dirt. :p
It might not kill you but keep a five gallon bucket handy. :rolleyes:
The only thing I can stand gentian in is Moxie. ;)

rumblefish

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
I would say it tastes like dirt but I have never tried dirt and don't want to insult dirt---I grow things in dirt. :p
It might not kill you but keep a five gallon bucket handy. :rolleyes:
The only thing I can stand gentian in is Moxie. ;)
lol lol lol lol lol

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
PADDY said:
...Beefeater.

Has anyone tried Beefeater 24 yet?

beefeater_104805t.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Beefeater 24...

Never even heard of it. Is it new on the market?[huh]

I've been trying Gins for a cocktail I have been mastering recently, and many of the Gins were being overpowered by the other flavours, but Beefeater is BEEFY enough to hold its' own on this one, so have gone with it.

But there's so many 'new' ones out there (And old defunct ones that have been resurrected and rebranded) such as an old Belfast Gin which I'd be keen to try out.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
PADDY said:
Never even heard of it. Is it new on the market?[huh]

I've been trying Gins for a cocktail I have been mastering recently, and many of the Gins were being overpowered by the other flavours, but Beefeater is BEEFY enough to hold its' own on this one, so have gone with it.

But there's so many 'new' ones out there (And old defunct ones that have been resurrected and rebranded) such as an old Belfast Gin which I'd be keen to try out.

It is relatively new, it's only been out a few months. I picked up a bottle at a great whisky shop near London Bridge, rather my wife did.
We had a little tasting session with friends trying it in different form. Surprisingly it seemed to work best on it own although a Martini works quite well.
I'm very interested in the fact that you are perfecting a cocktail, something that really interests me. So far I've worked on the Brandy Alexander and an Espresso variant. Be great to hear about yours once you're satisfied with your work. :)
I am a big fan of Gin and have probably tried most of what is available in the UK. This is partly why I'm looking forward to my trip over to the US in July, if I can find a well stocked bar I shall be happy.

Great to hear about another enthusiast.
Mixology is it an art or a science? :D

univibe88

One Too Many
PADDY said:

I love Beefeater for the same reason. I like the spicy, juniper flavor. Many new gins to the market are going after vodka drinkers so they have made a softer product.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
rumblefish said:
Fair warning; I like Cynar, I love Campari.

Knock it back!... With a devil-may-care attitude.:cool: Cheers.

I tried it this weekend with a friend who insisted on sipping it, which prolonged his agony. As mentioned I just knocked the glass back.

My thoughts: about what I expected but it wasn't as bad as Campari. I think that if/when I drink it in the future I shall drink it neat. My friend then wanted to have it with tonic - I thought this made it worse.

There were a few cocktails on the back but I've not tried them yet.

All in all, I'm glad I've tried it :)

rumblefish

One Too Many
Ethan Bentley said:
I've just tried Seagram's Grape Gin - has anyone else tried any fruit-flavoured gins?
How was it? Did you mix it?

I have,,, still have Gordons grapefruit gin and spearmint gin. Awful, the both of them. I've made a few gimlets with the grapefruit gin, but it winds up tasting like a lime popsicle,,, not in a good way. I pawn it off on less sophisticated taste buds, "oooh, you know what you would like?.. I've got this grapefruit gin...":eek:
The spearmint is completely useless...*yucky* I have a half case of each that a liquor salesman/friend gave me. All the good stuff from him is long gone.;)

rumblefish said:

I have,,, still have Gordons grapefruit gin and spearmint gin. Awful, the both of them. I've made a few gimlets with the grapefruit gin, but it winds up tasting like a lime popsicle,,, not in a good way. I pawn it off on less sophisticated taste buds, "oooh, you know what you would like?.. I've got this grapefruit gin...":eek:
The spearmint is completely useless...*yucky* I have a half case of each that a liquor salesman/friend gave me. All the good stuff from him is long gone.;)

With Salesman friends like that, who needs enemies? ;) :p

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
With the Myriad of Botanicals added to many gins today, that kind of seems like a redundant question. ;) :p Grape, however, is a new one to me. I have not tried any specifically produced one fruit flavored gin. How was it? :D

Haha I wonder if someone would make that comment :D

It wasn't too great, Seagram's also do Lime (had that), Raspberry, Apple and Orange gin.
I had it on it's own it was purple grape flavour but with the gin it tasted a bit like bubblegum.
In a gin and tonic - I just couldn't finish it. *the shame*.

I had some Skyy Grape Vodka today which was better.

Rumblefish sounds interesting, even though I know it'll probably be foul the Gordon's Grapefruit is something I'd love to try someday. I'm a bit of a Gin nut (ever been any nut-flavoured Gin?) particularly Gordon's.

On that note - has anyone ever heard of Gordon's Jamaica Cane Gin?

I've had a few new Gin's lately, in order of preference; Quintessential, New Amsterdam, Booth's "High and Dry", Omega and Churchill.

The first two were really great so it balances the grape out :)

Boodles

A-List Customer
rumblefish said:

Well Mr Fish, have you tried soaking your oysters in that grapefruit/spearmint gin or soaking a musty smelling vintage hat in it? Half a case left? Holy moly. I know, what about the guy Atticus Finch is telling us about, the boiled chitlins guy? He might sucker on it. Gordon's ought to refund your dough on that stuff. They saw you comin' on that one.

Cigarband

A-List Customer
Spitfire said:
It's got to be Gordons!

gin.jpg

Way back in 1985, I spent a couple of weeks in England visiting friends. Being a Gordon's drinker, I toured the distillery. Much to my surprise, when the tour reached the filling line, I saw that every other bottle being filled was a Tanqueray bottle! I was told that the Gordon's sold in the USA, was distilled by license in the USA, and that English Gordon's could not be imported. So they imported it as Tanqueray. When I returned home, I tried both again in a blind taste test, and there was a noticeable difference. Tanqueray was MUCH better. I don't know if this is the current situation, but I do know that both companies are owned by the same international holding company.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot