Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Girdles, Corsets, and Underpinnings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clara Noir

Familiar Face
KittyT said:
No, a girdle will not reduce your rib measurement. I'm pretty sure the only way you can do that is through years of tightlacing.

Probably just pretty lingerie in white, just like today. Except that probably means sheer nylon panties instead of a thong and a girdle instead of a garter belt.

Darn it, I thought nothing would rework the ribs. I'm just going to have to do the old fashioned not eating much and then taking the dress to my auntie to adjust if need be. I just hoped, since some girdles come up to high, almost to your bra, that they might squeeze a bit.

The thought of wearing a thong on my wedding day makes my bum clench, so I will definitely be going the vintage way with that. I imagined it would just be a nicer, newer, whiter and maybe lacier set of the brides normal undies that she'd wear on the big day. It does seem most logical, and in keeping with what is done now.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
deadpandiva said:
I have avoided this thread because I have juch a hard time with Corsets and Girdles. I have had my eye on the Rago Corselet but I think it would turn out to be too large on top. Also I have an open bottom girdle and it pulls me in alot but then my thighs rub together and start to smoke. :mad:
I have one that looks a little like bike shorts but it rids up at the inner thigh.

I think I'm just destined to be lumpy.:(

Have you thought about a waist cincher? I don't know how they would work under 30's or 40's dresses, but work great with 50's full skirted dresses. Mine stops right at the hip bones and comes up to my bra band. It firms and smoothes the whole midsection without squishing your thighs.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Clara Noir said:
Darn it, I thought nothing would rework the ribs. I'm just going to have to do the old fashioned not eating much and then taking the dress to my auntie to adjust if need be. I just hoped, since some girdles come up to high, almost to your bra, that they might squeeze a bit.

Well you can always order one from Girdlebound and return it if it doesn't work.

The thought of wearing a thong on my wedding day makes my bum clench, so I will definitely be going the vintage way with that. I imagined it would just be a nicer, newer, whiter and maybe lacier set of the brides normal undies that she'd wear on the big day. It does seem most logical, and in keeping with what is done now.

Yes, that is likely exactly what they did :)

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Clara Noir said:

Have you considered a long-line bra? I don't think it'd do a lot, but it might squish things around a little. Plus, depending on where your tattoos are, it might eliminate the need for a slip as well.... Other than that, letting out the dress is probably the only way to go. Luckily, many vintage pieces have a little more seam allowance than modern.

Best wishes!

Joie

kerry

One of the Regulars
Hi Ladies, I have the Rago underbust girdle which I love but am considering getting the waist cincher. I have a bit of a wobbly tum, well more than a bit really and just wondered if anyone with a wobbly tum has tried one and can tell me if its worth me trying one. I know exercise is the real answer and Im starting tomorrow, honest;)
Kerry xxx

SarahLouise

Practically Family
kerry said:
Hi Ladies, I have the Rago underbust girdle which I love but am considering getting the waist cincher. I have a bit of a wobbly tum, well more than a bit really and just wondered if anyone with a wobbly tum has tried one and can tell me if its worth me trying one. I know exercise is the real answer and Im starting tomorrow, honest;)
Kerry xxx

Definitely! That is why I got the cincher and not the girdle as it helps my problem area more. As I've mentioned before, someone thought I was a size UK 10 when I was wearing mine and I'm a 12-14 so it really does wonders!

kerry

One of the Regulars
SarahLouise said:
Definitely! That is why I got the cincher and not the girdle as it helps my problem area more. As I've mentioned before, someone thought I was a size UK 10 when I was wearing mine and I'm a 12-14 so it really does wonders!
Thanks SarahLouise, I'm going to order one tonight, just got to decide between black or white now, I ended up getting one of each in the girdles.

Smuterella

One Too Many
I'd say start with black, you can always wear a white full slip over it if you have a light dress on and it won't show

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
To be frank, it depends on how much skin/fat(if any) is around your ribs, and your bust. If you're all ribs you won't see big results.
That said, depending on how it's made, I would definitely say it would squeeze you in a little. If not, try a corset. Corsets take me in tremedousley.
You might even have luck with a bust reducing bra, ect.
If not, just let the seams out a bit if possible, or perhaps adding a panel under the arms or in the back.
Does it zip up the side or back? You could open up the dress in back and add a "corset panel" to adjust however you want.

There are some dresses that I can't get into with my padded bra, and when I try it without, wow what a difference. Bittersweet, I know!
Nikki

Clara Noir said:
Does anything have this effect? I have minimal belly lard, my waist is naturally small. I have bought a 50s dress I want to wear as my wedding dress later this year, but it's a little bit too small around my ribs. It limits movement a bit too much for my liking. So, do any of these foundations reduce rib measurements? It's a fairly thin material; you can see my tattoos through it, so i will also need a slip to go under it. Extra bulk. Argh.

Up until now I've never needed anything except a padded bra and suspender belt to complete a look. Also, and I don't want to break and forum rules by asking this, but if anyone has any pics of what a 50s brides underwear would be like, please either post a link, or pm me or whatever would be most appropriate.

Thank you!:eek:

Joli7211

Familiar Face
I got my first corset. Way cool. Only thing is, the lace that it came with kind of frayed. So now I'm looking to find something to use to lace up my corset. What would you recommend? Thanks! Oh! And how much lacing should I get (in length). TIA

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Joli congrats! I would suggest real corset laces. I get mine from Amazon Drygoods.
Nikki
Joli7211 said:
I got my first corset. Way cool. Only thing is, the lace that it came with kind of frayed. So now I'm looking to find something to use to lace up my corset. What would you recommend? Thanks! Oh! And how much lacing should I get (in length). TIA

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Smuterella said:
I'd say start with black, you can always wear a white full slip over it if you have a light dress on and it won't show

Oh, not true, my dear. A black girdle WILL show, even with a slip over it. Your best bet for not showing at all is to get NUDE. Even white will show through a light dress with a full slip on.

Smuterella

One Too Many
I'm not a perfectionist and would rather make do with a black one showing a little, hardly at all with my modern full slip, than buy two before being sure.

and nude for me is a total nono, just so unnattractive

I'm an unattractive nude.

I make corsets & use long boot laces to tie them lol

I'm considering making a waspy, as I find a corset too restricting to wear under clothes, plus I have some major wobbles to hide round my tummy area. Anyone have any opinions.

My issue is that I have a very delicate tummy & sometimes it gets a bit bloated when I eat (sometimes! What a joke!) I worry that wearing a corset or waspy will make me even more uncomfortable.

I promise, today I am going to go and buy a swimming costume and start working on my wobbles, but for now, you can't say no to a bit of help can you ;)

PS

A-List Customer
Yes Rago does flesh tones but I've found they are harder to come come by.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Smuterella said:
I just don't feel sexy in flesh tones

I think it's all about how you wear it. To me, flesh tones are no less attractive than white. My personal take on it, is that I'd rather look great and well put together with a nude-colored girdle (or white) that doesn't show through than wear one that shows through and looks sloppy. To me, that's just a huge no-no, like wearing pattered panties that show through white pants.

At the very least, a white one is a better choice, since you can wear it under light and dark colors without it showing, which is not the same for black.

But each to their own, I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran