Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Girdles, Corsets, and Underpinnings

Status
Not open for further replies.

PS

A-List Customer
I searched and searched last night as I HAVE TO HAVE that high waisted shaper that more than likely doesn't shape much, and it looks like it is a UK only line. :rolleyes: [huh] :(

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Ooh I've not seen that one on the left before, it's really nice! Less Wonderbra-y than the others!

What Katie Did's new range is rather fab too. It's a shame all the shapewear is only in black though. Looks nice in photos, not so great for under pale clothes!

PS

A-List Customer
I contacted Herroom.com regarding the Dita for Wonderbra collection...

This was the response.

Hello Stephanie - Thank you for your inquiry. Yes, we are familiar with
this. It is only available in Europe at this time. Of note is a European
blog who actually has tried on the items. Apparently the bras have wires
along the top of the cups that look and fit strangely. The garments are
considered more for wearing in the bedroom than under clothing. I hope this
answers your question. IF I may be of any further assistance, please feel
free to contact me.

Fleur, ohh that new WKD would be perfect in a pinky peach.

newtovintage

One of the Regulars
Make your own?

Is it possible to make your own girdle with garters? Is there a pattern for a 1940's period correct girdle that wouldn't be very expensive? Also are girdles comfortable enough to wear when your doing every day things like sitting, bending, etc.? What are some place that have period correct girdles that wouldn't make me penniless?
Sarah

Sunny

One Too Many
newtovintage said:
Is it possible to make your own girdle with garters? Is there a pattern for a 1940's period correct girdle that wouldn't be very expensive? Also are girdles comfortable enough to wear when your doing every day things like sitting, bending, etc.? What are some place that have period correct girdles that wouldn't make me penniless?
Sarah
I've seen hundreds of [pictures of] vintage patterns, and I don't recall yet finding one for a girdle. I think finding the materials alone would've been cost-prohibitive back then; 1940s girdles used a variety of stuff, whether the heavy knit material for a simple tube OB, or the combination ones with elasticized/rubberized panels and brocades. Plus there's the hooks and eyes or lacing or zipper, buckles, different waist and bottom elastics, stretch trim, various woven tapes and bindings, etc. Finding the garters themselves is by far the easiest job.

The rest of your questions are pretty easily answered if you read back through this thread. There's an enormous amount of information here!

Leila de la May

New in Town
I really love corsets too, like so many of you here, I think they are wonderful. :D
Currently I am actually researching and making one for myself, and during my research I came upon the most interesting diary of a young teenagers experience of her first real set of corsets.

http://www.victoriaspast.com/MyFavoriteHouse/diary.htm

I don't know if any of you have read it but it's very interesting (though also quite long, I myself haven't read the whole thing) however I would thouroughly recomend it, some of the things she experienced seam really quite torturous, I'm just glad we don't have to go through it now.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Hey there gals, a little something I discovered this weekend that I thought I'd share....

I went on a mad bra shopping spree and had been looking at bras at Macy's. Then I went to Sears and discovered that Sears has the *exact* same styles (for Maidenform and Vanity Fair) in the same fabrics, but made specially for Sears (so different tags and model numbers) for an average of $10 less (or more!)

PS

A-List Customer
vanessa-6535-green.jpg

I have been looking at this Grenier Corsolette for over a year now. I finally decided I would buy it. But with additional 20 to dye it and 20 for shipping, I couldn't. I was around 130. It's just more than I am willing to spend. Yesterday I started looking for others that zipped and found the
Naturana Zip Front Corsolette
It nearly identical. Even shipped from the UK I am few dollars shy of 30!! I am so excited!

naturana83244S.jpg

Kitty,
Were there any bras that you consider must haves? I tend to be an overly loyal bra buyer.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
PS said:
It nearly identical. Even shipped from the UK I am few dollars shy of 30!! I am so excited!
naturana83244S.jpg

Awesome. The Rago corselette has never worked for me. Now I've realized that it's probably because I was ordering the wrong size cups. I may try again.

Were there any bras that you consider must haves? I tend to be an overly loyal bra buyer.

Nothing vintagey. I was just getting basics (2 plunge pushups, 2 balconettes, 2 seamless). There's a very, very pretty Maidenform lace balconette bra that comes in white and black - for I believe $13
3549_z.jpg

They also have some really nice contour bras (with molded cups and the smooth, no-show back straps) for around $20, I believe. Contour bras are usually pretty plain, but this one has a pretty scalloped edge and comes in a fun black with leopard print inside :)

This one is the best and I love it - Felina Hint of Skin bra, lightly padded, seamless and tagless. The most flattering bra I've ever owned. I guess I would consider something like this to be a must-have.
6502.jpg

Target also had some Gilligan and O'Malley pretty lace briefs with a vintage feel to them. They're completely lovely, but unfortunately being discontinued. I found a 2 pack on sale for $6. I think I'm going to comb every Target store around for more in my size. Can't find a photo...

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
newtovintage said:
Sarah

I have found that eBay is the way to go for girdles. You can find new ones for usually $10-20 less than retail and vintage ones for less, if you are a smaller size. Yes, they are comfortable to wear for everyday. They wore them everyday, after all.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
How long do your bras last? In the spring, I bought some high-end bras that were really worth the money. It's the first time in my life I've had well-fitting underwire bras that really did the trick. Now, I've notice that I have to keep adjusting the strap tighter, I have to wear the hooks on the last set, because the elastic doesn't seem to be as tight. I have 4, so I'm not wearing the same one every day. Is this typical will well-fitting underwires? Before this, I was wearing cheap soft-cup granny bras that really had no lift and I wore them for years.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
kamikat said:
I have found that eBay is the way to go for girdles. You can find new ones for usually $10-20 less than retail and vintage ones for less, if you are a smaller size.

Huh, I've had the exact opposite finding. Most nice vintage girdles are very expensive and most newer Rago girdles I find are at comparable prices to Girdlebound or other stores. I looked forever for a deal on a Rago waist cincher and never found it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy